Shatri Ko Pooth Hai Bahan Ko Nahi

orono

What does the following Shabad mean? I tried searching on SriDasam.org, didn't work, so I'm hoping the more educated among us here can help, thanking you

http://sikhitothemax.com/Page.asp?SourceID...96&Format=2

Gurfatehji,

What I could make out of this is :

Kshatriya has a son whereas the Brahmin does not, which is despite the numerous Tapa (penance). The kshatriya has been blessed with a son because he prayed in earnest with folded hands. Now that the time has arrived, the kshatriya (whose aim in life is to protect and save the unprotected and the week) has again been blessed with the opportunity to let go of every worldly sukh and sacrifice his entire self in such a battle.

Bhul chuk maaf karni ji!

Gurfateh !

Here is an English translation and Punjabi 'Arth' of this Sawaiya.

The sawaiya comes from 'Krishna Avtaar' Sri Dasam Granth Sahib.

dsc03503kw2.jpg

dsc03504jj7.jpg

* From Sri Dasam Granth Sahib. Dr Surindar Singh Kohli. SNHT. 2003. Vol 2 page 1261

dsc03505ru5.jpg

* From Sri Dasam Granth Sahib Ji Steek. Pandit Narain Singh Ji Giani (Vidya Maartand, Mujanga vale). Vol 4 page 367

Hope that helps in some way.

Ranjit Singh 'Freed'

GurFateh jee

The shabad's translations can be found via:

http://www.sridasam.org/dasam?Action=Page&...t&id=110380

I also needed to find this shabad a while back so searched using the term: "Kshatriya son brahmin" which gave a number of results. If only this site had the powerful search options as STTM has!!

The shabad is included in the Rehraas sahib recited at Nanaksar Gurdwarey and Hazoor Sahib but as per the deeper meanings I dont really know!

HTH

Saahiba can I ask you to reference your explanation. It's not one I have heard before and doesnt really seem to make sense. Familiarisation with vishraam and language structure gives the below direct explanation:

Maharaj is saying "I am the son of a Kshatri, not of Brahmin..."

We have to understand the Dharam of Kshatri's compared to those of Brahmin's if we want to realise what maharaj is saying . Our Guru's were Kshatri both of birth and of deed, hence Guru Gobind Singh's writings and Khalsa maryada follow the lines of Kshartri philosophy. This philosophy has existed before the Guru's but became much diluted and almost lost at the time of maharaj, it was restored by maharaj who in the process also abolished the caste criteria of being Kshatri. Khalsa Dharam and Kshatri Dharam are viewed as one by Nihang Singh's, others recognise its essentially the same thing but arent quite open about it due to modern day connotations of religous terms.

Needless to say, those who reject Dasam Pathshah's bani will disagree, as will those who reject ancient Kshatri traditions within the Dalpanth (and therefore cant accept dasam bani). There will probably be others who will be deafened by their "Hindu Hindu Hindu RSS RSS RSS" alarmbells and fail to understand any of the above.

I think its very evident Maharaj is talking about themselves in that passage, I have never heard anyone say otherwise. I did read some argueing on the Tapoban forum once that Shatri in this contect refers to shastar and nothing else, which was quite far fatched and desperate, not to mention it doesnt make sense no matter what way you look at it. Amazing how people think their wild imaginations are more authoritive in the interpretation of Gurbani that centurys of oral dicourse and written steeks.