New Member.

While the emphasis is not on how the world was created and making it better. But in Gurbani it states that first Vaheguroo (God) created the double edged sword, and then with his name created the whole world. The big bang theory seems to fit within sikhism, as scientists believe that it was a large sound which set off the big bang, and is causing the universes to constantly expand. This fits in with Sikhism's concept of the naad, the sound of God's name running through the universe.

So you do have beliefs on the origins of the universe but they are not to be dwelled on and there is more of an emphasis on bettering what we have been blessed with?

The Big Bang theory is also mentioned and noted in the Qur'an. :)

about the sikhi and cultural thing. Well the way it worked out was that most Panjabis were sikhs, as in any religion there will be people who don't want to follow it. So they stopped following most of the Guroo's teachings, but some sikhi teachings stayed with them.

Sikhi and panjabi culture clash in many respects, When Guroo Gobind Singh Ji created the Khalsa, he created a new, distinct nation, with its own distinct ways.

Understood. So while some people choose to leave the religion a lot of things they liked they'll keep thus where culture and religion cross over.

Making the culture influenced by the religion rather than the religion influenced by the culture? Good. :)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awgy Awvq isMG ju pwvY ] vwihgurU kI Pqy bulwvY ]

aagae aavath si(n)gh j paavai || vaahiguroo kee fathae bulaavai ||

Whenever he sees another Singh approaching at a distance. He greets him with 'Vaheguru Jee Kaa Khalsa! Vaheguru Jee Kee Fatheh!!'

Rehatnama Bhai Desa Singh

Meaning the Khalsa belongs to Waheguru and victory belongs to Waheguru. The creator of the Fateh is Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

:)

laim that there is no gender equality in religion, when there clearly is. Islam is scutanised for the hijab [veil] blindly for example. So it is great to see an apparent reference to respect for women in Sikhism.

Sat Sri Akal and welcome beirutboy. Hope you get a better insight into Sikhi (and Gurbani).

Please note that there is a major difference in the definition and practice of equality between 'male/female' gender (and 'human race' equality in general) as mentioned in the quran/haddith and that in Sri Guru Guru Granth Sahib ji.

[http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Guru_Granth_Sahib]

So would it be permissable for me to use one to a Sikh I see? Or would that be disrespectful? (Just wondering cos I don't want to do something stupid hehe)

Would he/she assume I to am a Sikh?

You can say Sat Sri Akal or Vaheguru Jee Kee Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh. No disrepect either way. They might assume you were Sikh just as you may assume a Christian saying the Islamic Greeting was Muslim. Or you could just say Hello :)

My apologies. I had no idea what to call it and had read a news article about it earlier in the year in which it was refered to as such. I will refrain from the word "dagger" in future.

No worries, no need to apologise. We all here to learn :)

So you don't change positions during the prayer? :)

No.

Also what does the text on this emoticon mean?

:vaheguru:

It says Vaheguru in Gurmukhi / Punjabi, what Sikhs call 'God'.

Thank you. What is "Satsriakal"? :)

Also my question was more on the significance of these two names. I love the meanings and I'm gathering that the significance of the female last name is to suggest their husbands should treat them as such? :)

There's one thing I hate, and that is the atheist (Don't drill me any Atheists here - I'm not generalising, I just see it regularly. I'm not saying all Atheists think this way) claim that there is no gender equality in religion, when there clearly is. Islam is scutanised for the hijab [veil] blindly for example. So it is great to see an apparent reference to respect for women in Sikhism.

Does the man being the lion refer to him being a protector of sorts?

Also, is it true males carry daggers? Is this for self defense or as a monument?

I saw a pic of the dagger while looking for a forum. It was curved. Thought it looked cool.

Sorry if I'm coming off as ignorant, I am here to learn and broaden my horizons so it could be expected in ways.

Any Aussie Sikhs here?

~BeirutBoy.

hi yea am from melbourne

Please note that there is a major difference in the definition and practice of equality between 'male/female' gender (and 'human race' equality in general) as mentioned in the quran/haddith and that in Sri Guru Guru Granth Sahib ji.

[http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Guru_Granth_Sahib]

There is.

Whilst it may not be followed as it should be in some cases it is certainly there though, this goes for any way of life. :(

You can say Sat Sri Akal or Vaheguru Jee Kee Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh. No disrepect either way. They might assume you were Sikh just as you may assume a Christian saying the Islamic Greeting was Muslim. Or you could just say Hello :)

True, I have assumed someone saying "Salamu alaikum" is Muslim based on that. :)

Maybe Hello is a better option.

It says Vaheguru in Gurmukhi / Punjabi, what Sikhs call 'God'.

Oh Thank you for this. :)

hi yea am from melbourne

Best city on Earth, am I right?

hello my brother

listen me bro...

u always said AALLAAH--O-AKBAR (IT MEANS GOD IS ONE)

i want to tell u our first lines from our holly book(SHRI GURU GRANTH SAHIB JI)

IK OUANKAAR (GOD IS ONE)

SAT NAAM (HIS NAME IS TURE)

KARTA PURKH (HE IS ONLY ONE CREATOR)(HE IS BEYOND ALL THE DEEDS.HE CREATES WHATEVER WE CAN SEE AND FEEL,AS WELL WHATEVER WE CAN'T SEE AND FEEL)

NIR-BOUGH (HE IS WITHOUT ANY FEAR{NO ONE CAN MAKE HIM SCARED})

NIR VAIR (HE HAS NO ENEMY{HE DON'T HATE,HE LOVES ALWAYS ALL OF WHAT HE CREATES})

AKAL MURAT (HE IS BEYOND FROM DEATH{HE HAS NO FACE,MEAN HE IS JUST LIGHT})

AJUNI (HE NEVER TAKES BIRTH)

SAIBHANG (HE IS SELF EXICESTENT)

GUR PARASAD (HE IS BLESSED INNER{U CAN GET HIM BY ONLY BLESSED FROM TRUE GURU}TRUE GURU IS OUR HOLLY BOOK)

JAP (CHANT HIS NAME)

AAD SACH (HE IS TRUE WHEN EARTH WAS NOT,U CAN SAY NOTHING WHATEVER WE CAN SEE)

JUGAD SACH (HE IS TRUE FROM BEYOND AGES{AGES MEAN YEARS GONE WHEN EARTH BECOME INTO PLANET)

HAI BHI SACH (HE IS TRUE RIGHT NOW)

NANAK HOSI BHI SACH (HEY NANAK , HE WILL BE TRUE IN FUTURE)

SHRI GURU NANAK DEV JI OUR FIRST PROPHET LIKE AS U HAVE MOHAMED

HAI BHI SACH

Wow.

Good concept. Thank you for sharing that with me SonyNeech. :)

SHRI GURU NANAK DEV JI OUR FIRST PROPHET LIKE AS U HAVE MOHAMED

HAI BHI SACH

Yes, my brother in humanity. :) But Muslims believe Muhammad (Sulallahu alayhi wasalam) was the last of 124,000 Prophets and 300+ Messengers.

The difference between a Prophet and a Messenger is that a Messenger is still a Prophet, but one that bougth forth law to humanity. :)

Hey, is it true or false that Sikh males must have long hair? :)

Guest peacemaker
Hey, is it true or false that Sikh males must have long hair? :)

Welcome to the forum, BeirutBoy!! :) Yes, Sikh males and females should keep their hair. ;)