Sggs Ji In Libraries

TuhiNirankar

I wanted to notify the sangat that the they should go to their local libraries or even search on the online databases of what they have and sadly they have copies of Siri Guru Granth sahib ji.

In Canada I saw a copy in a library,

I took off my shoes and washed my hands.

I looked at the first ang of SGGS ji and it had water damage and it wasn't taken care of.

This means that any random person who could have just smoked a cigarette can walk into a library with their head uncovered and shoes on, and they can easily access SGGS.

With guru jis kirpa i am going to speak to someone at the main office. The library we contacted with an email did not take any action. They simply said that the library is for everyone and they have a variety of texts and sacred books.

WE HAVE TO TAKE A STAND!

The beadbi of SGGS is happening in our local libraries and we need to do something, petitions, get other people involved, inform people of this situation.

Please sangat ji this is my benti in your charan, The Guru Granth Sahib Ji is our Father, What kind of sikhs are we if we dont even care about SGGS ji.

Please give more suggestions as to what steps we can take to make this change.

"THINK GLOBALLY, ACT LOCALLY"

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA

WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH!!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we state the question constructively to arrive at a positive answer?

ie. How do we appropriately provide access?

Should we provide the libraries with a searchable CD-Rom or interactive DVD?

Should we advise librarians that one can call a number from which we provide assisted access in gurudwaras to visitors who express an interest?

I think we have to be careful with the word "beadbi". Some of us had parents who took us to SGGSji after we were born. Many now do this as a mere ritual and get away with it cause they are entitled cultural sikhs....that i say is beadbi.

There are kids now whose parents may take little interest in gurudwaras, but the kids express an interest but don't know "protocol". There are other extremely inspirational people who come from outside sikhi and carve a far more courageous path to sikhi by climbing a mountain that can be full of cultural landmines we lay. Something to think about when we dictate access to guruji.

u r correct upto an extant.. .but on other hand is it right to wrap SGGS in a silk cloth and make it unreachable for masses(as it is now!!!) and seal its teachings in a Rumala???

Firstly Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is our Guru. Lets not forget Guru Arjan Dev Ji slept on the floor whilst Guru Granth Sahib Ji were placed on a bed. That is the respect we must show.

Unreachable??? I am not sure how unreachable our Guru is. Most people have internet and you can go on there if you really want to learn.

Shelves are for books. Our Guru is not a book.

Every Gurdwara is open for all to come and pay respects to Maharaj. No one is discriminated against.

Parkash of Maharaj is done everyday...The teachings are not concealed in a silk cloth.

I think we are all to used to seeing free bibles and qurans being handed out. We are not going to start standing on streets and hand out copies of Maharaj.

If we really care and think that people are not getting to hear the message of Guru Ji then we should proactively learn and teach others. There are many forms of Parchaar. We as Sikhs must take this responsibilty.

For a Sikh respecting Maharaj is the most important thing. We cannot let this lapse because of our own shortcomings.

Please do not refer to Maharaj as "IT".

It is not the fault of the library so please explain to them. We should all take it upon ourselves to make sure Maharaj is not kept in librarys.

i beg ur pardon if i hurt u...

Our Guru ji is still unreachable to the masses.. ..

how many people have access to net in india??

how many people goin in gurudwara bother to read maharaj???

of the small fraction who read maharaj.. how many understand the meanings??

REason: i wont tell.. elso mods ll kill me.. :)

That comes down to the level of parchar in punjab and doesn't mean there should be a compromise in terms of the respect given to Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

You never hurt me bro/sis.

We cannot let the respect lapse because of a lack of parchaar.

I dont know how many people have internet in india and I havent been to a library in india.

Maharaj should not be on a shelf. What i have seen is Parchaar is lacking again in India. Maybe we should concentrate on that.

How is placing Maharaj in a library gonna help people understand the meanings? Parchaar will help sort this out.

Let me remind you of SOME of the basic problems: in a library people will not have their heads covered, they will not take their shoes off, they will not wash their hands, there is no throne for Maharaj, no bastar......

I wanted to notify the sangat that the they should go to their local libraries or even search on the online databases of what they have and sadly they have copies of Siri Guru Granth sahib ji.

In Canada I saw a copy in a library,

I took off my shoes and washed my hands.

I looked at the first ang of SGGS ji and it had water damage and it wasn't taken care of.

This means that any random person who could have just smoked a cigarette can walk into a library with their head uncovered and shoes on, and they can easily access SGGS.

With guru jis kirpa i am going to speak to someone at the main office. The library we contacted with an email did not take any action. They simply said that the library is for everyone and they have a variety of texts and sacred books.

WE HAVE TO TAKE A STAND!

The beadbi of SGGS is happening in our local libraries and we need to do something, petitions, get other people involved, inform people of this situation.

Please sangat ji this is my benti in your charan, The Guru Granth Sahib Ji is our Father, What kind of sikhs are we if we dont even care about SGGS ji.

Please give more suggestions as to what steps we can take to make this change.

"THINK GLOBALLY, ACT LOCALLY"

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA

WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH!!

It is sad to hear about this. First of all SGGS is not considered as a book, as few of the people might think. It is the only in the world which has Guruship, no other granth has this authority. Other Holy books as Quran, Bible, Ramayan are written by their own Masters, those are written by people who came afterwards, but SGGS is written by Guru Sahibs. What other people do, we do not have to follow.

So, we have to reach the libraries to tell them that SGGS has to be given separate room or so, in which there should be SGGS (might be in different languages), so that who so ever wants to read it, come inside by washing hands, shoes off, cover head and read it. Whats the big deal in that, they have so many rooms alloted for different things, why not for religious study? Or, SGGS come in CD/DVD, people can read from there also. On Internet it is available.

Its not rigidity, some might think. Don't think that if other Holy books are readily available here and there, people have become more religious, NO. Keep aside India, this western world has all the access to technoloigy, has it changed? NO. Christians, Muslims, Hindus and others have the same problem, as we have. People don't have time to read any of the Holy scriptures, otherwise whole world would have been changed.