Manchester Smagam

Tera Mama

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually thought the kirtan_test video you uploaded to google was good quality

anyway just watched the Bhai Gurpreet Singh Ji video on sikhitube

thanks for uploading

af far as the film tunes. I doubt that Bhai Amolak Singh Ji and other kirtanis watch bollywood movies. The tunes might be the same or simliar but I don't think that's where they picked them up from.

I uploaded that test clip on google video by converting it to mp4 first. On Google video, the result was pathetic as u can see.

Recs will be up on sikhbytes and sikhitube soon.

Gurfateh All,

Did anyone go to Manchester Smagam? I was listening to the Kirtan and was wondering what on earth was Bhai Amolak Singh doing??! I don't mean to sound offensive or rude, but the way he was doing simran I felt was wrong...

It might just be me, but I did overhear another couple of people mention this same thing.

Not to mention the vast amount of films song tunes I heard on the vajaa was shocking! Not that I listen to songs, but it's pretty obvious...

I'm sorry if I have offended anyone, but I just felt that we look up to Gursikhs like these for guidance and inspiration yet when they do something like that it throws everything out of sync...

Khima da Jachik

What was wrong with the way he was doing simran? I personally enjoyed it! and so did many other people! He was doing it with meaning! The trend nowadays is the more loud and fast the simran - the better, even if it means not saying the word 'Vaheguru' properly, and the tabla banging to the max. So make me understand how that is good?

The style he was doing simran was somewhat similar to the way Bhai Jasbir Singh Khanne wale used to do it - and your telling me he wasn't chardhikala?

On the point of film tunes, old hindi songs used to be all written in raags, so if your are doing a shabad in that same raag it is somewhat likely that it will sound a bit similar. But copying 'giddy' tunes from recent times which are not in raag, and makes the recipient think of the song is not right. The shabad must be what we concentrate on.

To recognise these you must have listened to them at some point in your life mate!

Not mentioning any names but there are kirtani who use far more 'giddy' styletunes than Bhai Amolak Singh.