Amritdhari...need Some Real Advice

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jau tau prem khelan ka chao sir dhar tali gali mori ao

it marg pair dharijai sir dijai KANH NA KIJAI

dont worry about what the public says/thinks about u

as sikhs, we are maded to stand out, in a way we are a panth of weirdos, and proud too

when u go outside, ur not representing urself

ur representing 125000(sava lakh)

dude its common for every sikh to feel that way...... most ppl have been through while most may be still be struggling to maintain an identity... all we can hope and do is ardass .....coz in such situations one need to be motivated and encouraged to become something unique in a positive way which would have positive impression on others as a result of their struggle..... thas wht makes us SIKHS!! :)

you say that you would never do alcohol etc like other people who normally trim and start doing it, but youre amrithari, and it would be a bujjar kurehit for you to cut your kesh so that means you would have to go pesh infront of punj pyareh and ask for forgivness...or are you saying you want to leave being an amrithari but start living a 'typical' sikh life, where you have a trimmed dhari and a dastaar?

there must have been a reason in the first place why you wanted to take amrit ( unless you wer forced ) you cant just let go of the biggest blessing ever!

if i was to cut my dhari then i wud still do my paath and do all the things that i love about sikhi but the only thing that wud be diferent wud be that i trim. i know lots of people who have broken their amrit and started on the alcohol and drugs etc etc but i wud never do that and have never thought about doing things like that.

' the only thing that would be different is that i trim ' the only??? thats huge, youre cutting such a blessing from guru ji, your cutting kesh that have amrit inside them! and you commit a bujjar kurehit by cutting your kesh so its basically the same thing as people who drink alcohol

there is a reason why we get facial hair , makes sikh look unique and out there...

Hi people, im new to this site.

I have been amritdhari for a long time now but I have never really been comfortable with it. The main reason is because of my appearance...i dont feel confident having a long dhari and I am just not the same confident person i used to be. everytime i leave the house and walk down the street i am soo consious about how i look and i find that even when im talkin to people im thinkin about how i look to them.

I kno it might seem very vain but im struggling with it and i always have been.

if i was to cut my dhari then i wud still do my paath and do all the things that i love about sikhi but the only thing that wud be diferent wud be that i trim. i know lots of people who have broken their amrit and started on the alcohol and drugs etc etc but i wud never do that and have never thought about doing things like that.

again i know it sounds vain but i just want to feel more comfortable with my appearance.

What shall i do?

I ain't amrit-dhari, but I liek gettin noticed cos of my bbeard, i like scaring people grrrrr, walk confidently, u haven;t had khalsa training have u? u need to go to the barracks ;)

thanks everyone for the help....i have changi sangat...none of my friends drink...do drugs or eat meat. we all go sikh society at univeristy together etc etc....

ive been taught that the reason we keep our facial hair is to show that we dont care about our appearance and that we have given up the ego...but just no matter how much i try i am still not comfortable with my appearance.

sometimes i think i might have been forced a little into taking my amrit when i was younger as i would definitly not take it at this age i am at now...but i jus need some kind of direction and i dont know where to get it from??

pul chuk maaf

I have been amritdhari for a long time now but I have never really been comfortable with it. The main reason is because of my appearance...i dont feel confident having a long dhari and I am just not the same confident person i used to be. everytime i leave the house and walk down the street i am soo consious about how i look and i find that even when im talkin to people im thinkin about how i look to them.

again i know it sounds vain but i just want to feel more comfortable with my appearance.

What shall i do?

Totally know how you feel. Epecially since the weather's gotten better. being an amrtidhari girl is even harder. Plus I go to a school of mostly white people who are unacustomed to turban wearing hairy females.

But then the sun shines, you wear nice simple yet femenine and graceful clothing. You hold your head up high and smile to all. Then you realise that you don't do it for others but yourself and Waheguru.

Today a lil kid at a McDonalds reataurant turned asn asked me straight out...'what's that on your head?' I love how kids say what everyone else is thinking (and I could tell they were). So i said in a loud and clear voice...'Ahem, It's called dastaar or turban and as a Sikh it is my crown which a price/princess might wear'

'OOOh I wish I had one!' was the reply.

So moral of the story = chill, take the days as they come and remember Him.

Did you take Amrit in light of having a greater awareness or acceptance of the path you were to embark upon? In the west now people are beginning to awaken to new levels of spirituality, at a time when the rest of the world is beginning to become more compassionate and less judgemental it is an odd time for ego (Edging God Out) to come to the fore front of your mind.

There was once a Sakhi of a man who met 10th Guru. This man was blessed to have meeting and blessings of the Guru. There was several chances for him to spend the night with the prostitute, but whenever he made the attempt he heard someone shouting, or got the impression of being seen. Do you have a subconscious call such as this? If not, you are likely living a conscious delusion that is the physical manifestation of the allusory life. The one provided to all people to struggle with. Only you can tell how in tune you are with your vibratory Source, your very Nature. Doing Bani is not a means to connect with this Source and experience it on this earth, Love and the correct and Spiritually guided application of the Bani is the way to do this.

Could you enlighten me to what percent of the population finds you unappealing? Could you come up with such numbers? Is it everybody?

Once a man in the Nazi war camp described seeing beauty in a bowl of soup which contained the cut head of a fish. What many would describe as being a horrid or rancid situation, this individual described as beautiful. Are you sure it is not your own perception of reality that is leading you to see or experience the world the way you are?

What shall i do?

Whatever you will do, the moment you do it, it will be now. in that moment, consider whether you are acting from the egoic dysfunction of the human mind, or from your higher spiritual centre that must have guided you at some point. Have you attempted to return to this centre?

As above regards