Kirtan

chatanga

"koee gaavai raagee naadhee baedhee bahu bhaath kar nehee har har bheejai raam raajae ||

Some sing of the Lord, through musical Ragas and the sound current of the Naad, through the Vedas, and in so many ways. But the Lord, Har, Har, is not pleased by these, O Lord King."

what this means is that u can have all the gyan of raah vedas and all that but rab will not be pleased if naam is missing. sikhi is all about naam jap thats what will count in mahrajis court. so i dont think theres anything wrong in namdhari kirtan as what i know they specially emphasize naamsimeran.

a lot of mainstream sikhs believe the tuk of neel baster phare as someone mentioned before in sou sakhi so it depends on what your views are i would listern to anyone doing kirtan espicially the puraten way of raag vidya how its ment to be done. bonus when the raagi is ful of naam weather naamdhari , nihang akj without naam and love for waheguru were nothing.

ਨਾਨਕ ਭੀਜੈ ਸਾਚੈ ਨਾਇ ॥੨

naanak bheejai sachai nae ||2||

O Nanak, the Lord is won over only by His Name.

http://www.searchgurbani.com/main.php?book...p;ShabadID=1670

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first Raagis in Harmandir Sahib court of Guru Arjan Dev Ji were Muslims(we all know what happened to them)

The first Dhadis in the court of Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji were Muslims

It should not be limited to who can Sing Gurbani. But the person doing Kirtan should be doing it according to the Maryada Of Guru Gobind Singh Ji and should atleast understand what they are singing.

what this means is that u can have all the gyan of raah vedas and all that but rab will not be pleased if naam is missing. sikhi is all about naam jap thats what will count in mahrajis court. so i dont think theres anything wrong in namdhari kirtan as what i know they specially emphasize naamsimeran.

I still feel there needs to be serious consideration on allowing visible groups from dehdhari following backgrounds from performing keertan or katha within our Guru Ghars. This does not infringe on their right to enjoy Gurbani but as a kaum we need to ensure that our public keertanis and kathavachaks adhere to at least the core fundamental of Sikhi of not accepting any living person as the jagdi jyot.

If we look at Raag, it can be seen as a throne on which Sikhi sits. If that Sikhi is violated or debased then that raag is just a raag and nothing more. I personally fail to see how it adds any benefit to us as a kaum if we accept something because we enjoy a specific performance at the expense of tolerating a false ideology.