A Sister's fight for Kirpaan

S1ngh

Vaheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Vaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

http://www.tapoban.org/phorum/read.ppa?f=1...i=11636&t=11636

"Author: A Dukhi Sikh

Date: 03-02-04 18:49

A Sister wrote this very touching story of what occurred at airport, just two days ago. Sikhs should do something about this. It is painful for Sikhs to remove their kakaars.

PLEASE READ HER STORY IN HER OWN WORDS HEREON:

i thought i would tell you what tamasha took place at the vancouver international airport before taking off for toronto....

There I was wearing my beautiful sarbloh Kirpan, my kakkar, my limb, an extension of my body, something I had recently learned never to willingly part from. In the past, I did ardaas and removed it when flying, but this time I just couldn't, it was almost as if I would die of pain if I willingly removed it for any reason at all...just as one may if one of their limbs were cut off.

I went to check in my baggage, confident that Guru Sahib would protect me from any form of harrassment. My ticket was being printed and the attendant lady nicely asked, "ma'am are you aware of any sharp objects IN your bag?", I kindly replied, "I am confident there are no sharp objects in my carry on baggage" and gave her a smile. She returned my ID and gave me my ticket and advised that I should head to the departure gate within 30 mins. I agreed and went to go pay my airport tax and made my way to the extremely large security line up. Finding this a good opportunity to remember Akaal Purakh by reciting Jap Jee Sahib dhaa paath, as He is

the doer of all.

Finally, my turn came, I removed my carry on baggage and placed it into a bin as the nice securtiy gaurd had asked. I stood infront of the metal detector ready to pass through...the security gaurd asked me to remove my jacket. I wasn't planning on doing this, but since I was asked I removed it and placed it in a bin as well. At this point, my long hazooria was covering my beautiful sarbloh Sri Sahib and no one said anything. I was gestured to come through the metal detector, and I did with my hands in front of me, showing my gorgeous shiny sarbloh KaRay. The metal detector made this disturbing and loud sound as I passed through.

The guard rushed towards me and started waving a metal wand around my body. She (young indian lady) saw my Sri Sahib and said in broken punjabi "tusaa ker-pan nahee paa sukdaa", I replied and said "why not? it is hukam for me to wear this as it is my kakkar".

She felt dumbfounded, first in the fact that I knew english, and second at my response. She then said, "I know it is hukam for you, but transport canada doesn't allow for one to travel with weapons".

I replied, "That may be a rule transport Canada made, but I have been given a higher rule which I must obey".

She looked upset and stated, "I'm very very sorry but if you don't remove it you will not be given permission to board the aircraft".

I looked down, and stated "I will never willingly remove my Sri Sahib, if you forcibly remove it then it will come off and Guru Sahib will understand, but how can I remove it myself? I can't.. never.".

She looked at me astonished and said, "You want me to remove it for you?". At this point 3 other gaurds had crowded around me, all of which were also young indians and knew of what was going on. They too were shocked at my lack of cooperation in taking off my Sri Sahib.

My parents were standing in the entrance doors watching what was going on. My mom had tears in her eyes and my father looked sad. I gl

anced back and smiled at them. The other security gaurds advised the first one to take my Sri Sahib off herself, I looked down and started doing mool mantar dhaa paath. She was very hesitant, and stopped.

She then said, "you can check in your ker-pan at the front if you have a bag?".

I said I have only a plastic bag which I can check in, she said "let's go to the check in counter and see what we can do, there is an indian working there". I went with her, my parents followed.

She told the young indian what was the matter, and the lady looked at me with bewilderment and said, "the only thing we can do is check in your Sri Sahib and you will get it with your luggage when you get back..".

I told them that I didn't have any baggage to check in other than my laptop bag. The gaurd put her head down, and took me back into the gate and through the metal detector and said, "Im sorry but I have no other option but to remove your ker-pan".

She reached towards my gatra, her hands shaking. I closed my eyes as if someone was about to behead me. She took it off by moving my hazooria to the side. I immediately started to cry. She stepped back, visibly startled. I looked at my Sri Sahib and could not believe it was taken off. She walked toward teh gate where my parents were standing, and handed them my Sri Sahib. The long line up of people were all watching in amazement as to what had happened. I looked at my parents and my mom smiled at me, and said, "don't worry putt you tried your best".

I was then again searched fully with the metal detector wand, and finally was given permission to go to my departure gate.

I was sobbing and I looked at all of the indian gaurds, they were all looking at me...they all seemed so sad. I said in my mouth, "I will never be able to fly and be a tyaar bar tyaar gursikh". I'm sure they heard. I put on my jacket and picked up my bag and walked away."

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waheguru JIO!

Wow .. bhainji .. that is jsut WOW... i would also like to share my experience that some of u would be ohmy.gif

I went to india this past summer in august... going was no prob i was warned ahead of time to take my siri sahib off by my parents and relatives and even though i did not want to i did by doing ardas.

(BTW... never go on russian airlines... damn ppl dont know how to speak to u with respect and stuff)

Anyway, on the way back at the india airport... we were to go to from india to russia and russia to toronto. While waiting in line for secruity. I was doing my morning nitnem since it was the morning time.... AND suddenly remembered i had my siri sahib on. Well i couldnt take it off then ... so i just told my parents and they said "koi ni .. jo hoya deki jao" . So i just continued to do my nitnem.

When my turn came, still doing nitnem... i went through the metal detector thing.... it beaped cuz of my kara... they knew so they do that stick metal detector thing.. they did it everyone even on top of my dastaar... and it DIDNT BEAP NEAR MY SIRI SAHIB.

I GOT IN!

We flew from india to russia, im on the plane wit my siri sahibmy parents soo happy and me too ... i geuss u can say haumai came into me :)

Russia was a 6 hour wait! And so just being proud, knowing guru sahib is always wit me i went same thing but this tim they fou

dn out. The people they are, being soo RUDE.. told me "Get that dagger off and put it in this box". Im like ok what the hell i started to explain its religious and stuff and they bring in the whole secruity staff... LOL .. i was like ok yes bring it on ill take u all on .. lol j/k ...

Anyway there was someone at least who can speak english to take my siri sahib and who said they can ship it to toronto. EVERYONE... DO NOT LET THEM SHIP IT FOR U! They put it in a envelope i was not aware... cz of the service parents were just like just sweaering at them and we just wanted to get out of there. But jio please leave siri sahib at home, dont let them ship it .. too much beadbi!!!

So ya .. most can say dis was cuz i did nitnem before so i got away and iwasnt doing it after... or i had haumai inme....

But i simply want to keep it straight... it was a lesson from guru sahib to me. About all this ...

I hope everyone had a good time reading my loooooonng post... sorry blush.gif

bhul chuk maph! rolleyes.gif

WOW!! Such an awesome story!!

Jas, man that's amazing!!! How you got in with your Sri Sahib..You know what if you look at it. Even the most advanced technology won't be able to detect your sri sahib, if you go in full shardha, and faith in the feet of GURU SAHIB!!

I know a couple singhs, they put it verticle to their chest facing down, so that when the thing beeps, they think its just buttons, but when its your Sri Sahib.

Main thing is have shardha/pyaar and faith in Guru sahib, this is nothing!!

Bhul chuka maf!!

Im going India in April, first time after taking Amrit, really nervous. Great stories, thanks for sharing.

Can someone please tell me what I should do? Ardas beforehand and after? Also, I have heard that Amritdhari's who are asked to remove their Kakkars don't eat or drink until they wear them again. I have no problem with this, as it would really hurt me to have to remove my Sri Sahib, but is this prescribed in the Rehat?