American Sikh's Do Bhangra Dance

_!_GUPT_!_

I put it down to secterianism. Different sects within Sikhism have different ways of doing things, as long as they dont bring fundamental messages or scriptures of sikhism into disrepute i couldnt care less what they get upto. Though wearing the Guru's amritdhari bana and then partaking in punjabi cultural dance like bhangra I think is giving wrong impression of the amritdhari's, that Sikhi is all fun and jokes.

3H0 Sikhs havent suffered hardships and brutal strifes and persecution that Asian/Indian/Punjabi Sikhs have throughout our history we can relate to what it means to having to fight for our faith, they dont yet. Thats why their so liberal and dont have many boundaries, they think its narrow mindedness on such issues but I would say they can do bhangra aslong as they dont wear the guru's bana and make it look like a joke. The women in particular if they want to do bhangra they should wear a chuni not a dastaar, women are supposed to be more self restrained and more respectful. I used to look upto 3HO/kundalini yoga type Sikhs as practising Sikhism in a more simple and pure way, but these kinda activities just shows the gradually decline in standards...

I come from Punjabi Sikh background and I'm pretty sure that the 3HO crew would have a better understanding about strife and hardship than many in my family including myself. Not every sikh is clued on about such issues and I think the 3HO guys are doing a better job than most of us, who'd rather argue about minute issues instead of workin on Ekta and teaching our youths etc.

Some people actually get INSPIRED by sikhs doing bhangra cos they realise that sikhi isnt as fundamental as a lot of u make out- that even though we lead disciplined lives; we still do a lot of ordinary things (as long as it doesnt clash with sikhi - which none of you have been able to prove here).

As long as the lyrics are clean, what the heck is wrong with bhangra? You guys are just clinging on to the negative issues related to the dance - not looking outside the box...

Also, just cos they wear their sikhi saroops, doesnt mean they are saying that bhangra is a SIKH practice.

another point, women are equal to men (esp. in sikhi) so either BOTH men and women take off their dastaars (which I wouldnt be prepared to do) or neither.

There are so many more issues within the panth which need our attention and you guys are goin off on one over dancing? How about tryin to do parchar against the negative lyrics within bhangra songs and disgusting videos? I'd rather see clean dancing like in the video than Jazzy B playing Rambo!!??

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put it down to secterianism. Different sects within Sikhism have different ways of doing things, as long as they dont bring fundamental messages or scriptures of sikhism into disrepute i couldnt care less what they get upto. Though wearing the Guru's amritdhari bana and then partaking in punjabi cultural dance like bhangra I think is giving wrong impression of the amritdhari's, that Sikhi is all fun and jokes.

3H0 Sikhs havent suffered hardships and brutal strifes and persecution that Asian/Indian/Punjabi Sikhs have throughout our history we can relate to what it means to having to fight for our faith, they dont yet. Thats why their so liberal and dont have many boundaries, they think its narrow mindedness on such issues but I would say they can do bhangra aslong as they dont wear the guru's bana and make it look like a joke. The women in particular if they want to do bhangra they should wear a chuni not a dastaar, women are supposed to be more self restrained and more respectful. I used to look upto 3HO/kundalini yoga type Sikhs as practising Sikhism in a more simple and pure way, but these kinda activities just shows the gradually decline in standards...

I come from Punjabi Sikh background and I'm pretty sure that the 3HO crew would have a better understanding about strife and hardship than many in my family including myself. Not every sikh is clued on about such issues and I think the 3HO guys are doing a better job than most of us, who'd rather argue about minute issues instead of workin on Ekta and teaching our youths etc.

Some people actually get INSPIRED by sikhs doing bhangra cos they realise that sikhi isnt as fundamental as a lot of u make out- that even though we lead disciplined lives; we still do a lot of ordinary things (as long as it doesnt clash with sikhi - which none of you have been able to prove here).

As long as the lyrics are clean, what the heck is wrong with bhangra? You guys are just clinging on to the negative issues related to the dance - not looking outside the box...

Also, just cos they wear their sikhi saroops, doesnt mean they are saying that bhangra is a SIKH practice.

another point, women are equal to men (esp. in sikhi) so either BOTH men and women take off their dastaars (which I wouldnt be prepared to do) or neither.

There are so many more issues within the panth which need our attention and you guys are goin off on one over dancing? How about tryin to do parchar against the negative lyrics within bhangra songs and disgusting videos? I'd rather see clean dancing like in the video than Jazzy B playing Rambo!!??

Thing is i admire converts to Sikhism from 3H0 because they know more about the faith than i do, but when they get into punjabi cultural things like bhangra and mix it with sikhism then thats when i start wonder what are they on?

When you look at the video you see the women shaking their bum side to side in a provocative manor, even though they might not intend to to be precieved like that... it does look that way because if you see countless bollywood video's the women always shaking their bums to attract the males. This kind of behaviour for amritdhari women is unacceptable in my eyes, you get a wrong impression of so called religious Sikh women. You already have many youtube video's of people making disrespectful comments about muslim hijabi women who are shaking their bums side to side while a guy on mic is yelling "allah, allah, yallah" it gives a very negative portrayal of muslim hijabi/niqabi women, makes them look like sex objects. Example... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9BRZ5_xVg8

Interesting...how the human mind thinks

I bet the people complaining do far worse than 3ho bhagra peeps are doin? but they wont reveal their shortcomings because then they cant run their mouthes about everyone else as usual? Everyone from every walk of life could have someone nit pick everything that everyone does and it will never end because we all are "correct in everyway" So if they dance you.........?