Are Monai Considered Sikh

Kharku

I was just wondering what it takes to be called a sikh? do u become a sikh if u accept Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaaj as your guru. Or does it take more than that to be called a Sikh.

What i believed was that a sikh is a learner and then becomes ones who has learnt "gursikh", whether hes a mona or not, or some one who aint even born in a sikh family but accepts Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji as their guru.

i was talking to some friends and some belived it takes alot more to become a sikh.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for me a sikh is someone who follow guru granth shaib ji and does what guru ji says, meaning following the code of conduct i.e rehat.

if you say a mona follows guru ji then he wouldnt be a mona would he? if he truly followed maharaj hed be keshdari and working towards being a amrithari. It does take quite a bit to actually ca;l yourself a sikh, but everyone thinks ' oh ive been born into a sikh family so now that makes me a sikh' ....no

if you have been born into a sikh family, consider yourself lucky as guru ji has given you another chance to try and be one with guru ji, remember this can take a whole lifetime and for most of us, more than a lifetime. BUT it is our lifes goal. We have to walk on that pathtowards guru ji and that path starts when you take amrith and keep good strong rehat.

so basically, i think moneh that dont have a clue about sikhi and go around do all them manmat bad things, have no right to call themselves guru ji's sikh. Whereas, when it comes to moneh who are practising to be a sikh, they would know that a sikh has to keep his kesh and not eat meat ...etc so in theory they wouldnt be a monah no more and would be keeping their kesh and not eating meat etc..

i dont see sikhi as a religion (i.e. rules and regulations, and all that crap) but more an idea.if someones heart is pure, does good deeds, works hard etc then that person to me is a sikh weather black white etc.

sikhi is a way of life... the word sikh means 'student' or 'disciple' ... to be a Guru's Sikh is to follow the path of our Gurus...

bein called a sikh is more then jus wearin a dastaar and a kirpaan, or even more then being Amritdharee...

refer to the link i provided above..

Being and becoming a Sikh is more than becoming amritdhaaree, the first step is to beleive in the teachings of the 10 gurus, which includes taking amrit, then can you begin your journey on this path... If you pick and choose which gurus teachings you follow will make you a Sikh you're at fault, according to Sree Akaal Takht Saheb a sikh is one who beleives in the teachings of all 10 gurus and applies those teachings to themselves. You should read the first post to better understand what a Sikh means, if you still have doubts, ask the punj pyaare.

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?showtopic=31873&hl=

Those who follow the teachings of Christ are known as Christians, those who do Hajj, namaz 5 times a day, do sunit are considered followers of Islam. So does it not in accordance to this mean that those who want to be known as Sikh, do as Sikhi prescribes, following the path of Gursikhi set down by our Gurus?

I agree who are we to judge but does not Sahib Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj tell us

Rehat Bina Na Sikhi Kahavai

That alone answers all and every question as to who is a Sikh

One has to be transformed from a sikh (a seeker or learner) to the form of a singh-khalsa. This then, is the aim of the Sikh Dharam. A Sikh(disiple) is one who seeks to receive knowledge. A Singh is one who has gained knowledge and has the power to execute it.

A Khalsa is one who is all-knowing or is a Brahmgiani - one who is perfect. In short, the endeavour of the Sikh Dharam is to transform a seeker into an all powerful, all-knowing human being.