Braiding Hair Is Anti-gurmat?

GOT A PROBLEM WITH TAKSALIS?!

lol

yeah, i braided my guth too, and put hearts all over my suit b/c of this shabad

bhenji, some shabads are not meant to be taken literally

gundhing ur guth wont get u nowhere closer to Akal.

though many shabds are to be taken literally, i think this one of the shabads maharaj wrote as a poetical metaphor describing the suhaganhs devotion to Akal

apologize for my sarcastic humor ahead of time:D

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would be quite interested in hearing other people's views with reasoning on this.

At the moment...I braid my hair....always have done but I noticed my mum doesn't braid her's and neither does my dad.... I seem to be the odd one out.

Also another thing I was speaking to a girl who was telling me how to tie a dastaar and she told me that u have to wrap your hair in the kapra. No one in our house wraps their hair in the kapra so I nearly fainted when I heard that.......surely it will rip my hair apart!!

I tend to be really protective of my hair and I don't let anyone touch it and I don't wanna lose anybits....so I let her know that I don't wanna rip parts of my hair and asked why i could not just have a joora...she said u cannot but i never really understood why. I then watched some youtube video's.....they hinted at something called a rishi knot.....which again is something I am confused about.

I would be interested to hear people's replies..the only thing I know for definate is that the joora is meant to be bought together over the soft spot on the head....

^ I don't think the kapra you are talking about is compulsory. As far as I am aware, that is a personal choice for a variety of reasons to do with joora bulk/dastaar shape. Perhaps you could ask your friend why you must wear it.

I would be really interested in hearing more about Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh's view on braiding kes though.

Remember at the end of the day to do what you feel is right, and what you can justify to your Guru as being right. Then nobody can tell you that you're being 'anti-gurmat' or not.

I would be quite interested in hearing other people's views with reasoning on this.

At the moment...I braid my hair....always have done but I noticed my mum doesn't braid her's and neither does my dad.... I seem to be the odd one out.

Also another thing I was speaking to a girl who was telling me how to tie a dastaar and she told me that u have to wrap your hair in the kapra. No one in our house wraps their hair in the kapra so I nearly fainted when I heard that.......surely it will rip my hair apart!!

I tend to be really protective of my hair and I don't let anyone touch it and I don't wanna lose anybits....so I let her know that I don't wanna rip parts of my hair and asked why i could not just have a joora...she said u cannot but i never really understood why. I then watched some youtube video's.....they hinted at something called a rishi knot.....which again is something I am confused about.

I would be interested to hear people's replies..the only thing I know for definate is that the joora is meant to be bought together over the soft spot on the head....

Rishi know is same as joora. isnetad of a joora, why not just tie a bun (no knot) at the top of your head? it keeps the hair more relazed so it does not pull at the scalp, cuaisng hair loss, but is not as secure as a joora...

I clarified this....its not to make it big cos its not keskhi kapra....basically you put ure hair in the kapra forming the main dastaar and u twist it and then u wrap the lars around.....so its ure wrapping ure hair in the kapra around ure head. It was actually really traumatic for me to hear...she was gonna do it on me but I decided I didn't wanna go thru with it...and I asked her why I cud just not keep my braids and she goes you cannot...something about it not being purataan.

When your hair is growing you can just comb it and try to tie a top knot, if you can't then just wear a dumaalaa and try to tuck all your case in, simple as that, no need to braid or mess around.

If you wear a proper dumaalaa you won't have a problem, do this until your hair grow longer.

Please share your views.. thanks

my hair is still short so i started braiding it and tying it into a joora.

is thi anti gurmat?

can i braid my hair and then tie a dumalla?

yeh.. sure.. why not... but remember u gotta comb ur kesh everyday too...

It isn't. Do some corn rolls too!

cornrolls cannot be taken out.. once they're in, they're in for life... otherwise u gotta shave ur head and start from scratch... cornrolls cannot be combed... therefore, they are a no-no... (unless they're already in from before a person takes amrit - which, in that case, there's nothing that can be done)

Heera Singh should reply tongue.gif

oye... tongue.gif tu baija raam naal :)

on a serious note... there's nothing 'gurmat-ly' wrong with braiding in itself... as long as 1. ur head is covered and 2. u are able to comb ur kesh everyday anyways... and as long as u aint tryna pull no sean paul look or something hahaha...