Sikh Student Camp Should B Stoppd

frontline

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fateh Ji

I dont think the organisers are totally at fault as they choose the talkers they think are decent but their views can be weird once they are at the camp.

As for the talkers bhai butta singh from bham did a talk there and we all know he is a panthic singh who does great seva, as for the other talkers we all know that the american sikhs have their weird but sometimes fresh ideology.

As for the sevadars who cut their kesh, i have personally seen litterally 10-100 people from soho road gurdwara mainly bibiya who pluck and bleach their kesh after taken amrit why do we not bring up their issues????

Fateh Ji

I dont think the organisers are totally at fault as they choose the talkers they think are decent but their views can be weird once they are at the camp.

As for the talkers bhai butta singh from bham did a talk there and we all know he is a panthic singh who does great seva, as for the other talkers we all know that the american sikhs have their weird but sometimes fresh ideology.

As for the sevadars who cut their kesh, i have personally seen litterally 10-100 people from soho road gurdwara mainly bibiya who pluck and bleach their kesh after taken amrit why do we not bring up their issues????

AGREE........

wasnt that article dated 2006?!

anyway from what ive heard the camps are quite good and informative these days i.e. BOSS camp seems to get a decent amount of people every year and vary the activities quite nicely!

i dont know about sikh student camp though, my cousins told me that its dodgy unless im getting it confused with other camps :-s

im getting a mixed vibe here, is it NOT ok for a sevadar who cuts their kesh to do seva?!

im getting a mixed vibe here, is it NOT ok for a sevadar who cuts their kesh to do seva?!

Its not so much is it ok, its more to do with the satkar/respect a sevadar must show. For example, A policeman cannot do his job properly with out their uniform or having proper training. Similar, the sevadar should be at least be Keshdhari/Sehajdhari and keep the minimum rehat, even if they are not Amritdhari.

Without sounding too blunt, the individual has to show commitment and dedication to their Rehat before taking on seva of Guru Granth Sahib Ji, i.e at least Sahabt Soorat. You cant have Maharajs Saroop on your head, if your just going to keep on cutting your kesh. King of Kings, Guru Granth Sahib Ji, while Prakash or Sukhasan is taking place, is resting on your kesh, i personally feel that it would be disrespectful to have Maharaj resting on kesh that have been cut/trimmed.

Don't mean to sound rude or anything, just my personal opinion, not forcing anything on anyone! :)

Its not so much is it ok, its more to do with the satkar/respect a sevadar must show. For example, A policeman cannot do his job properly with out their uniform or having proper training. Similar, the sevadar should be at least be Keshdhari/Sehajdhari and keep the minimum rehat, even if they are not Amritdhari.

Without sounding too blunt, the individual has to show commitment and dedication to their Rehat before taking on seva of Guru Granth Sahib Ji, i.e at least Sahabt Soorat. You cant have Maharajs Saroop on your head, if your just going to keep on cutting your kesh. King of Kings, Guru Granth Sahib Ji, while Prakash or Sukhasan is taking place, is resting on your kesh, i personally feel that it would be disrespectful to have Maharaj resting on kesh that have been cut/trimmed.

Don't mean to sound rude or anything, just my personal opinion, not forcing anything on anyone! :)

not necessarily....

jIAhu mYly bwhrhu inrml ]

jeeahu mailae baaharahu niramal ||

Inwardly polluted, and outwardly pure.

bwhrhu inrml jIAhu q mYly iqnI jnmu jUAY hwirAw ]

baaharahu niramal jeeahu th mailae thinee janam jooai haariaa ||

Those who are outwardly pure and yet polluted within, lose their lives in the gamble.

eyh iqsnw vfw rogu lgw mrxu mnhu ivswirAw ]

eaeh thisanaa vaddaa rog lagaa maran manahu visaariaa ||

They contract this terrible disease of desire, and in their minds, they forget about dying.

vydw mih nwmu auqmu so suxih nwhI iPrih ijau byqwilAw ]

vaedhaa mehi naam outham so sunehi naahee firehi jio baethaaliaa ||

In the Vedas, the ultimate objective is the Naam, the Name of the Lord; but they do not hear this, and they wander around like demons.

khY nwnku ijn scu qijAw kUVy lwgy iqnI jnmu jUAY hwirAw ]19]

kehai naanak jin sach thajiaa koorrae laagae thinee janam jooai haariaa ||19||

Says Nanak, those who forsake Truth and cling to falsehood, lose their lives in the gamble. ||19||

It easy to show the world how "good" you are..............but to Live in Maharaj's hukam.............well i guess most of us fall short there.............whatever happend seeing waheguru in all...............sehajdhari/amritdhari labels not match up the basic level of rehit.............actions have good or bad consequeces..........we get so caught up in the person commiting the sin that we forget the sin itself will create a karam that needs to be repaid................all those out there thinking that bcos u have taken amrit somehow makes you any LESS immune to these consquences are very sadly mistaken..........

again nothing personal here just my two cents worth...... :)

not necessarily....

jIAhu mYly bwhrhu inrml ]

jeeahu mailae baaharahu niramal ||

Inwardly polluted, and outwardly pure.

bwhrhu inrml jIAhu q mYly iqnI jnmu jUAY hwirAw ]

baaharahu niramal jeeahu th mailae thinee janam jooai haariaa ||

Those who are outwardly pure and yet polluted within, lose their lives in the gamble.

eyh iqsnw vfw rogu lgw mrxu mnhu ivswirAw ]

eaeh thisanaa vaddaa rog lagaa maran manahu visaariaa ||

They contract this terrible disease of desire, and in their minds, they forget about dying.

vydw mih nwmu auqmu so suxih nwhI iPrih ijau byqwilAw ]

vaedhaa mehi naam outham so sunehi naahee firehi jio baethaaliaa ||

In the Vedas, the ultimate objective is the Naam, the Name of the Lord; but they do not hear this, and they wander around like demons.

khY nwnku ijn scu qijAw kUVy lwgy iqnI jnmu jUAY hwirAw ]19]

kehai naanak jin sach thajiaa koorrae laagae thinee janam jooai haariaa ||19||

Says Nanak, those who forsake Truth and cling to falsehood, lose their lives in the gamble. ||19||

It easy to show the world how "good" you are..............but to Live in Maharaj's hukam.............well i guess most of us fall short there.............whatever happend seeing waheguru in all...............sehajdhari/amritdhari labels not match up the basic level of rehit.............actions have good or bad consequeces..........we get so caught up in the person commiting the sin that we forget the sin itself will create a karam that needs to be repaid................all those out there thinking that bcos u have taken amrit somehow makes you any LESS immune to these consquences are very sadly mistaken..........

again nothing personal here just my two cents worth...... :)

Of course, being Amritdhari doesnt make you less immune, and yes its easy to show the world how 'good' you are, but allowing a Sevadar who cuts their Kesh, but yet performs Seva of Maharaj, doesnt give a good impression either way. Sikhi doesn't come cheap.. you need to sacrifice something in order to be able to serve your Guru. Seva can only be blessed, not taken. Not implying that all sehajdhari/sabat soorat/amritdharis who do Maharaj's seva are pure inwards, but some have given up something, whether thats stop cutting their Kesh, in order to be blessed with that Seva. That was the point i was trying to get across!

Of course, being Amritdhari doesnt make you less immune, and yes its easy to show the world how 'good' you are, but allowing a Sevadar who cuts their Kesh, but yet performs Seva of Maharaj, doesnt give a good impression either way.

Everyones journey begins somewhere...........seva is not somthing that is reserved just for someone who keeps kes.........again pahji like you sed it is blessed from Maharaj, and if there are Moneh sewadars can that not be some amazing kirpa from Maharaj to bring non- sehaj/amrit dharis onto the sikhi path?...........untimatly......sewa requires pyaar and dedication, and again sorry to sound blunt and this is just my opinion but your physical roop does not intesify this pyaar..........because pyaar comes from within.........without that, outer body is nothing more than a shell.........we seem to be loosing site of this.............

did every sikh that came to Guru Ji in puratan samma come with kes/dastar?............no

did Guru Ji turn them away?................no..........................

did guru always show love to them regardless..............yes...........

could this be the reason that so many people after having darshaan of Guru Ji and became embrace in His pyaar, walked the sikh path there after....................? maybe............i do know but i know that i how would like to have been treated

Sikhi doesn't come cheap.. you need to sacrifice something in order to be able to serve your Guru. Seva can only be blessed, not taken. Not implying that all sehajdhari/sabat soorat/amritdharis who do Maharaj's seva are pure inwards, but some have given up something, whether thats stop cutting their Kesh, in order to be blessed with that Seva. That was the point i was trying to get across!

I agree but dont you think its more inportant to get the basics of sacrifice right? which begins with your mind, body and soul? everyones journey to waheguru is different...............some will keep kes all their life and have no understanding that it is a gift from God.................some people will be crack smoking gagster wannabes but waheguru does kirpa on both..........i guess what im trying to say is............if the inside is pure....if the soul is touch by waheguru and develops pyaar for waheguru........sewa will always be blessed upon REGARDLESS of whether there is a dastaar on the head of that person or a hanky...............

everyone has to start somewhere and who are we to put rules and restrictions around wahegurus work? but where errors are being made its up to us as brothers and sisters to aid and assist each other with PYAAR and SHARDA...........the basics of any sewa which i fear are being lost amongst labels such as amritdhari/sehajdaris/moneh etc...............

eyku ipqw eyks ky hm bwirk qU myrw gur hweI ]

eaek pithaa eaekas kae ham baarik thoo maeraa gur haaee ||

The One God is our father; we are the children of the One God. You are our Guru.

:)