Why Don't You Take Amrit?

Akaali

iblwvlu mhlw 5 ]

bilaaval mehalaa 5 ||

Bilaaval, Fifth Mehla:

mwtI qy ijin swijAw kir durlB dyh ]

maattee thae jin saajiaa kar dhuralabh dhaeh ||

He fashioned you from clay, and made your priceless body.

Aink iCdR mn mih Fky inrml idRstyh ]1]

anik shhidhr man mehi dtakae niramal dhrisattaeh ||1||

He covers the many faults in your mind, and makes you look immaculate and pure. ||1||

ikau ibsrY pRBu mnY qy ijs ky gux eyh ]

kio bisarai prabh manai thae jis kae gun eaeh ||

So why do you forget God from your mind? He has done so many good things for you.

pRB qij rcy ij Awn isau so rlIAY Kyh ]1] rhwau ]

prabh thaj rachae j aan sio so raleeai khaeh ||1|| rehaao ||

One who forsakes God, and blends himself with another, in the end is blended with dust. ||1||Pause||

ismrhu ismrhu swis swis mq iblm kryh ]

simarahu simarahu saas saas math bilam karaeh ||

Meditate, meditate in remembrance with each and every breath - do not delay!

Coif pRpMcu pRB isau rchu qij kUVy nyh ]2]

shhodd prapa(n)ch prabh sio rachahu thaj koorrae naeh ||2||

Renounce worldly affairs, and merge yourself into God; forsake false loves. ||2||

ijin Aink eyk bhu rMg kIey hY hosI eyh ]

jin anik eaek bahu ra(n)g keeeae hai hosee eaeh ||

He is many, and He is One; He takes part in the many plays. This is as He is, and shall be.

kir syvw iqsu pwrbRhm gur qy miq lyh ]3]

kar saevaa this paarabreham gur thae math laeh ||3||

So serve that Supreme Lord God, and accept the Guru's Teachings. ||3||

aUcy qy aUcw vfw sB sMig brnyh ]

oochae thae oochaa vaddaa sabh sa(n)g baranaeh ||

God is said to be the highest of the high, the greatest of all, our companion.

dws dws ko dwsrw nwnk kir lyh ]4]17]47]

dhaas dhaas ko dhaasaraa naanak kar laeh ||4||17||47||

Please, let Nanak be the slave of the slave of Your slaves. ||4||17||47||

When I wasnt amritdhaari i used to think just like some of you do... but i only took it when i realised i could die the next second, BUT you need to ensure that you would be able to keep the rehit/lifestyle and not take amrith just because you think ur gna die any second, theres no point in taking it if your not gna keep it enit, its all vaaheguroo's kirpaa. I'm just saying this just incase there is literally nothing stopping you, just reminding you that we dont have much time.

I knew this penji, and my mama jee sed to her, 'why dont you take amrith?' (he's a joka) and she thought to herself 'whats stopping me?' so she took amrith the next amrith sanchaar

vaaheguroooo!

Good question and one which I am surprised has not been asked on SS before.

I guess that there are many people like myself on forums like this. People from Punjabi Sikh families who have grown up with shorn hair, but are thirsty for the knowledge and way of life offered by Sikhi.

Despite learning a lot about Sikhi, reading and understanding Gurbani and meeting good examples of Gursikhs, I know that I am not yet ready. Three main reasons: Homai, Maya and knowing the reality of such committment. I cannot guarantee that I am so detached that I can take Amrit - in fact I doubt that will be case during my working life.

I think that the best time for me would be approaching retirement, when I can fully detach and guarantee my head to Guruji.

If you are from a Gursikh family and grew up in that environment and with that support, then I do not think it is easy to understand what the dillema is. The question posed by Talikhaak may offer some insight, but otherwise only little depth into this. Furthermore, I doubt that many non Amritdharis will come forward to reply on the forum due to the fear of prejudice percieved.

One request please to all Amritdhari youth:

Next time you sit in the Guru's durbar, look around at the Sangat. Go upto a Sikh who sits there with just a rumal on his head and greet them with Fateh. Strike up a conversation - get to know him/her. Share the greatness that Guruji has given you and I guarantee that you will have a positive effect upon them. Do not sit there like sadhus - the Guru needs you to spread the Sikhi parchar. You may even be surprised and learn something yourselves.

Nice idea JungalDal

Before I can take Amrit, I must count myself as worthy of Amrit.

In my own mind, I do not even call myself a sikh because I believe it is an insult to all those who have given their lives for the Panth. Those who fought for the Panth were True Sikhs.

Until I believe I am ready to take Amrit, I cannot take that step.

I read about how those who wished to take Amrit would have to be to sit through a full Akhand Path. I can't even make it through a normal service without drifting off.

Some really good replies. I think more amritdhari singhs/singhnia should also contribute and try to answer some of the questions/concerns raised in some of the posts.

From the general tone of replies it seems like some are not "ready" or there are "obstacles" in their life that is stopping them from taking amrit. Bhai Sahib says, charan saran gur ek painda jae chal|, we walk and are walking but I think we get stuck along the way and these obstacles are like boulders and it become hard for us to overcome them and eventually we get stuck behind a wall and are unable to move forward. I've known some people on this forum that have been posting and learning/sharing for YEARS almost since the beginning and they still haven't taken that step onto the path. Someone once told me taking amrit is like getting registered in school, we can come into class, read, study, etc. but we'll never get tested because we haven't registered yet and we can't progress and eventually graduate because we haven't accepted the pritham rehat put forth by our father (pritham rehat yeh jaan khande kee pahul chakke|)

Every situation is personal and different but according to gurbani and pooran satguru we must ALWAYS evaluate ourselves on this path, and question ourselves as to why we haven't taken that first step in improving our jeevan, what are we waiting for? We should be reading/listening and trying to understand the bani of Guru Sahib from Guru Nanak Sahib who dispelled this darkness and brought forth Sikhi to the later Gurus who taught of love, simran, service, sacrifice, to Guru Tegh Bahadur Jee and his emphasis on shedding this temporary world for something greater, and why our father Guru Gobind Singh jee solidified that greater thing into Amrit. Why?

Our Gurus have laid the steps for us, they've created for us the staircase to heaven we just have to walk on it with love and dedication. We have to realize that maya is putting these thoughts and obstacles in our minds so we don't get to follow and lead this way of life, eh maya mohni jin et bharam bhulaya| Once we realize that we will beg for amrit and can't wait an instant for amrit. Personally, I barely had any kes when I first took amrit, I wasn't fully prepared, many aren't but if you take just that ONE step towards him you receive so much more in return that I can't even begin to express. So to not carry on any longer, one thing I would suggest is evaluate what is greater to you in your life is it love for your guru or something else?

Beginning of this article touches on some good points too: http://naam-jor.blogspot.com/

Bhul chuk muaaf karnee.

i think taking amrit is perhaps the wrong word...................forgive me but for me what made the decisions was NEEDING amrit..............today we are so wrapped in in work, family, social life, culture, society.....who has time to thinkand reflect upon needing Waheguru........where there is realisation............theres is a want......................where there is want............there is NEED!

I remembering begging Maharaj for amrit di daat.........waheguru put dass through so many tests and challenges but He himself ensured i overcame them

AMimRqu pIvY ijs no Awip pIAwey ]

They alone drink in this Amrit, whom the Lord Himself inspires to do so.

no-one is can make this decision.......when waheguru wants you........he will make you his..........and that day............................waheguru.................is where life truly begins

i think justme has the right atitude to amrit. You must have a desire/need for it. its the same for nam simran, wnad shakna or sewa etc. there has to be a thirst for it. as Guru says Satgur ki sewa safal hai...

we must have the chit for it.