Does Gurmukh = Amritdhari

We become GurSikh from taking Amrit but to become Gurmukh is the same as being a baby,- to -, understanding what/how to uphold Amrit. Taking Amrit is being born and being Gurmukh is when the GurSikh gets the insight from God or from Guru (**(Guru Granth/Guru Panth/Guru PanjPyare)**)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not necessarily veerjeeo, sure amrit is a step to becoming gurmukh but its not necessary, a hindu can even become a gurmukh. I agree with this part of your post "being Gurmukh is when the GurSikh gets the insight from God or from Guru" That is satguru, one who is enlightened himself. For a gursikh one of the fundamental steps on the journey to becoming gurmukh is to take amrit, keep rehat and keep a solid gursikhee jeevan. But for someone who is not a "sikh" per say, doesn't have to follow the same steps.

The following article will shed some light on the topic:

I was incorrectly taught at Sikh camps that when you became initiated as a Sikh you were now a Gurmukh- meaning that I had my face (mukh) towards the Guru (Gur). And everyone who was not initiated was still a Manmukh - had their face (mukh) towards their own mind (man). So then when I read or heard the Gurbani, words of the Guru, and they praised the Gurmukh as the verses below do, I felt very satisfied. And when the verses criticised Manmukhs, I ignored that because that obviously applied to the rest of the unitiated congregation!

Who is Gurmukh?

Actually, Dassan Das Ji put us straight. Gurmukh is the state of an enlightened soul. When there is no difference between what the Guru's Words teach and what you say, think and do. Gur - Mukh means you are the living , breathing walking talking word (mukh) of the Highest Guru i.e. God (Gur).

And to be Gurmukh has nothing to do with the religion you follow or the initiations you have taken. The verses below show that the saints like the child Prehlad Ji, the King Janak Ji and Vashisht Ji were all Gurmukh.

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪ੍ਰਹਿਲਾਦਿ ਜਪਿ ਹਰਿ ਗਤਿ ਪਾਈ ॥

guramukh prehilaadh jap har gath paaee ||

As Gurmukh, Prahlaad meditated on the Lord, and was saved.

"As Gurmukh, Prahlaad meditated on the Lord, and was saved."

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪ੍ਰਹਿਲਾਦਿ ਜਪਿ ਹਰਿ ਗਤਿ ਪਾਈ ॥

guramukh prehilaadh jap har gath paaee ||

As Gurmukh, Prahlaad meditated on the Lord, and was saved.

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਬਸਿਸਟਿ ਹਰਿ ਉਪਦੇਸੁ ਸੁਣਾਈ ॥

Gurmukẖ basist har upḏės suṇā­ī.

As Gurmukh, Vashisht taught the Teachings of the Lord.

Even Bhai Gurdas Ji in his verses writes the founder of Yoga, Patanjali was Gurmukh. In another verse also writes that Gurmukh Nanak Pargat hoi - meaning that Nanak was also Gurmukh who became manifest in this world.

So really Gurmukh is nothing less that being the same as the Guru. Gurbani describes this as when the Sikh and the Guru become one, like the wave and the ocean, like the ray and the sun are one.

Dassan Das Ji explained to us that basically until we become Gurmukh by defeating the 5 thieves, we are Manmukh - we are following the words of our own mind, and are not following the words of our Guru 100%.

So when listening to the divine lovable words of Gurbani, remember the verses about Manmukh apply to most of us, and the Guru is telling us to defeat our worldy mind.

To read more on this topic of Gurmukh and Manmukh visit the website:

http://www.satnaam.info/index.php?option=c...3&Itemid=11

• 1 month later...
Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji ke Fatheh

Hope the above does not seem like a silly question. From my understanding Gur-Mukh = Guru's Student. Does that mean that to be classed as GurMukh you have to be AmritDhari?

Pull Chuk maaf

gurmukh is the highest spiritual stage. until we do not fully defeat our panj chors, we are manmukhs. you are gurmukh when you face your inner guru not your mind. true gurmukhs are the the 10 gurus.

there is only 1 guru and that is GOD. all of us have that guru within us. but we need external guru (the one who is connected to his own inner guru e.g. 10 guru sahibans) to help us and guide us so we can connect to our inner guru too. its all same and 1 guru. there is no 2 gurus. there is only 1 guru and thats the highest - God.

when we see it like that, we start to see that it is all 1 god, that was in different physical body. then we dont look at physical body, we only look at the supreme jyot within the body.

initiation means that you have surrendered to guru and when you do actually follow guru instructions and do exactly what he says, then you can call yourself a true gursikh. if you dont listen to guru teachings and dont practise, we cant even call ourself a gursikh.

gurmukh is the highest stage.

I'm not saying I know the answer, but you got a long way to go brother.

One doesn't have to follow a set of guidelines or rules to become a gurmukh all the answers on how to become gurmukh is in gurbani you just have to study bani.

Rehat maryada is a code of conduct to keep us in displine.

You don't have to be amritdhari to become gurmukh. You should read up some sakhia.

nishani sikhi in panj harf kaaf hargiz na bashad azin panj muaf. kara kachh kardo kanghe bidan. bina kes hechh ast zumle nishan

That won't make you a gurmukh.

yep. it wont make you a gurmukh, but it is the nishaan of hu we are.. there are loads (loads!!) of gurbani saing about gurmukh and gursikh.

with amrit, (in this context,) amrit can bee looked on as a gift from our guru. it helps us achieve our avasta in our selves. it greatly hellps us grow spritualy. in gurbani, from what i have gathered from my guru, is that, first, anyone can reach god. they must do good things.. like rom rom simran and basicly jup the naam of the lord. so a non amritdhari can be a gurmukh.

there are gurmukhs from even other relegions. i have seen this.. even monae.. but gurmukh have uptaken gurmat, and 'pushed away' (tiaag) their own mat. (manmat).

a gurmukh is one hu lisens to the lord, and nothing else.. (therefore riding himself to attachment to the world, himself, and all else that is not gurmat)

we are human. with this punj pootak sareer. it is dam hard for us to reach any 'level. this is why we have the gift of amrit. to help us see god and speak goodness. and the most inportent, to help us open our dasam dwaar..

so gurmukh does not = amritdhari. but being amrit dhari helps. alot... y?? gurmat!!! das y!

pul chul maaf

gurfateh..

now in my opinion..

"man" and "aatma" are both fighting for the attention of ur "Budhi" (your concentration)

"man" is full of information taken in from this physical world via. the 5 Gian Indra's

"aatma" is connected to "parmaatma"

When ur budhi faces man, you become ManMukh - ie: ur budhi faces ur understanding of the World.

When your budhi faces aatma, you become GurMukh. If by chance you fail to realise what your aatma is saying.. or distinguish between what ur "man" is telling u and what the aatma is telling u then refer to Guru Granth Sahib Ji - as this is Aatmic Gian.

Sorry for going off topic.

now in my opinion..

"man" and "aatma" are both fighting for the attention of ur "Budhi" (your concentration)

"man" is full of information taken in from this physical world via. the 5 Gian Indra's

"aatma" is connected to "parmaatma"

When ur budhi faces man, you become ManMukh - ie: ur budhi faces ur understanding of the World.

When your budhi faces aatma, you become GurMukh. If by chance you fail to realise what your aatma is saying.. or distinguish between what ur "man" is telling u and what the aatma is telling u then refer to Guru Granth Sahib Ji - as this is Aatmic Gian.

Sorry for going off topic.

vah ji vah excellent explanation,, pure anand mangal :D