Suicide and Honour

AK-47

I was discussing this topic with some friends today and the general view seems to be that suicide is wrong. which is something i also believe.

but im just struggling to understand what must be going through the mind of a person who has experienced such an ordeal.

What is their biggest fear? Is it the fear of walking around in the future, scared that it might happen again, or fear that people might find out? Why is it that so many women find it difficult to tell either the authorities or their families? As sikhs are we confident that if a sikh lady or even make went through such an experience, we would be able to deal with it correctly?

Would we see the woman as 'dirty' or a victim? Does thinking of them as a victim help them, or does it help us to cope with the situation?

Would we as sikhs be able to see our mothers, sisters daughters or wife in the same light ever again?!

I think its a bit easy to say that people should have faith in Vaheguru, dnt forget that after such an incident the person may well blame god, or at the least may question why such a thing had to happen to them.

I love the stance that Sant Jarnail Singh Ji took, that it is the perpatrators of the crime that need to be hunted down, that these women are OUR sisters, not just the sisters of the household that they belong to.

Another example to remember is of the singhs during the time of the afghan invaders, i cant remember the yr, but the story of how the singhs rescued thousands of hindu girls and returned them to their parents homes, and told the men there that these girls were their (the singh's) sisters and that if they found out that they had been treated badly then they the singhs w

ould come back to sort out the parents. obviously this was done becuase of family 'honour' the girls were most likely sexually assulted, and the common practice would have been to disown the girl. the singhs stopped it.

But today how many of us would welcome our sisters home without any difference in our hearts? would we worry more for her, or more of what people were going to say if they found out?

Also sorry to sound negative, but was at a talk on sikh women once at uni. The speaker told us some very hurting and painful stories from the 1984 delhi massacres.

she spoke of a number of stories where sikh women were hunted down and raped by gangs of 10 -20 men, this after they had been forced to watch their husbands burn and their children murdered. One lady was chased and attacked by around 10 men, she said she couldnt remember how long the incident took place, all she could remember was their voices shouting and swearing, telling her that they were going to breed a new hindu race.

Anumber of years later, some people aranged for a gynocologist to visit some of the victims of the massacres, and this woman volunterred to be examined. When the doctor was examining her she was told about what had happened to this old woman lying on her table. The doctor couldnt take it and started crying and stopped the tests, the old woman took hold of her hand and told her to continue with her tests, she said what had happened to her was the will of god, and that the world needed to know what had happened to us, therefore she must carry on with her work.

This was just one of the many stories. Some of the women did kill themselves, rather than be raped by gangs.

There wasnt a dry eye or a heart that didnt want these mobsters in front of them to take revenge upon.

But then one individual got up and asked if these women were amritdhari's, the speaker replied that yes some of them were.

then this person went on to say that "well if it had been me, iv learned martial arts and i would have used m

y kirpan and wouldnt have let them touch me, they were wrong for trying to run away and should have stopped and fought".

i swear this singh in the room nearly killed this individual!!!

its very nice for us to say that we should do this or that, but after seeing so much, very few of us would have our basic wits with us. imagine your entire life ending before your life, your husband burned with kerosene with a tyre put around his body by your neighbours, your children's hair cut then beaten to death with iron poles, your house set on fire. Brothers, how many of us would remember how to do a roundhouse kick in that instance. in that state there prob were a few singhnian that were able to draw their weapons, but most probably had barely time to run away. Just trying to think of their pain as they tried to run away is too much for my mind, imagine as they fell, who wouldnt wish for death as hands crept towards you.

Brothers and more importantly sisters, our mothers and elder sisters were attacked time and again all over India. How many children walking around in Punjab have been lied to about their father? their mother being attacked by some filthy policeofficer. How many of our mothers are still sitting in delhi, those wounds permanently stuck in their minds, how many are inflicted with aids and other diseases. how many would have been left to rot in the streets?

We have failed miserably as a communittee to protect them or to help them. We dont even know how many of who they are!

When will our people learn to care for each other rather than see each other with eyes just searching for the dirt.

Dont forget it may well be that one of your family has been through this, it might just be that you dont know about it.