Apology for “Operation Bluestar”

nonihal singh

Sonia to back move in Parliament: Mann

Apology for “Operation Bluestar”

Sarbjit Dhaliwal

Tribune News Service

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2003/20030306/...6/punjab1.htm#7

Chandigarh, March 5

Mr Simranjit Singh Mann, MP, President of the Shiromani Akali Dal (Amritsar), has said that Congress President Sonia Gandhi is prepared to support a resolution expressing apology or regret for “Operation Bluestar” in Parliament.

In an exclusive interview with TNS, Mr Mann said he had met Mrs Sonia Gandhi in this connection. “She has assured me that her party will support such a resolution if moved by the Treasury Benches in Parliament”, Mr Mann asserted.

The only problem now was that the BJP was not prepared to move such a resolution. “I have also talked to BJP people in this connection but there was no desired response from that party”, he added.

It was for former Chief Minister and SAD President Parkash Badal to make the BJP and other NDA partners move such a resolution. “I would meet Mr Badal on this issue soon to ask him to take up this issue with Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee for moving a resolution at the official level”, said Mr Mann.

“I am sure that Mr Badal, who has good rapport with Mr Vajpayee, had the capacity to coax the top BJP leadership for moving such a resolution”, Mr Mann added. The draft resolution could be prepared with mutual approval of all main parties. A national apology for “Operation Bluestar” was a must to sooth the hurt religious sentiments of the Sikhs. “Let the BJP take the initiative in this connection and Mrs Sonia Gandhi’s par

ty would extend support to it”, he said.

Though national leaders, including Mrs Sonia Gandhi, have expressed regret over “Operation Bluestar” outside the House no resolution as such has been moved in Parliament in this connection.

Meanwhile, Mr Mann said that he was fully geared up for “collective diplomacy” by top Akali leaders for taking up various issues pertaining to Punjab at the national level. “Of course, I have serious ideological differences with Mr Badal with regard to political and religious matters but I am all for joining hands with him as far as safeguarding the interests of Punjab at the national level is concerned,” he said.

“A recent joint meeting of senior Akali leaders with Union Home Minister L.K. Advani was the first step in this direction”, he said. In fact, Mr Advani congratulated us — (I, Mr Tohra, Mr Badal) for meeting him collectively the death sentence on Davinder Pal Singh revoked, Mr Mann said. Several issues like opening Wagha border for trade with Arab countries, widows of the 1984 riots, river waters, transfer of Punjabi-speaking areas, sending jathas to Sikh religious places in Pakistan, release of Punjabi youths from various jails in Sri Lanka, Pakistan and Russia etc were needed to be taken up collectively, Mr Mann said.

do u honestly believe wot the gandhis say? nehru hated us, indra hated us, so sonya probably does as well. if she really regrests it, shudnt she giv bak the old birs?

also, i heard a story, that wen indra gandhi attacked the harimandir sahib, is it true she robbed the Gurus Gold n she used 2 parade it on the tele. so if thats true, where is the gold? shouldnt sonya gandhi giv it us bak?

I think we should all be wary of politicians and their games.

Building monuments for the Guru's and aplogies etc all of this may just be clever tactics to bring the sikhs back on side.

A lot of sikhs still distrust the congress party, and they are fed up with the akali's, so the sikh votes are up for grabs. By appearing sympathetic to the sikh troubles many will feel that sonia will do the best for them since she is understanding etc.

BUT dont forget that her entire life was rocked by the sikhs, they/we killed her mother in law, caused her husband the createst amount of stress, and near enough bought her adopted country to its collapse. These are not easy wounds for her to forget, so lets not just assume that she cares. Politicians would sell their own mother as the saying goes, so doing this as a publicity stunt may be no big deal to them!

Knowing our stupid politicians they will accept the apology and then make out that they have achieved this great victory for the sikhs by getting the govt to admit its fault! in this way the govt washed its hands and badal and co gain votes and prestige.

An apology will not suffice any longer, what of all the families who have suffered how will they benifit from a politicians sorry?! They had 20 years of hell, personally i would tell her to shove the apology up her italian backside! If she wants to apologise, tell her to take her forces and her beauracracy and all the rest of her dirty political friends in the BJP and other indian parties out of our Punjab, out of our Haryana, our chandigarh, in fact all of our pre 47 punjab territory! (as for the pak side, we'll deal with tat another day) since

im in a good mood, i think i'll claim dehli and some otrher areas too!

Sat Sri Akal:

I for one would like to see the draft for this apology. If it meets acknowledging everything that the GOI did, GREAT. What will we get out of a measly piece of paper? Simple. Acknowledgement. Someone will admit from an official position that the GOI went wrong, did LOTS of wrong. That way, it serves as a future documented evidence to hold against the GOI of wrongdoing.

But of course, don't be surprised if she pulls a Nehru after being elected..."Oh, I ain't going to sign now. The situation's changed".

• 4 weeks later...

no this document will not bring back anyone who got Shaheed...nor will this document change the history! but atleast it is a step. Singh jee, we should discourage this...it is indeed something towards the betterment of society...so why not.

but no one should miss the fact that all such steps are taken before elections and gaining voters... blush.gif