Guest concerned

Guest H Singh

Well I just want to add my example. I am in IT and work for a reputed bank in UK. When I was looking for job I was told by many to tie darra, but I did not. I had stopped tying darra about 5 years back. I don't even tie normal formal "Pugg". I tie dummala. I appeared for the interview and tried my best. Even though my skills did not match exactly with what was required (and I told this honestly in interview) I was given the permanent job with decent salary and was provided training. I am doing fine. I attend meetings and interact with other professionals everyday. I am the only one in the entire office of about 2-3 thousand people. I sure get stares, but I dont care. I know my priorities. I want to say here that all this was possible due to Guru Sahib's kirpa and not my own effort. So I suggest you do your best , do ardaas and don't worry about darra.

Keeping kes is among the easiest of things in Sikhi.

when it comes to work goora aint gona care if u got a long dhari or tied up neat short one, the problem for them is u got a dhari u can cut it, u can shave it then they dont want u to have a paag u can wear a bandana patka, they dont want that u can cut ur hair be a moneh, then they got a prob with ur kara, u take that off.

Then they got trouble with ur skin colour. So dude dont listen to anyone else listen to ur Guru within, if you have pyare and satkar for guru maharaj kesh then keep it in true love for Guru Sahib with that rehat. If your kesh are in danger with your work such as building then tie it away from that. The people with the biggest problem with dharis

is just our own Sikh people, in Punjab people pull each others jhoora/gutti cos its big or we cuss each others paaga/dastar/paghri/turbans. Do what you gotta do for yourself if you have that dedication, faith and sharda for satguru then keep dhara prakash. End of the day this body is a shell, what is within the shell the atma is the real us

dont let maya confuse you, we keep this shell in such a way for satkar (utter true respect) of our satguru. If you dont feel the sikhi then why live hypocrisy, try and discover it. Your parents cant tell you what to do, they can advise you. But you can never make the world happy, and if you listen to people around you they will drive you crazy, because

jinha mou, anionha gaala ( the more mouths, the more that is said). Most people will probably have a go at you for kesh when they don't understand the pyare with satguru themselves, its your spirtual journey you are the sant sipha not the people. The whole essence of a job interview is they get to know you, if you have pride for who you are, respect, dedication

and are a true Sikh, the job will come to you easily, gursikhs have had great personalities since the British, Mughals and everyone else have known the Sikhs. If a work feels more at ease with your beard tied, you should not work for them they have a problem with you like that hence a problem with themselves and they will give you hassle.

My opinion is Wash, condition, oil, comb, brush and maintain your dhara dont make it look like a random homeless dudes keep it like a Kings beard, the royal look works better, then a bunch of superglue on ur face and If you like dhari screwed up and stuck to your face to look like its cut or maintained then go for it.

Guest iknowbut...

i have a slightly different issue. i've got 'male pattern boldness' so patches on my face where kesh don't grow, on the sides it's very thin. i have a patch in the middle under my chin, where all kesh remain short. i have long kesh to each side which are mainly over 11 inches, some go over 15.

and my dhari's really thin anyway, then the slightest bit of wind, or even when i move my head to side quickly it kind of parts and flies about. flies into my face a lot, and call it being self conscious but it looks weird, especially having hardly any on cheeks and really long otherwise. and you can basically see straight through it.

i try and keep it untied, but going to football or to work i tie a string round my head, do a jhoori of my dhari and tuck it under so it goes to 3/4 inches. sometimes if i go somewhere i have to keep a scarf or jacket on all the time when it's untied, but i couldn't do that playing football. i know i should just try and get on and leave it, i've tried to get treatment for the condition, but it hasnt realy worked, one option is to have a hair implant, but it's too expensive and weird lol. so i dont know...

thanks for anything you throw at me.

J

• 1 year later...

Waheguru Waheguru.

Guru Ji said.

ll Jaako Mushkal Att Banai, Dhoee Koe Naa De.

Laagoo Hoe Dushmana, Ssath Bhi Bhaj Khale.

Sabbo Bhajjai Aasraa, Chookai Sab Asraao.

Chit Aave Oss Paarbrham, Lagai Naa Tattee Waao ll

no matter what your family says or freinds. dont listen to them.

if you are amritdhari then you have only 1 freind and family. that is Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib Ji.

Guru Ji will Stand with you all the time. jus trust on Guru ji. He is sooooo much powerful then you can think

Waheguru Jio

A beard doesn't make you who you are, gurbani says you can grow your hair or shave it bald- it is what is INSIDE that counts.

As true students we re to efface all aspects of the self and live in truth. Effacing all aspects means outer image aswell, including kirpan, turban, beard, skin, eyes, nose, mouth, hair etc.

When the True Death Of Self Occurs, only then does Truth resonate.

Guest Share a like

There r sum really good points on here that i not thought about so thanks . Like it true that your joora is tied so y it so bad to do same belo chin ! But i did want to say that IT i s different . Not to offend but IT is mostly behind a computer or in a server room where no one can c u having worked in it i know for sure they don't care wot you look like M? One turned up at interview lookin like he out the matrix with full leather they still gave the job! When you are customer facing most o time then they make sure on How you look. :-)

A beard doesn't make you who you are, gurbani says you can grow your hair or shave it bald- it is what is INSIDE that counts.

A beard does stand for alot in Sikhi. Satguru gave us the order to keep the hair uncut and if you cut this bread or try to hide it, then it shows what the person is from the INSIDE. Also the pankti you are refering to needs to be understood in context. You completely missed the mark on this pankti.

As true students we re to efface all aspects of the self and live in truth. Effacing all aspects means outer image aswell, including kirpan, turban, beard, skin, eyes, nose, mouth, hair etc.

In your opinion this may be true, but Satguru says to keep kirpan, kanga, kachera, kara, kes as your ang. As a Khalsa without these is not a Khalsa at all. Khalsa meaning purity and purity and truth going hand in hand, meaning that there is no truth to your opinion. To a regular person like yourself the 5 kakkar are just an image, but to the Khalsa they mean the world and the Khalsa has given shaheedi for these 5 kakkars; especially for hair.

When the True Death Of Self Occurs, only then does Truth resonate.

Tru death occurs when a person submits to the hukam of Satguru. This includes submiting to the hukam of taking Amrit from the Punj Pyare and follow rehat, of the 5 Kakkar. There are other hukams we have to submit to as well.

tying dhaara wont make u less sikh .. as long as u dint cut its ok,,, rest ardas will do its work ... guru pratakh he.. waheguru ji ka khalsa ,, waheguru jiki fateh

There is some people out there that tie there beard up because they feel ashamed of it at certain events. This clearly shows a sign of denying Satguru's gift of one of the punj kakkar. One of these event would be a reception or like social events. Then you have the ones that tie the beard all day everyday because they feel a open beard makes a man looks unprofessional. Again they deny the gift of satguru and are lost in maya; pleasing the world.

Then you have the Gursikhs that work in conditions where the beard can get caught in a machine or some beadbi can take place by mistake. So they take the precaution from this beadbi from taking place and tie it up. But as soon as they are done this kind of activity they open the beard and don't feel ashamed of it or don't believe it is unprofessional.

The reason why you tie it for a period of time is important here, and many today tie it because they are caught up in maya.