Manmat

Khalsa4ever

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

If that is manmat, then so is everything we do! I wear a kirpan... and since that is a symbol, it might be considered ritual, manmat...

I suppose we can put it this way, that if we know a reason for why we do something, then it is not manmat, but otherwise it is.

(kinda ironic, cause the man part implies "of the mind"... yet it is when we do something that we don't know it becomes manmat... but at the same time doing something purely for ego "of the mind" is also manmat!!!)

ahhgh!

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

If that is manmat, then so is everything we do! I wear a kirpan... and since that is a symbol, it might be considered ritual, manmat...

I suppose we can put it this way, that if we know a reason for why we do something, then it is not manmat, but otherwise it is.

(kinda ironic, cause the man part implies "of the mind"... yet it is when we do something that we don't know it becomes manmat... but at the same time doing something purely for ego "of the mind" is also manmat!!!)

ahhgh!

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

nahh, seee the point that JSS made is like so, and goes hand in hand why i don't think decorating guru sahib is manmat:

your kirpaan is not manmat, it has a use. Yes it CAN be a symbol, but it's useful...many symbols in today's world are not useful, but your kirpaan is, you never know when you're going to need it, thus wearing your kirpaan is not manmat.

Not to mention that Guru Sahib said to wear it, and so right there, it's gurmat.

And in ag

reeance with JSS and akjforever:

SGGS is your guide, and to parallel it with the reasoning i stated above... it is useful. it's not just a symbol of exaltation and salvation, it's the true path to GET there, so for that reason, if someone feels that decorating and keeping it clean and making it look very pretty is out of their own love, then what can possibly be manmat about that?

I am not saying that we should not dress up the babajee room with expensive things and so on. You do as you wish, nothing wrong with that. But simply doing stuff on the outside is not enough. You have to worship what is on the inside as well. Case in point wearing the 5 k's. Simply wearing the 5 ks on the outside does not make one a Sikh, you have to be a Sikh on the inside as well. You have to Paat and Naam Simran and plant the Seed of Sikhi on the inside. Does that mean that we don't need the 5 ks? Heck no. They are essential. It is the combination of outside Rehat AND inside Rehat that makes us a Sikh. Having only one is not enough. Same goes for Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and care and respect we give it.

In regard to keeping Guru Ji's pothees and Gutkas from touching the ground is simple. Gurbani is our Guru, the Guru never sits on the floor but above. They always have to be higher than us, this has been going on since Guru Sabhaans times. So it is the utmost respect for them to be above our level.

Just my 2 cents.

Bul Chuk Dee Khima

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

• 2 weeks later...
The problem is that everyone wants to dress yup the babajee room with most expensive stuff, everyone worships what is the actual physical saroop of the Siri Guru Granth Sahib.  Very few people actually worship what is the actual message written on the inside.  When we start worshipping what's on the inside then everything becomes worthwhile.

Just my 2 cents.

Good point veer ji

Which leads me to another question: Why are we so upset if we put bani on the floor? For example, if we put a gutka, pothee, etc. on our lap and it falls onto the floor, it is a big deal, as we are always told to never let it hit the ground. However, this must be because we value the physical essence of it, not the writing inside. After all, by putting it on the floor, the message is not hurt, the bani is left the same, it is just the "physical entity" that is disrespected. Why?

By the way, to clarify, if you're going to respond saying that we must respect it, I understand we must respect the actual thoughts/messages of bani, but why the physical entity of a gutka?

I hope that question made sen

se... blush.gif

Well if you put the Pothi or gutka in your lap then its very wrong... Its got nothing to with manmat.. Its simply respect... so don't say "if WE put gutka in our laps" that doesn't include people like me... We are trying to learn wats written inside the Guru Granth Sahib. You are just assuming that its the physical form people respect .. not the actual teachings inside it.. I think by saying that you are judging a lot people of their respect towards gurbani. I can't believe you would actually say "After all, by putting it on the floor, the message is not hurt, the bani is left the same, it is just the "physical entity" that is disrespected. Why?"

because we consider it part of our Guroo Sahib thats why! So let me get this straight it bothers you that most people show their respect to gutkay by keeping it at a higher place? You heard of DIRT on the floor? or how about the STINKY FEET? does that still considered respect wen you put a gutka on the floor?