Sikh Parents Cutting Children's Hair

pyaraji

A friend who keeps his hair told me he'd cut his children's hair when/if he had children. He told me that he would rather have the sin on his head for cutting their hair when they were young instead of them growing up with hair and then cutting it because that would hurt him alot more.

His dad cuts his own hair, and my friend decided to keep his hair on his own. He felt that this way he felt more love for his hair and would not cut it since he knew why he decided to keep it in the first place. He wants his children to grow up like other "normal" children in society and let them make their own conscious decision when they are old enough.

So I guess my question is, is his thinking logical? If not, do you have the confidence to teach your kids enough to keep their hair throughout their life? Or is it alright that you make it them keep it for a good part of their childhood knowing that they could cut their hair later?

I think that because of experiences he has had in his life he thinks that his kids will suffer due to keeping kesh what he fails to realise is that, thats not what happens plus kids are way strong than adults sometimes they can handle stuff that would make adults cry.....kids are strong ESPECIALLY SIKH KIDS :nihungsmile:

To me this seems either as a cop-out or a very defeatist attitude.

Cop-out : I also know a few who keep their hair (on the head but not on the face) but cut their childrens hair. When asked the response is the normal “I don’t want my kids to be bullied”, “I want them to be normal” etc. Firstly it is our Dharmic duty to bring up our children the best we can, and what better start in life then on the path of the Guru. Secondly, are we not normal? Or are we abnormal? Sure kids get picked upon but so did we and we are testament to the strength and fortitude that our principles have given us, so why not for our children? Thirdly, what if those Mattama in Mir Mannus jail had said the same thing? “Oh lets all change, we don’t want our children to be hurt” what then? But they did not, their children were torn to pieces in front of their eyes and hung around their shoulders, would we still be remembering the Bibies if they had been spineless and crumbled? No. we remember them because there stood resolute. These half baked , so called Singhs are just that, they have no principles and try to weave an easy life.

Defeatist: He seems to have caved in at the very start, with a stupid argument. Its like when Homer is going to go to New York City and says "You city folk ain’t gonna get my money and credit cards" and promptly throws his wallet into the fire and laughs. We laugh at him because we think what a fool, the chances are he will never have been attacked in the city. In the same way this guy has chopped off their hair in the chance that they will cut them in later life. What if they grew up to be good Singhs and never have given a thought about cutting their hair? Now they will never have that chance.

It is our duty to bring up our children as Sikhs, to promote out values and traditions so that Sikhi expands and grows because we believe that the sikh principles are our greatest asset which we live by so why shouldn't we pass it on to our kids.

You never hear these people say "Well. I am not going to teach my kids how to read, if they want to they can do it when they grow up, and anyways they may start reading comics which are a total waste of time"

Id a father custs hiw own hair, then I feel it is unfair on his kids for him to expect tehm to keep theirs. So he should treat them as he treats himself with respect to hair. Then if they are more blessed than him, for want of a better phrase, then they will keep their own hair of their own free will.

If he keeps hair, then unfair to cut theirs cos he is saying they have less right to keep hair than him. I don't know your acquaintance obviously but is it a case of he wants to keep their hair deep down put is getting pressure from other quarters to cut it? Soudns very odd that a hirsuite Sikh would want to cut his kids' hair.

A friend who keeps his hair told me he'd cut his children's hair when/if he had children. He told me that he would rather have the sin on his head for cutting their hair when they were young instead of them growing up with hair and then cutting it because that would hurt him alot more.

His dad cuts his own hair, and my friend decided to keep his hair on his own. He felt that this way he felt more love for his hair and would not cut it since he knew why he decided to keep it in the first place. He wants his children to grow up like other "normal" children in society and let them make their own conscious decision when they are old enough.

So I guess my question is, is his thinking logical? If not, do you have the confidence to teach your kids enough to keep their hair throughout their life? Or is it alright that you make it them keep it for a good part of their childhood knowing that they could cut their hair later?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4Qq4MvITrk

alot of people tell me that they want to be normal, and thats why they dont keep kesh.

i think people dont understand whats going on here. keeping kesh is the real 'normal' Akaal purakh who has created everything is the most perfect designer, if he didnt want us to keep our hair why would he want us to cut it everyday? did he make a mistake by giving us hair? or was he giving ppl something to do every morning? i think if humans werent meant to keep hair god wudnt have given us hair.

all creatures have hair/whiskers etc, they play an important part in the human body. also quite an essential requirement in spiritual development which works perfectly for followers of the sikh way of life. once you cut your kesh and regrow them, it takes about 3 years for the ends or the hairs to recover/reheal and for your body to receive energy and protiens again. Apart from the benifits of keep kesh, for which you can simply google it and see for yourself, you can never please the lord for cutting hair, no matter 'how good the mona is, or how much gurbani the mona knows' (some of the things i hear). what is worse is that alot of people cut their hair to fit INTO the main stream, or for manmat things (girls, looks etc) which is a greater sin.

I aint got anything against monay but all i gota say to my fellow human bros n sis is be yourself, be human. God wasnt losing it when he made us with hair, we are in HIS roop afterall. Guru Gobind Singh Ji just laid it down for us lost souls.

Bhul chuk di kima

You can do a little test your self, take two pictures of a same aged man dressed in western cloths with similar body language and facial expression, one having short hair and clean shaven and other having long hair and full beard, they do not need to have a turban, then ask anybody at random to point out who looks more religious. Regardless of the persons background they will invariably will pick the person with long hair and beard.

Think for yourself why in 2007 somebody will think that long hair and beard represent something religious and divine. Subconsciously we all know the long hair is good. Jesus had full hair, as did Moses and Mohammad Saab. Even Krishan Bhagwan Ji and Siri Raam Chandra Ji had full hair, alas the Hindu machine has eradicated an notion of them with full hair as it does not fit in with their way of thinking these days.

I give you another example from the world around you, go to any local library and go to the children’s section, pick any children’s book and look for stories of a princess, all most all the photos of a princess will be with long hair, now ask your self why that is? Subconsciously human beings know the value of long hair, it is just the incredible high level of wisdom of Guru Sahib Ji that he made these simple but fantastic things an integral part of the Khalsa.

It is that reason that Guru Gobind Singh Ji made his choice to simply give the divine, kind, loving, rich, elegant yet powerful image to his Khalsa.

In gurbani it is stated that God also has long hair.

Raag Wadahans, First Mehl:

Your eyes are so beautiful, and Your teeth are delightful.

Your nose is so graceful, and Your hair is so long.

Your body is so precious, cast in gold.

His body is cast in gold, and He wears Krishna's mala; meditate on Him, O sisters.

You shall not have to stand at Death's door, O sisters, if you listen to these teachings.

From a crane, you shall be transformed into a swan, and the filth of your mind shall be removed.|7|p566.