Interesting Question

Ramneet Singh

"raaj na chaahu, mukat na chaahu, man preet charan kamlaray"

rwju n cwhau mukiq n cwhau min pRIiq crn kmlwry ]

We do bani, simran, seva, sangat etc... not to please God, or for any 'rewards', or even 'mukti' for that matter... we do all this, for the LOVE of the Lord... we ask only the Guru Sahib put us at his charan, and imbue HIS charan in our hearts.. because we want to have tru ISHQ of Akaal Purakh... as Banda put it, 'unconditional love'...

if we do bani, simran, seva, sangat and all that other good stuff to 'please' sum1 or for 'rewards', then we're not doing it with a pure intent.... then we're just doing it to get something out of it... and it only becomes a motion, not a feeling...

You think God wants us to sing their praise, so they feel good? Thats like saying, we drink water to eliminate thirst of the ocean.
Excellant point! I'd want to add half a cent. Asking why do we need to "praise" God, or "sing His glory", is like asking "Why do I drink water?". Why? Because I am thirsty! What will happen if I don't? I will die of thirst! Same way, if I don't sing the glory/praises of God, I'll die spiritually. Water doesn't care if I drink it or not. But my body does. My body needs water, but water doesn't need my body. God doesn't need me (as in He doesn't depend on me for anything), I need God (I depend on Him for everything from A to Z)!

My apologizes to Quest4Akal and Ramneet Singh. I was simply asking a question not being defensive. It's hard to portray emotions on a forum. :s

I find it kind of insulting to try and explain to an atheist why we try to follow Sikhi. Honestly, I wouldn't be able to explain anything without sounding (at least) a bit offense.

To try to convince an atheist about this stuff is like trying to convince someone in 1200's that earth is round. If that makes any sense.

Guru Fateh ji

we praise God because praising him causes us to remember his greatness and when we remeber his greatness our love for him gets released within us and when that happens our souls find hapiness and we learn the truth

praising God is not about ego or mukhti

Guru Arjun Dev Ji taught us raj na chao mukhat na chao man preet charm kamalare

i dont want kingdom or liberation my mind loves your lotus feet

when we praise God we enjoy his love it is benificial to us

waheguru ji ka khalsa

waheguru ji ki fateh

My apologizes to Quest4Akal and Ramneet Singh. I was simply asking a question not being defensive. It's hard to portray emotions on a forum. :s

I find it kind of insulting to try and explain to an atheist why we try to follow Sikhi. Honestly, I wouldn't be able to explain anything without sounding (at least) a bit offense.

To try to convince an atheist about this stuff is like trying to convince someone in 1200's that earth is round. If that makes any sense.

Guru Fateh ji

we praise God because praising him causes us to remember his greatness and when we remeber his greatness our love for him gets released within us and when that happens our souls find hapiness and we learn the truth

praising God is not about ego or mukhti

Guru Arjun Dev Ji taught us raj na chao mukhat na chao man preet charm kamalare

i dont want kingdom or liberation my mind loves your lotus feet

when we praise God we enjoy his love it is benificial to us

waheguru ji ka khalsa

waheguru ji ki fateh

Thats a good answer. We praise the lord for ourselves no one else. Not for god because he needs no praise. How can we praise something and expect to effect it that when that thing is so far from our own comprehension. I like the above answer. very thoughtful. Waheguru