Tv And Books Is It A Waste Of Time?

Nameless

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ke fateh

I was wandering what is the difference between watching TV and reading a book????

Because watching tv is just a waste of our lives, because we cant think of GOD

BUT>>

Reading a book (fictional)... is that not the same????

We cannot think of GOD, but yet we stop watching TV and read these fictional books!!

A book usually take longer to read (couple of days)- wasting more time

Where as a film is finished in about 1-2 hours

I dont think theres any problem with watching Tv or reading books as long as u dont waste lots of time on it

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ke Fateh

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Narinder Singh
Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ke fateh

I was wandering what is the difference between watching TV and reading a book????

BUT>>

We cannot think of GOD, but yet we stop watching TV and read these fictional books!!

I dont think theres any problem with watching Tv or reading books as long as u dont waste lots of time on it

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ke Fateh

Youre not wasting time by watching TV or reading a book, it depends on what you watch and read.

Knowledge is power my friend, thats why God gave us a brain.

Fateh.

Guest Gupt Singhni

Its not a sin to watch tv or read books but it is a waste of time because it does not do any good for our soul. However it can lead to sin. It depends what you read and watch.

Just make sure you don't get attached to it, as it is just Maya and takes you away from God. If you can't remember God while engaging in these pleasures then you should avoid them.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ke fateh

BUT>>

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ke Fateh

it depends on what your goal in life is.

a tv /films soaps etc just play with your mind, and its false anyway, its just acting and u know that these people are just acting and even though there are some masterpeices out there, most of our average tv programes are absolute garbage, and thats what we are when we watch them. people will argue that there a films showin history and thats good for kids, and yes that is good for everyone its something where we can learn without actually learning cos we go into a trance in a film. same with fiction books too, people get too much into these things and then want to keep reading till its finished and make up fantasies in there head, and this gives alot of people comfort and temporarily they feel satisfied. Theres some people who dont even get comfort out of it and just watch films n tvs for the hell of it, then theres the freshy type who want to re en act a hindi film in their life and dream about dancing on some hil.

one thing to remember is that the mind produces around a 1000 thoughts a second, and the more we feed the mind the less clarity we will have.

also the mind is to serve the body but usually the case is we serve our mind and its wants are infinite...........so wateva you do be aware and think about your actions and how they can beifit you, do you really call it relaxing time sitting infront of the tv? ......

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ke fateh

BUT>>

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ke Fateh

Youre not wasting time by watching TV or reading a book, it depends on what you watch and read.

Knowledge is power my friend, thats why God gave us a brain.

Fateh.

yes ur right it depends on what you watch........... god gave us a brain to store the knowledge and the mind to decide what to store..

if you are after knowledge then why not dedicated life to understand and read the guru granth sahib ji, the knowledge in the shabad is so great and contains all and more of what anyone could possibly know , it is infinite and undescribable and you will definitley have power, dont then rely on propably a biased veiw of some film maker or wateva.

The point is not to run away from the world because it takes you away from Maharaj; the point is to become so spiritually strong that you can be close to Maharaj even while living in this world.

If you can watch TV and read books and still have Vaheguru on your mind, then that's the true character of love.

Guest Gupt Singhni
The point is not to run away from the world because it takes you away from Maharaj; the point is to become so spiritually strong that you can be close to Maharaj even while living in this world.

If you can watch TV and read books and still have Vaheguru on your mind, then that's the true character of love.

The game of love is more than that. Someone who loves God would not waste their time watching tv or reading books unless its to gain knowledge or for education.

pyiK pyiK ry ksuMB kI lIlw rwic mwic iqnhUM lau hsUAw ] CIjq foir idnsu Aru rYnI jIA ko kwju n kIno kCUAw ]2]

paekh paekh rae kasu(n)bh kee leelaa raach maach thinehoo(n) lo hasooaa || shheejath ddor dhinas ar rainee jeea ko kaaj n keeno kashhooaa ||2||

Watching, watching the transitory dramas of the world, you are embroiled and enmeshed in them, and you laugh with delight. The string of life is wearing thin, day and night, and you have done nothing for your soul. ||2||.

ਕਉਤਕ ਕੋਡ ਤਮਾਸਿਆ ਚਿਤਿ ਨ ਆਵਸੁ ਨਾਉ ॥

कउतक कोड तमासिआ चिति न आवसु नाउ ॥

Ka­uṯak kod ṯamāsi­ā cẖiṯ na āvas nā­o.

In the midst of millions of games and entertainments, the Lord's Name does not come to their minds.

kQnY khix n CutIAY nw piV pusqk Bwr ]

kathhanai kehan n shhutteeai naa parr pusathak bhaar ||

No one is saved by mere talk and speech, nor by reading loads of books.

lyKw piV n phUcIAY kiQ khxY AMqu n pwie ]

laekhaa parr n pehoocheeai kathh kehanai a(n)th n paae ||

By reading books, one cannot reach Him; by speaking and talking, His limits cannot be found.

AklI piV@ kY buJIAY AklI kIcY dwnu ]

akalee parrih kai bujheeai akalee keechai dhaan ||

Wisdom does not come by reading textbooks; wisdom inspires us to give in charity.

The game of love is more than that. Someone who loves God would not waste their time watching tv or reading books unless its to gain knowledge or for education.

pyiK pyiK ry ksuMB kI lIlw rwic mwic iqnhUM lau hsUAw ] CIjq foir idnsu Aru rYnI jIA ko kwju n kIno kCUAw ]2]

paekh paekh rae kasu(n)bh kee leelaa raach maach thinehoo(n) lo hasooaa || shheejath ddor dhinas ar rainee jeea ko kaaj n keeno kashhooaa ||2||

Watching, watching the transitory dramas of the world, you are embroiled and enmeshed in them, and you laugh with delight. The string of life is wearing thin, day and night, and you have done nothing for your soul. ||2||.

ਕਉਤਕ ਕੋਡ ਤਮਾਸਿਆ ਚਿਤਿ ਨ ਆਵਸੁ ਨਾਉ ॥

कउतक कोड तमासिआ चिति न आवसु नाउ ॥

Ka­uṯak kod ṯamāsi­ā cẖiṯ na āvas nā­o.

In the midst of millions of games and entertainments, the Lord's Name does not come to their minds.

kQnY khix n CutIAY nw piV pusqk Bwr ]

kathhanai kehan n shhutteeai naa parr pusathak bhaar ||

No one is saved by mere talk and speech, nor by reading loads of books.

lyKw piV n phUcIAY kiQ khxY AMqu n pwie ]

laekhaa parr n pehoocheeai kathh kehanai a(n)th n paae ||

By reading books, one cannot reach Him; by speaking and talking, His limits cannot be found.

AklI piV@ kY buJIAY AklI kIcY dwnu ]

akalee parrih kai bujheeai akalee keechai dhaan ||

Wisdom does not come by reading textbooks; wisdom inspires us to give in charity.

Of all the tuks you mentioned, Guru Sahib is saying that you're wasting your time reading and watching BECAUSE you're not remembering Akal Purakh. Well if you remember Akal purakh while watching them, then that's a different story altogether.

Guest Narinder Singh

When one reads gurbani their thoughts and curiosity grow, they become more aware of their sorroundings and are astonished and amazed by wahegurus beatiful creation.

To "faith" based sikhs, knowledge is dangerous and a threat to sikh, to true sikhs (ones who dont believe in god, THEY KNOW GOD EXISTS), wanting to know more about wahegurus creation is loving his creation.

Dont stop reading books or watching TV, realize what and why your watching or reading what you are. Question yourself, not the source.

Fateh.

and if u watch devotional or religious movies like Nanak Naam Jahaz Hai (1969), Nanak Dukhiya Sab Sansar (1970), Sawa Lakh Se Ek Ladaun (1976), Guru Manio Granth (1979), Dukh Bhanjan Tera Naam (1974) etc Is it still bad?

When i watched all those movies i remembered WAHEGURU but by this i got knowledge about Sikhism. I enjoyed but still learned things. So i don't think it always bad.