New Baby - Help!

Guest Harjinder Kaur.

Guest Harjinder Kaur.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

I was wondering if anyone can help me, I'm married and am expecting our first babies in October, we're having twins, a boy and a girl. I've been raised as a Sikh but unfortunately am not in touch with any of the older members of my family anymore.

My problem is that with the babies coming I want to follow all the correct procedures for welcoming them into this world. I want them to start life in the path to Sikhi as soon as they're born. Only issue being I don't quite know what the procedures are and there's really no one that I can ask. :D

I know we don't go out of the house for 40 days or something and I know I have to take them to the Gurdwara after they're born, but is there anything else I should be doing?

Any helpful tips, ideas or suggestions will be greatly welcomed.

Thankyou.

Harjinder Kaur.

congratulations

CHAPTER XI

Ceremonies pertaining to Birth and Naming of Child

Article XVII

a. In a Sikh's household, as soon after the birth of a child as the mother becomes capable of moving about and taking bath (irrespective of the number of days which that takes), the family and relatives should go to a Gurdwara with Karhah Prashad (sacred pudding) or get Karhah Prashad made in the Gurdwara and recite in the holy presence of the Guru Granth Sahib such hymns as "Parmeshar dita bana" {Sorath M. 5} (The Almighty Lord has granted support. [sorath M. 5, Guru Granth Sahib P. 628]), "Satguru sache dia bhej" {Asa M. 5} (The true Lord has sent this gift. [Asa M. 5, Guru Granth Sahib P. 396]) that are expressive of joy and thankfulness. Thereafter if a reading of the holy Guru Granth Sahib had been taken up, that should be concluded. Then the holy Hukam (command) should be taken. A name starting with the first letter of the Shabad of the Hukam (command) should he proposed by the Granthi (man in attendance of Guru Granth Sahib) and, after its acceptance by the congregation, the name should be announced by him. The boy's name must have the suffix "Singh" and the girl's, the suffix "Kaur".

After that the Anand Sahib (short version comprising six stanzas) should be recited and the Ardas in appropriate terms expressing joy over the naming ceremony be offered and the Karhah Prashad distributed.

b. The superstition as to the pollution of food and water in consequence of birth (There is a wide-spread belief among certain sections of Indian people that a birth in a household causes pollution (sutak) which is removed by the thorough bathing of the mother, the baby and persons attending on her as also by a thorough cleaning of the house, the utensils and the clothes, after prescribed periods of ten, twenty one and forty days.) must not be subscribed to, for the holy writ is : "The birth and death are by His ordinance; coming and going is by His will. All food and water are, in principle, clean, for these life-sustaining substances are provided by Him."

c. Making shirts or frocks for children out of the Holy Book's draperies is a sacrilege.

http://www.sgpc.net/rehat_maryada/section_...hap_eleven.html

Guest _singh01_

When Vaheguru blesses a couple with a child, at this auspicious moment the first rite is to utter "Vaheguru" Gurmantar ( blessed word of the Guru ) to the child. The midwife should be a Sikh, so that she can enact this rite.

Next, the Amrit is to be prepared in the following way:

- An Amritdharee (baptised Sikh) Singh should get a bowl made of Sarab Loh (pure iron) and half fill it with water.

- Five patase (sugar cakes) should be added to the water

- This mixture is to be continuously stirred with a Sarbloh Kirpan (small iron Dagger)

- During the stirring, the Singh is to recite Japji Sahib from memory and is to sit in the ‘Bir-Asan’ position, a Warrior stance – the left leg is to be folded inwardly to rest on and the right is to be upright, similar to a sprinters stance before a race.

- Once the Japji Sahib recital is complete the Amrit is ready.

Five drops from the tip of the Kirpan are to be given to the child and the mother is to drink the rest of the Amrit. This is the first ceremony of initiation of a child into the Khalsa Panth (Nation).

The mother is then to breast-feed the child, from this the child should become

virtuous, a warrior, saintly, charitable and a vibrant Gursikh. Enacting any other sort of birth rites/ceremony is not allowed in Gurmat; for example lucky charms or strings tied on the child’s wrist or around his/her neck. To break all superstitions Kara (bracelet made of Sarab Loh) is to be placed on the child’s right-hand wrist. Drinking alcohol and eating meat whilst celebrating the birth of a child is a great sin.

After the above ceremony, Karah Parshad is to be prepared and an Ardas recited in the presence of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji. The child’s name is based on the first letter of the Hukamnama taken from Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji.

If possible on the same day a Sehaj Paath( Recital of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji ) should be started. The child and his/her mother should listen to the whole Paath. At the Bhog (completions of recital) Guru ka langar is to be served to the Sadh Sangat.

(taken from http://www.damdamitaksal.com/lit_rehat_01.htm)

I'd suggest going to your local Gurdwara either on the way home from the hospital or at some point soon after. If you then speak to the Granthi there they will be able to give you a letter from the alphabet to help you select a name for each of your children.

Good luck with the delivery! Hopefully it's quick!

Dont worry about visiting the Gurdwara though, everyone is more than helpfull and they will be able to help you out.

Also, i dont want to pry into your family affairs, but i truly believe that regardless of the issues that you and your husband have had with your families, they would be over the moon to know that your now expecting.

Furthermore i am sure that they will be happy to know that you want to bring them up in a Sikh environment - maybe you should get back in touch with them? You never know you maybe pleasantly suprised.

The father of the child should prepare water and pattaseh in a batta, stir them with a kard/kirpan while reciting Japji Sahib and Anand Sahib. Depending on the family, some recite Chandi Di Vaar and other yudh banis from Sri Dasam Darbar. Once ardas is done, the child is given a few drops from the batta by placing the the tip of the kard in its mouth, the rest of the batta is finished by the mother of the child.

This is the first initiation into a Sikh family, and the water prepared should ideally be the first thing the child tastes, and Gurbani should be one of the first things the child hears on entering this world.

The 'Kirpan Da Amrit' distributed to newborn baby is not considered a baptism. It is distributed so that the parents can eat with their babies in a same utensil. It is considered a religious ritual.

The distribution of 'Kirpan Da Amrit' to newborn is a very old tradition in some Gursikh Families. An Amritdhari person recites Sri Jap Ji Sahib and prepares the nectar in an iron bowl with a sword. (Some people recite only first five stanzas of Sri Jap Ji Sahib). Then he put some drops of it into the mouth of newborn using the sword as a spoon. My Nana Ji (the father of mother) himself prepared 'Kirpan Da Amrit', when I was born. I was distributed 'Kirpan Da Amrit' by my Nana Ji himself. It is an old tradition in our families and still kept alive. I do not find anything wrong in this tradition. Distributing this Amrit to newborn is not the baptism. When the child grows, it has to take 'Khande Da Amrit'. I was distributed 'Kirpan Da Amrit' when I was born, but later I was baptized through 'Khande Da Amrit'.

^^ taken from >>> http://www.amritworld.com/kirpan_da_amrit.html

Kirpan amrit being prepared for a new born >>> http://flickr.com/photos/amritworld/320608525/ . Batta used in the pic is steel i guess but Sarbloh batta should be prefered.

i dont think its called amrit tho, i think its called "chula" which the childrents will recieve. also the 40 days thing is a folk tale form panjab rarely practised over here. " kise di buri najar nah lag jave" or something like that.

But i really commend yuo for actually taking this step ( with me not knowing about it). nither of my 2 childrens had it, and they are out of control!! swap?