A Wedding Which Took Place This Weekend

sikh_youth_uk

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fathe

Well in the midlands the Gurdwaras came together around a month ago and decided that they will put in place a procedure for mixed race weddings (there needs to be a clear distinction between inter faith and mixed race, as in one senario the people getting married have different races and in the other different faiths) the procedure is as follows :-

· The Akal Thankt Marayda on Mixed Marriages had clarification sent to the UK after a meeting by over 200 Gurdwara presidents at Siri Guru Singh Sabha Gurdwara Coventry on the 15th of July . This was following bombings and threats made at other Gurdwaras.

· The clarification states that the non-sikh party will have to do the below:

1. Include Singh/Kaur in the name (Thus changing Passport/Driving Licence etc..)

2. Define themselves as Sikh as per Sikh Rehat Maryada (Pay homage to Guru Granth Sahib and Guru Jees, State that they follow no religion except Sikhism.

3. Acknowledge the importance of the institution of the Amrit Sanchar and understand that they will work towards taking Amrit.

4. Bring there Children up as Sikhs only.

So if the non punjabi person accepts the above conditions they are permitted as per akal takhat to be married in a Gurdwara. I was shocked to learn that there are certain youths who have been petrol bombing the cars of commitee members where these weddings take place, even where the above conditions are fullfilled the threats are still being made. How can these people class themselves as Gursikhs. May Guru ji bless his panth with ekta and love.

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fathe

Many of these people who think they are born in “Sikh” families drink alcohol, cut their hair, don't believe in God, and may even practice un-religious activities. When they get married they tie big red turbans, grow temporary beards and hold big swords. The men and women decorate themselves and spend thousands of pounds on decorations, but they are failing to decorate themselves in the love for a Gursikhi Jevaan.

How many people on this forum actually see the Anand Karaj as the union of the bride human soul with the husband God?! Participating in the laavaa(n) is an exercise of faith. You are thinking about your commitments to Guru Ji and you do parkarma (walk around Guru ji) therefore publicly showing that your life is centered around Guru Ji. If you refuse to learn the akhars of the Gurmukhi alphabet or have no intentions of taking Amrit, do not carry out your nit-nem, do not wish to keep your kesh, do not follow any rehat, do not make any attempt to know who the Sikh Gurus are etc. then participating in the Anand karaj and walking around Guru Jee is a mere ritualistic act driven by cultural and family pressure. I bet the majority of our own community fall in this category.

I do not agree with Sikhi being based on formalities of simply adopting Singh or Kaur as a middle name or signing a piece of paper declaring allegiances to Sikhi. This does not in anyway compensate for a real tangible Gursikhi Jevaan which is our only aim. Many people will simply sign these “contracts” to just have their Anand Karajs performed. Why can’t these Prabhandaks attempt to implement real, life changing, practical commitments such as learn and recite 100 Jap Ji Sahibs within 10 days or wash the dishes at the Guru Ghar for 30 days. These kind of commitments help bring us closer to real life Sikhi not the text book/internet forum Sikhi which we so easily adopt.

Nobody should be forced or emotionally blackmailed to implement Sikhi in to their lifestyle, however Sikhi it is not a "Sunday school" or a verbal commitment, it can only be experienced by living it.

This is the problem that many of us hide behind, we can go to the wedding of a relative or mate who is "indian" and basically agree with all their manmat through who our bounded silence of friendship and then on the other hand when there is a white person we are ready to kill everyone !!!!! you tell me how stupid that sounds, as for petrol bombing cars, well what can you say to that, that goes beyone stupidity, the car's are insured so what you are actually achieving ??? other than showing the sikh youth of today have fallen foul of the same mistakes the so called elders made, instead of showing our intellect and understanding of sikhi we have adopted the stupidity they have, fight in the gurudwarea, petrol bomb cars, follow so called leaders who are totally hypocritical, I could go on but it just make's you feel sad at the fact this generation will probably end up like the old one, fighting for choudur of gurudwarea. Sikhoo wake up and follow your Guru and not individuals with dodgy agendas.

There is a mixed race wedding at Guru Nanak Parkash Gurdwara , Harnaal Lane , Coventry this weekend, lets see if this group try and stop this wedding as they tried last week...... i'm guessing they won't do a thing as this is the Gurdwara that they all attend. Has the pardhaan been threatend with kidnap, or threats made that the cars of the commitee members be petrol bombed ...no ... why cause these lads all go to this gurdwara, so its one rule for them and another for everyone else

Why do you all ignore the fact that in future Sikh men will have to marry nonSikhs?

Are you lot **MOD EDITED:NOT APPROPRIATE***

Given teh state of many Sikh/Panjabi girls these days I'm not surprised that people chose another partner.

The wedding shud only be accepted if the non-sikh becomes a sikh, sejdari or whatever, and the couple ensure there children are sikh. That way every1s a winner, the two people get married and the sikh nations number grow.

It is good you want growth but try focusing on people improving within. Or else you'll end up peeing more people off and making them leave too.

you cant change people on the inside for them they should want to do that for themselves............i find too many people use that excuse of ''its better to be a sikh on the inside than to look like one on the outside'' they dont realise its bloody hard to be a proper sikh on the inside whereas i find its easier to look like one on the outside, i.e. keeping hair, or is it just me....

you cant change people on the inside for them they should want to do that for themselves............i find too many people use that excuse of ''its better to be a sikh on the inside than to look like one on the outside'' they dont realise its bloody hard to be a proper sikh on the inside whereas i find its easier to look like one on the outside, i.e. keeping hair, or is it just me....

What i often see is people who are so corrupt and self centred on the inside but looking pious on the exterior. This sort of defeats the purpose in my eyes.

Being strict in your rehat is good but without morality and positive internal attributes such as humanism, which is the foundation of Sikhism it is pointless and just gives people a bad perception of Sikhs in general. Better to sort yourself out internally before you publicise yourself.

Just keeping kesh because of family pressure and not having a strong internal belief is plain hypocritical. Khalsa of the past where like supermen, keeping rehat and physically fighting on all fronts. If you think today's "Khalsa" are anything like them you are probably deluding yourself.

What i often see is people who are so corrupt and self centred on the inside but looking pious on the exterior. This sort of defeats the purpose in my eyes.

Being strict in your rehat is good but without morality and positive internal attributes such as humanism, which is the foundation of Sikhism it is pointless and just gives people a bad perception of Sikhs in general. Better to sort yourself out internally before you publicise yourself.

Just keeping kesh because of family pressure and not having a strong internal belief is plain hypocritical. Khalsa of the past where like supermen, keeping rehat and physically fighting on all fronts. If you think today's "Khalsa" are anything like them you are probably deluding yourself.

Thats very true what you said BUT all im saying is trying to better yourself from within isnt an easy task as some people point it out to be todays Khalsa is very strong its just they dont get support from the wider sikh community they are just seen as too hardcore as opposed to being a group of people that should be looked upto (excluding the corrupt individuals).