• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mehtab

Satpreet Posted on Apr 16 2004, 04:36 AM

:umm:

Here's my points on this manmat thread:

1. i am not even 1% gursikh probably cuz i aint amritdhari, only 1 k, etc

2. i have not read all of SGGS ji so that is why i call myself murakh cuz i don't know what it  says about stuff.

3. manmat=probably everything SGGS ji says NOT to do

4. gurmat=everything SGGS ji says we MUST do which is basically WAHEGUROO da naam japna from what i know (plz someone correct me if i'm wrong)

5. although this is a sikh sangat we end up doin nindiya of some ppls here so THIS is MANMAT too probably

6. doesn't gurbani say something about don't attach urself to mother, father, bro, sis, friends...all these ppl can not help you to achieve oneness with god? aren't we attached to all these relations? so this must be manmat too.

7. A LOT of things we do in our daily life is manmat probably......its kinda like god, its everywhere

8. maybe posting on this forum is manmat?

9. maybe this thread is also manmat?

10. maybe whole concept of god is manmat?

Look ppl.....TAKE A CHILL PILL :(

ps- maybe having fun at sikhsangat forum is manmat too rolleyes.gif

satpreet makes perfect sense...nyaaneyaan de we damaag chal paye tongue.gif ...joke tongue.gif

oops...i juz appreciated her ohmy.gif ...MANMAT :wub:

:D

The problem is that everyone wants to dress yup the babajee room with most expensive stuff, everyone worships what is the actual physical saroop of the Siri Guru Granth Sahib.  Very few people actually worship what is the actual message written on the inside.  When we start worshipping what's on the inside then everything becomes worthwhile.

Just my 2 cents.

Good point veer ji

Which leads me to another question: Why are we so upset if we put bani on the floor? For example, if we put a gutka, pothee, etc. on our lap and it falls onto the floor, it is a big deal, as we are always told to never let it hit the ground. However, this must be because we value the physical essence of it, not the writing inside. After all, by putting it on the floor, the message is not hurt, the bani is left the same, it is just the "physical entity" that is disrespected. Why?

By the way, to clarify, if you're going to respond saying that we must respect it, I understand we must respect the actual thoughts/messages of bani, but why the physical entity of a gutka?

I hope that question made sense... blush.gif

The problem is that everyone wants to dress yup the babajee room with most expensive stuff, everyone worships what is the actual physical saroop of the Siri Guru Granth Sahib.  Very few people actually worship what is the actual message written on the inside.  When we start worshipping what's on the inside then everything becomes worthwhile.

Just my 2 cents.

Good point veer ji

Which leads me to another question: Why are we so upset if we put bani on the floor? For example, if we put a gutka, pothee, etc. on our lap and it falls onto the floor, it is a big deal, as we are always told to never let it hit the ground. However, this must be because we value the physical essence of it, not the writing inside. After all, by putting it on the floor, the message is not hurt, the bani is left the same, it is just the "physical entity" that is disrespected. Why?

By the way, to clarify, if you're going to respond saying that we must respect it, I understand we must respect the actual thoughts/messages of bani, but why the physical entity of a gutka?

I hope that question made sense...

-emo& blush.gif -->blush.gif

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Japman had his shot, let me have one too.

The thing is that not putting Gurbani on the floor, we are symbolically showing that it is higher than ourselves. Since that is done without selfishness (as you get no benifit from it), that would be gurmat (i think :T: )

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

but by putting it "higher" than ourselves, isn't that ritual?? after all, the baani is already higher than us, we'd just be putting the physical presence higher than us, and that would be ritual.....which is manmat, right....?

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

:umm: :T: ohmy.gif

Man, now I'm starting to get confused here!

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

to japmans veerji and everyone else who thinks it is manmat to dress guru ji with beautiful ramallas and put guru ji higher than us....

guru ji is our GUIDE to the lord....if it weren't for guruji , we'd be lost....Guru ji is the teacher that is going to take us out of the dark illlusive maya and usher us into the spiritual realm...."chauthay padh".....

it is all out of appreciation that these so-called rituals are performed...

does guru ji care about nice ramallas?...my guess is no...is it manmat...my guess is no!

akj4ever veerji touched on a really good point...he said it's important taht we don't just pay respect to the physical saroop but actually read gurbani and pay respect to shabad guru by doing what is said in hukam....

i just want to add, however, that if you someone really does respect gurbani...has real love for guruji and sharda....that will be physically manifested in every single action that person takes.....and i can bet you a million dollars that person will go out of his/her way to make baba ji's room the most beautiful room in the house....

on an end note....

In Prof. Puran Singh's book, Spirit Born People, he says a beautiful statement....

Paraphrasing:

Symbolism without feeling is a dead ritual....BUT where there is feeling, the symbolism will most definately be present....for one who claims to have feeling will wear the symbols of his beloved... (he's talking about amrit and kakkars but its not a stretch to apply it in this case)

Prof. Puran Singh also used to say quite often....

if you are looking for the nishani of a gurmukh....if you're looking for someone who'

;s understood the hukam of guru granth sahib...someone who's got the right idea....just go to their house...and if baba ji's room is the most beautiful room in the house...if baba ji's room is the most central room in the house....if baba ji's room is the most used room in the house....

then that person's got the right idea....

peace