Inappropriate Vaja Tunes

Akaali

A tune is a tune at the end of the day, It's the words that really matter. I personally think aslong as your singing the words from the bottom of your heart, isn't that all that matters? aslong as the words being sung can be made out/ or are understandable. And yea, it's always good to learn raag !! but hmm...don't think there such a thing as 'inappropriate' tunes for kirtan.. hmmm :gg:

Wahegurooo*

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ghorandhar jeeo,

I agree with everything you've said, one thing I wanted to add is that the way raags in general are sung have changed/developed since the times of guru sahibaans, even in Indian shastari sangeet the raag system has changed/developed, the elitist don't like the infiltration of the vaja by the british in their sangeet either because the original way was through tanti saaz, and nowadays shastri sangeet in India is not very common per the masses, and its no different in Sikhi today either.

But going back to the development of the raag system, same way with raags in SGGSJ the way of singing them in their specified raag has been slightly modified because the parampara has not been documented in writing, at the same time it can't really be put on paper as its music, and must be taught/passed down from generation to generation, similar to seena baseena rehat that has been passed down like it was to Bhai Avtaar Singh jee, who was born in 1925 where his father, Bhai Sahib Jwala Singh Ji was an accomplished Ragi, who imparted his knowledge of Gurmat Sangeet to Bhai Sahib Avtar Singh Ji and his older brother Bhai Sahib Gurcharan Singh Ji, who together were the eleventh generation exponents of gurbani keertan as per maryada from the time of our guru sahibaans.

So going back to the topic, I've seen there are two points of discussions, some feel as though its not important to sing in raag because you should connect with the bani being sung in keertan, and some would argue that saying, the correct way of connecting to gurbani in keertan should be through the correct way of singing the shabad.

Lets look at it this way, why is there a need to do santhya? To learn the correct way of pronouncing gurbani and understanding where to pause and where not to pause, which is the primary reason many mispronounce gurbani, the same goes for singing keertan, there's a a correct way of performing keertan, I don't always do keertan in raag or nidharat raag for that matter, but I've been told that there's a raag for almost every tune. The point is, if there's a correct way of reciting gurbani, there has to be a correct way of singing keertan. Today, we pick and choose what we want to beleive maybe that's where the problem is.

hit the nail on the head

ghorandhar jeeo,

I agree with everything you've said, one thing I wanted to add is that the way raags in general are sung have changed/developed since the times of guru sahibaans, even in Indian shastari sangeet the raag system has changed/developed, the elitist don't like the infiltration of the vaja by the british in their sangeet either because the original way was through tanti saaz, and nowadays shastri sangeet in India is not very common per the masses, and its no different in Sikhi today either.

But going back to the development of the raag system, same way with raags in SGGSJ the way of singing them in their specified raag has been slightly modified because the parampara has not been documented in writing, at the same time it can't really be put on paper as its music, and must be taught/passed down from generation to generation, similar to seena baseena rehat that has been passed down like it was to Bhai Avtaar Singh jee, who was born in 1925 where his father, Bhai Sahib Jwala Singh Ji was an accomplished Ragi, who imparted his knowledge of Gurmat Sangeet to Bhai Sahib Avtar Singh Ji and his older brother Bhai Sahib Gurcharan Singh Ji, who together were the eleventh generation exponents of gurbani keertan as per maryada from the time of our guru sahibaans.

So going back to the topic, I've seen there are two points of discussions, some feel as though its not important to sing in raag because you should connect with the bani being sung in keertan, and some would argue that saying, the correct way of connecting to gurbani in keertan should be through the correct way of singing the shabad.

Lets look at it this way, why is there a need to do santhya? To learn the correct way of pronouncing gurbani and understanding where to pause and where not to pause, which is the primary reason many mispronounce gurbani, the same goes for singing keertan, there's a a correct way of performing keertan, I don't always do keertan in raag or nidharat raag for that matter, but I've been told that there's a raag for almost every tune. The point is, if there's a correct way of reciting gurbani, there has to be a correct way of singing keertan. Today, we pick and choose what we want to beleive maybe that's where the problem is.

u summed it up perfectly bhaji :) vahiguroo.....