1984 Either We Write Our Story Or The Indian Govt Does!

AK-47

If you go to any library or bookshop and have a look at the number of books available on political islam, christianity, judaism etc you will find often hundreds! dealing with a massive range of issues!

Look for sikhi books ... and you'll find 3 if your lucky and these will all be anti-sikhi written by kps gill or some other <banned word filter activated>.

There ARE some good sikh books which deal with 1984 but the problem is we are too lazy to read them, or toooo cheap to buy them! If we dont support the authors and researchers that write these books then we cant complain that all the stuff around is insulting sant jarnail singh ji and the shaheed singhs.

One book a friend saw recently talked about how sant jarnail singh ji kept women captive in rooms around darbar sahib and that these were raped by the singhs there. :@

If someone spends months, maybe even years on a book on 1984 and then only 2 are bought, then that person may feel that their efforts were wasted! They may not bother again in the future and we would loose talented people who could contribute a lot to the world through their writings!

Please can we all make an effort to support writers and researchers on 1984 by actually reading and buying their books! Even if we dont read it and it just sits on a bookshelf at home for a few months, a friend or relative might one day pick it up and borrow it! Surely thats better then them picking up the book by general brar on how he attacked darbar sahib!

Books and the written word have been with us for centuries and if we want the future generations to know what happened then WE need to write our own history. If we leave it to the stuff thats already out there then they will have to rely on the indian governments version of events! Books will surive longer then youtube videos will!

So please can we support these authors and actually spend the £10 or $20 and help spread OUR story.

Examples of one of the good books around at the moment is,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Game-Love-Harjinde...3604&sr=8-1

Or maybe we've just lost the ability to read anymore and can only understand things if done with pretty pictures and a good beat copied from some hip hop video or the latest hollywood film!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fatteh

In our hearts we all know what happened in 84, i really couldn't care less about the Indian Government trying to justify what happened. Fact is we should take a leaf out of the Sangat of Derby, they have created a museum on the Sikh Holocaust, showing images, videos. I would rather Sikhs read Bani, the courage of the Shaheeds came from the guidance of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji Maharaj. The government can write what they want, but if we believe in the Bani of Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj then the Raj will become Khalsa.

Bhul Chuk Maafi

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fatteh

You may feel that you know what happened, and thats fine. But there are millions if sikhs never mind non-sikhs who have no idea of what truely happened. A large proportion of our community to date hate sant jarnail singh ji and the singhs because they have believed what the government have taught them. These are the same people that will try and stop any real parchar or efforts to bring the tyrants to justice.

If we look at our history to date from guru nanak dev ji to the current day, we have so many issues and fights over historical issues. One of the reasons being that our history was written by other people and not by our own sikhs. In a hundred years when neither you or I will exisit the future generations were researching on what happened will find the majority of the resources stating that the sikhs were rapists and terrorists. The commonly accepted view will also be the same unless we make the difference now.

If you speak to the people who set up the museum one of their guiding principles has been, 'its our story and we will tell it in our own way'. Im saying we need to follow this line of thought. Unfortunetly we dont seem to support the people who are making an effort to change the way the world thinks. e.g will many sikhs make the effort to visit the museum and pay the entrance fee/donation towards its functioning? Will they visit it again when displays are changed? Without support museums and books etc will not be made/written.

History is vital for a religion and a people to flourish. The shaheed singhs were obviously reading gurbani but they also got their inspiration from characters and events out of sikh history. If you listen to the speeches and katha of sant jarnail singh you will see how often he uses historical figures to inspire the panth. In his programmes there were also always dhadi jathas and kavishars etc singing of the bravery of the older heroes. Unless we support efforts to educate and write our history today, our future generations will have no idea about the individuals who fought today.

The written word can cross all barriers of language as it can be read and translated, uneducated people can listen to others read it to them and it doesnt depend on location or technology. We must get more good quality books written about our own present day history. Books also give additional credability and references which websites often dont have. People generally trust books more!

Im not suggesting for a second thats sikhs should not read gurbani. If you can read gurbani around the clock then fantastic. But for the rest of us who use the internet watch youtube videos etc to learn about 1984 etc could also help promote the truth by assisting the authors and giving respect to their efforts.

i am guilty of the above so i better own up..

i told paji i'd put a review on Amazon and its been a month or two bhull chuk maaf karni..

thanks for waking me up from my sleep - i've done it now!

Sangat Ji please not only BUY this book, but also put a review on Amazon so that others too can learn more about it and get lahaa.

Click Here to visit Amazon and get this beautifully written book to read

Keep up the good work

Very true, no one else is going to narrate the true account of recent history, unless we do it ourselves- and with the 25th anniversary next year, its paramount that we all have at least a basic understanding of 1984 and after.

A Gursikh from the uk stayed with the singhs at darbar sahib just before bluestar. if i remember correctly he wanted to carry on staying there but the singhs said that he had to return home, so he could educate people in the west about what was happening to the Sikhs in India.

Now these Khalsa's have given qurbaania for the panth during the struggle and today we are living out our lives in relative luxury. The very least sewa that we can do for the panth is to educate ourselves about 84 so we can educate our own community and others about what actually occurred.

"Until lions tell their own history, history will allways glorify the hunters"

Just like to add another book to this thread and bring it to the cyber sangat's attention.

It is Stuggle for Justice: Ranbir Singh Sandhu available here or search up the isbn to see if it is cheaper elsewhere...

http://www.amazon.com/Struggle-Justice-Spe...e/dp/0967287413

One of a kind book released quite a few years ago with good deep insight (not too sure if the author has released anymore books after this).

But defo 1 for the collection for those that like reading or for those that choose 2 buy books and let them gather dust.

Will help all those youth of today that don't fully understand Sri Maan Sant Giani Jarnail Singh Bhindrawale dharama yudh speeches in Punjabi.

By the way does any1 here now how the library system in the UK works in respect to the books they stock? Do they stock books which are donated to them also as well as the ones they aquire?

Cause if they do take donations then feel like donating a few books to shed some light on and counter against the K.P.S.Gills BS filled book and others 2 beacuse that is where daas looked when 1st got into Sikhi and didn't know any Singh's to ask about what good read.

By the way does any1 here now how the library system in the UK works in respect to the books they stock? Do they stock books which are donated to them also as well as the ones they aquire?

Cause if they do take donations then feel like donating a few books to shed some light on and counter against the K.P.S.Gills BS filled book and others 2 beacuse that is where daas looked when 1st got into Sikhi and didn't know any Singh's to ask about what good read.

Wjkk Wjkf Ji

As far as Im aware, British Library keeps copies of every book that is published in the UK and Ireland. You can ring the British Library and see what they have to say about this

Fateh ji