3HO

Guest SikhForLife

I was researching the group 3HO on the internet, and I stumbled upon the following website:

http://www.rickross.com/groups/3ho.html#Cr...%203HO%20Leader

This website proceeds to call 3HO a cult that is horrible, brainwashing, etc...

Now I personally have never met anyone who has converted into Sikhi; I'm curious what these people are like and how the sangat feels about 3HO. Are they really as bad as this site suggests? It scares me if the stories on this website are real....After all, although sikhnet.com has its fair share of errors, it still does a lot of good...

What does everyone think?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Veer ji, I searched the forum for "3HO" and didn't find any results...perhaps you could send me any URLs pertaining to it?

In any case, this really troubles me (from TIME 1977):

"Bhajan has his critics-and they are severe. Many traditional Sikhs insist that yoga has no place in their religion. Sikh historian Trilochan Singh says that Bhajan's synthesis of Sikhism and Tantrism is "a sacrilegious hodgepodge." Far more important, High Priest Jaswant Singh, a leader of the Sikhs in eastern India and comparable in status to Bhajan Backer Tohra, last week denounced Bhajan's claims. He and his council professed to be "shocked" at Bhajan's "fantastic theories." Yoga, Tantrism and the "<admin-profanity filter activated> practices" taught by Bhajan, the council declared, are "forbidden and immoral."

"Bhajan has repeatedly been accused of being a womanizer. Colleen Hoskins, who worked seven months at his New Mexico residence, reports that men are scarcely seen there. He is served, she says, by a coterie of as many as 14 women, some of whom attend his baths, give him group massages, and take turns spending the night in his room while his wife sleeps elsewhere.

Colleen and her husband Philip, Bhajan's former chancellor, who quit last year, say they could no longer countenance Bhajan's luxurious life-style when so many of his followers had to scrimp along. Filmmaker Don Conreaux, an early apostle, says that originally the yogi was "against titles, against disciples. Now he teaches only obedience to him." When Philip Hoskins quit last year, he says Bhajan told him that he would suffer 84 million reincarnations and be "reborn as a worm for betrayi

ng your teacher.""

If you haven't taken the time to read some of the articles on the aforementioned website (most of which are written by ex-3HO members), you definetely should. Either this website is revealing someone who is abusing Gurbani for his own personal use, or the website is just bashing a Gursikh...Who knows? ohmy.gif

WJKK

WJKF,

I spent almost 5 months with 3HO sikhs. If I just do the comparision of Punjabi Sikhs (please note that its my experience with punjabi sikhs) and '3HO sikhs', I may say the following :

1. 3HO Sikhs feel proud to be a Sikh and STRONGLY committed, but many of my Sikh friends have cut hair as they feel the guilt of being a Sikh.....and many of my punjabi Sikh friends have changed the meaning of being a SIKH (they just say we are sikh at heart....but they can't be a sikh if they donot beleive in Guru Gobind Singh ji).

2. '3HO' sikhs wear traditional punjabi bana with proud at gurudwara sahib and at home also, but the punjabi sikhs feel (atleast the Sikhs I am with) that traditional dresses make them look 'pendu'.

3. In 3HO sikh's gurudwara sahib u can barely see any 'mona' or cut hair.You can easily see 100-120 turbans in the sunday sangat.But in punjabi sikh's gurudwara sahib we cannot see 10 or more turbaned youth (we are only 3 in our gurudwara).

Please note that I used 'punjabi sikh's gurudwara' term just to show the difference, please donot take it in a wrong way.

4. 3HO gurudwara Sahib is so spirtual that I can't explain but the gurudwara we have here at my place lacks that spituality because of the sangat.Sangat in our gurudwara prefer politics and leg pulling.

5. 3HO sikhs leave their beard untied and flowing.They feel proud of the sri sahib (kirpan) and wear it over their bana.But a VERY FEW amritdhari punjabi sikhs in our gurudwara somehow do not feel that proud.

4. 3HO sikhs wake up at 3 in the morning and do Japji Sahib. Then they do yoga and then kirt

an.But I never saw a group of punjabi siks doing that in our gurudwara sahib.

There are MANY MANY things which I can point out here.For me it was an experience I can NEVER forget. I am so critical abt punjabi sikhs because of my personal experiences with my friends.And I saw a gr8 difference in the Gurudwara spirtuality.Your experience with punjabi sikhs may be a lot different but my experience tells me that I need to learn a lot from 3HO sikhs.

I will be more than happy to provide any information u guys need regarding them.

Bhul Chuk Maff.

Guest SikhForLife

i have no doubt .. they are chardikala.. and love sikhi more than an average "sikh"

although my doubt arises when i hear em doin mantras and tantras and kundalini yoga etc..

I dont know much abt that as my stay was only for 5 months.They do some 'white tantra' which is some set of exercises.People like us think that 'tantra' means the 'hindu' thing.But they do some excercises and donot read and 'tantar mantar' like hindus. And I dont think thats bad as an excercise. Same is the case with the kundalni yoga.They are just some yoga excercises to keep themself fit physically.They say it improves their meditation power also.

In India, I also attended some yoga classes and they were really cool.They didn't make me more or less of a sikh.

I dont know how to put things in words, but my understanding says that by doing that doesn't make umm a more or a less sikh.They practice sikhism by reading banis daily and doin dasvandh and other sikh things.

Bhul Chuk maff

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

I have never had the honor to meet any of them, but I have seen them around. They are much more devoted than me without a doubt!! People who take the effort to convert into Sikhi do if for all the right reasons, and Waheguru will see that.

About the yoga and stuff... I think that Guruji explained that yoga and stuff is wrong because there is no faith? behind it. As well, many of the mystic yogis do it for money, or they lock themselves away from society which Guruji forbided. I think the Sikhs that use it do it to focus the mind, to meditate, like mool mantar... which means that such techniques are used as a means to a greater end... Waheguru!!

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Waheguru ji!

Hmmm interesting ... wow i myself dont know much about this group but ive heard they really in depth followers of sikhi and really hardcore to. I heard when u goto a gurdwara of a sikh say anywhere u see kids running around, bibian socializing, etc....

But in a gora gurdwara (shouldnt be a difference but just tellin the difference :) ) ... u see its like everyone is quiet and doing naam simran and what your suppose to do! Its wicked fro mwhat i heard... u guys can correct me if im wrong.

My experiences are just stories from people and some members such as Gurfateh singh of toronto. If anyone of u guys get a chance do get the company of such singhs and just see how there meaning towards of sikhi is ... its better that way then just simply hearing stuff and rumours from others rolleyes.gif

bhul chuk maph! blush.gif