'put Christ Back Into Christmas' - The Guardian

JagtarSinghKhalsa

'Put Christ back into Christmas'

Guardian Unlimited

Press Association

Monday December 10, 2007 12:43 AM

The head of Britain's equality watchdog has urged the country to ignore "politically correct" critics and put Christ at the centre of Christmas festivities.

Trevor Phillips, chairman of the Equality and Human Rights Commission, has joined non-Christian community leaders to head off what his organisation says is the growing sense that to celebrate the birth of Jesus is taboo.

In recent years a number of school nativity plays have been banned or altered to change their Christian meaning so as not to offend some minorities.

Mr Phillips, who is to give a speech at a conference on diversity in London, will say: "A lot of these stories about Christmas are the usual silly season stuff.

"But I can't help feeling there's sometimes an underlying agenda to use this great holiday to fuel community tension.

"That's why I asked leaders in different religious communities to join me in saying: It's time to stop being daft about Christmas. It's fine to celebrate and it's fine for Christ to be the star of the show."

Speaking about Muslim, Hindu and Jewish festivals, he will go on to say: "The logic is baffling: to welcome Eid and Diwali and Hanukkah in celebration of our glorious diversity, whilst brushing Christmas under the carpet as an embarrassing episode in our mono-cultural past."

Anil Bhanot, the Hindu Council UK's general secretary who has joined forces with Mr Phillips, said: "Hindus celebrate Christmas too. It's a great holiday for everyone living in Britain. We would like Christians to continue to carry Jesus' message of love. Barring the faiths of others does not fit in with the Hindu religion."

While Dr Indarjit Singh, director of the Network of Sikh Organisations UK said: "Every year I am asked, 'do I object to the celebration of Christmas?' It's an absurd question.

"As ever, my family and I will send out our Christmas cards to our Christian friends and others. In the spirit of Christmas, we in the Singh family will, as usual, force ourselves to have extra turkey, Christmas pudding and mince pies, the lot - all in the cause of inter-faith harmony. No one can say Sikhs don't go the extra mile."

The statement in the national media by someone claiming to represent Sikhs is less than wise. By referring to extra TURKEY and CHRISTMAS PUDDING Dr Indarjit Singh and the Network is suggesting Sikhs eat meat (turkey) and consume food (Christmas pudding) that usually includes alcohol and eggs.

Statement has been widely reported:

Daily Express:

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/27852/...into-Christmas-

It was no joke, someone told me today that he attended a recent event at the Met Police Sikh Association and he was tucking into his turkey!

Daily Star as well

http://www.magentanews.com/cache.asp?n=3016708

I know how we should react to this issue: let's all make fun of Inderjit Singh and call him names. Not.

If you don't like what Inderjit Singh says then perhaps you should try to talk to him about the issues where you disagree with him. I have telephoned him on a number of occasions and found him easy to reach. Perhaps you might like to offer your own views to the BBC, the Govt. etc and offer an alternative viewpoint that 'represents' Sikhs. TBH do anything rather than throw mud at people from a distance.

SaRpAnCh, from your posts you have such zeal that if only you would harness that same zeal into making a difference for the better rather than simply pointing out negative issues you would find so much of your hatred drain away. People are not bad, Inderjit Singh is not a clown. He is a human being, with thoughts, feelings, ideas and a soul. Nobody is without a soul. Just because he says something that you disagree with, there is no need to make a rash comment about him. Eloquently and concisely comment on what you think he has said that you and other Sikhs disagree with. You will earn a greater respect from people and be taken seriously for it :) What is more, you will find that inside you feel calmer and will gradually become more in touch with the celestial magnificence that pervades existence. That is the essence of Guru Nanak's message: becoming One with all that is. That is what you want is it not? Message me if you would like to make a difference today and everyday with that unhindered passion of yours! :@

Jagtar Singh Khalsa, you were informed somewhat correctly about Inderjit Singh's attendance at a Met Police Sikh Association awareness evening. Whether he was 'tucking into' a turkey I don't know, but I do know he was one of only around 10 turban/bearded Sikh men in attendance for what was an event calling for action into violence against females. Those present were from ethnic minority-related organisations that have actively expressed concern on this issue or whom have taken some part in fighting the issues of domestic violence, sex-selective abortions, 'honour killings' and gender inequality. Inderjit Singh should be commended for the work that he has done in this way and for the support that he has given the MPSA over the last few months in planning strategies to tackle these issues. You may not like him (and many don't) but at least have the class to not pick at him for doing good things. Again, I welcome the input you make to forums such as this and the countless emails I have read of yours which find their way on to e-groups, but why so negative towards others all the time? If Inderjit were to disappear tomorrow, would you take his place and advise the Govt on Sikh issues? When did we elect you? My friend, stop the bitterness and help make the World a better place for everybody. That is our Ardas after all: Nanak Naam Chardhi Kalla, Tere Bhane Sarbat Da Bhalla...

As it happens I am no great fan of some of the statements that Inderjit Singh makes, but there are just as many where I wholeheartedly agree with him. The way forward is not to slate him but discuss with him (and others) without resorting to petty name-calling. As it happens, I have recently found myself broadcasting on BBC Radio 4 with comments from a Sikh perspective. A lot better than sitting on an internet forum doing Inderjit Singh's nindiya don't you think?! Before I get a barrage of abusive emails and telephone calls at Naujawani, ask yourselves this wonderful question:

"What have I done in my life to make it better?"

Sitting on an internet Forum calling a Sikh of Guru Nanak a clown is not a good answer, nor is making people aware of the fact that a Sikh said he eats turkey. Thank you for taking the time to read this.