Bhangra And Sikhism

njjassa

Bhangra vs Sikhism  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Would you justify bhangra being a part of sikhism?

• I do
    • I totally disagree
    • No comments

I voted 'totally diasgree.'

Sikhi does not contain bhangra.

It just so happens that the majority of Sikhs are from a Punjabi background and that bhangra is part of the colourful Punjabi lifestyle.

I am personally proud that out of all the Punjabi communities and groups, it is the Sikhs who have taken bhangra onto a new level, maintaining the Punjabiyat traditions. Its just one of things that we are good at naturally (ie part of our cultural-ethnic inheritance) - its a very matcho dance with lots of bravado and full of association with maya and drinking. But categorically and absolutely is nothing to do with Sikhi, the religion.

Do I dance the bhangra? Well, it takes a few whiskeys at a wedding and then off I go like a bhangra-bandara (or do people say bhangra-bahadura???)!!!

Seriously I hope that in my life I will find the path to taking Amrit. Now I know a lot of amritdharis who at wedding celebrations do not go into the halls afterwards due to the conflict with their ethos. I cannot say what I would do at that stage, but would probably want to minimise mingling within such a place and certainly will not be dancing the bhangra...I am not totally sure how it conflicts with spiritual aspects, but it is certainly in conflict with one who is supposed to remain tyaar-bar-tyaar.

Guest peacemaker
acha, well thanx 4 da translation!! dont think i would have worked it out by myself!

lol ill let sum1 else explain, im fed up with tellin ppl like u da same thing ova and ova and ova and ova...

Then don't, R Deep Singh. Let people live their own lives however they want.