Sikh Bibian And Jewelery

RKang17

I'm saying is there a need ie point of this....with those items you have mentionned they ALL have a wothwhile use. Jewellery has no use.

how is having an ipod or 60" t.v. a life necessity? its NOT.... having a car is NOT a life necessity, u can take the bus or bike or walk... having name brand clothes is not a life necessity... in fact, why wear western clothes at all? why not just wear cholas/kurtas/suits or what not all the time (other then the fact that some professions require business attire)... having AND1 ball shoes are NOT a necessity... jus as well sum1 can wear slippers or whatever...

there is a difference between "worth while" and NEED/NECESSITY... tha's what ur not understanding...

also... its not NEEDED for you (or anybody) to sit on the internet wasting our time all day... msn isn't needed... ss isn't needed... any other form of computer/internet use tha's not required for educational/work/spiritual purposes is NOT needed...

I have provided the 10th guu story and the kesh arguement. You will not find rules in Gurbani cos Gurbani gives you life skills. Gurbani cannot sit down and go through every possible human situation eg. You will not find a line in Gurbani about how clubbing is wong cos clubbing was not around. Instead however you will find reasonings and logics. Based on the logic I understood from Gurbani about avoiding pointless acts I would argue that Jewellery wearing is some ritualistic thing which is not needed.

i don't see the sakhi u provided... buh i'm sure, if i knew wha sakhi it was, that u weren't getting the real message of that story.. btw, ur kesh 'argument', really isn't an argument at all...

In all honesty I've seen that in pictures of what I assume is the artists impression. I have never known the Guru's to say if they wore Jewellery. I have not seen their Jewellery and from the 10th Guru Sakhi it strikes me as a thing they wudn't have done in real life especially as it was war times.

its a FACT that Guru Sahib wore a KALGI...

none of your points/arguments have any base to them... u seem as if ur tryin to make your OPINION as a RULE.... its not...

please re-read my first couple of posts... u've completely gone off track...

the reason why i wasnt saying much on the topic of hair earlier is that there is actually quite a lot to say on the topic... i did not want to commit the time to writing it all down here...you're not the only med student :lol:

But alas, I get to read the words of saints yet again and be inspired...

but here i will type out a passage from Prof Puran Singh ji's book...Spirit Born People...

if you do not know of prof puran singh ji, he was a great saint and student of bhai sahib bhai vir singh ji who is himself known as the sixth river of punjab...

the passage entitled Our Long Tresses, taken from the chapter The Garden of Simran:

Don't you know these tresses of ours are the wandering waves of the sea of illusion? Guru Gobind Singh gathered the waves of the Ocean of Consciousness as the mother gathers the hair of the child. What is man but an ocean of consciousness. The master washed them, combed them and bound them in a knot as the vow of the future manhood which shall know no caste, not distinction between man and man, and which shall work for the peace and amity of spiritual brotherhood. He who wears His knot of hair is a brother to all men, freed of all ill-feeling of selfishness. He is to be on the bayonet's point to be of no separatist creed, no religion, nor of any national combine of men bent upon loot and plunder and the tyranny of subjugating other men.

Those who do not yet understand the law of love cannot and should not wear the Master's knot of the sacred tresses and shoe who do should wear it as a token of spiritual isolation from the herd. So did Guru Gobind Singh comman. And obedience to him is life. There is no life outside the Great Love.

The aim of the Brothers of the tress-knot off Guru Gobind Singh is different, different the direction, different their persuasion.

We do not concern ourselves with the conditions of life. We glow like flowers on the thorny bed or on the bed of velvet moss with equal joy, for facing Him and living in Him and breathing Him is our life. And all who desire to be Brothers of the tress-knot of Guru Gobind Singh come and be. This is the life of love, not of any other truth. All other truths are of no concern to us! We are now the Sangha of the tress-knot of Guru Gobind Singh, our purposes are as inscrutable as those of the God of Destiny.

wow... rimmel... please stop now... ur embarassing urself...

Just as an outsider looking in on this discussion, these two, jss and especially rimmel, have taken this topic topic to another level and I'm enjoying reading it. I would hardly call it as rimmel "embarrassing" herself. :lol:

i think ur wrong here... jss veerji is replying to points that she made and that others have made... none of her comments are GURBANI or Gurmat based... and her comments about kesh are not strong at all..

Another beautiful passage by Prof Puran Singh Ji, entitled Under a Hank of Hair, in the chapter of Discipleship:

The Guru has buried the disciples under heaps of grass. He has concealed His handicraft in a hank of hair. Very irrational, they say. Possibly very superstitious. but superstitions preserve the life sparks more effectively than the reason of man. In the fleecy clouds is lightening. In our superstition of hanks of hair there is truth of His burning bosom divine. Christ in his Bride-braids is certainly more beautiful even as a man, as a woman-born, than a cleanshaven modern American face which is more in the image of the Dollar than of the sweet Jesus who is the comfort of so many distressed souls. The pendulum would swing. Fashions would give way to Love again. God would replace the Dollar, or elsewhere shall be the Man's Art, which is more of that lyrical leisure divine, of soul, of love. This haste, this machine-like man is far removed from His self, the Great Guru love. Our truth, unlike that of the old Brahman, is not of any mathematical balance of an endless denying of things. Our Truth is not a problem solved. Our Truth is but a lotus and the bee buzing about, the cloud and the rain-bird crying for that pearl-like drop of life, the swan and the lake, the child and the mother, the cow and the calf. Our hymns centre round these metaphors and all human suffering is vindicated in a moment of this transitory Union, even if it be after ages. Meeting Him dispels all sorrow, but it is all sorrow without Him. His absence is as holy as His presence.

And countless such living statues of Holy Simran, of Live's inspiration filling the whole Temple of this earth and its domes and galleries and diffusing the atmosphere of the individual peace into the crowned universe of such statues, is the Ideal of the Divine Society of men made angels by the Grace of His Love.

Assuredly in this kingdom of dream and vision, there is no place for duality, hatred and harm, so deeply ingrained in the animal man.

O Sikh young men! rise and fill yourselves with this Glory. It makes you noble, bold and free, self-drunk, selfless, flower-like, sun-like. It sweets you and your sweetness sweetens all life around you. At your sight, the lamb and the tiger must drink at the same pool. Perpetual spring must roll in you. You shall be the moral influence radiating peace, good-will, friendship, fellowship, life, vigour, vitality, in short, spirituality. You shall live in perpetual blossom, reconciled to be the sorrow of life in a thousand new ways every day. Be ye a revelation to the world of man, of the gods that live in your hearts. Seekers after God retire to the woods. Show them they need not go to the woods, for the Guru made you the woods. Seeing you, you yourself, the very peace of the woods, the freshness of the little rivulets chiming through them should come to all. Your tresses shall provide the shade of the woods and their mystery.

and yet another passage....

taken from that passage entitled The Sword of Guru Gobind Singh:

When He touched my hair and blessed me, how could I bear my hair being shorn? The Sikh is the dedicated. I nestle the fragrance of His though in my tresses. I am the bride. They, of the modern era, have bobbed the bride but the Sacred Braids of Christ still remain the most beautiful adornment of man's or woman's head. I love the Guru's superstition. The lightning spark is concealed in the wool of the wandering cloud in the sky and the life spark of the Guru is hidden in this sheaf of hair. They say it is troublesome to carry it. but more troublesome is a life of no inspiration. The body itself is not less troublesome. The daily toilet, poweder and puff and rogue, and pearlcaps, and arranging of ear drops and shingles is in no less troublesome. And when one is reconciled to such a thing as the human body, to such a thing as this impossible life, it is emptiness of soul, it is the bankruptcy of love for God and Guru to think of the riddance of Hair, the spiritual crown of humanity. The modern woman, as i have said elsewhere, has lost most of her soul by shingling her hair and putting an odourous reed on her rode-bud-like lips.