Should I Wear My Dumalla Shastar At Partys?

wannabe akali

WJKK WJKF

sangat ji, unfortunately, my parents make me go to wedding partys because, they are family n they say if we dont go

to their program then they will not come to ours. Anyway my mum told me today to not wear my dumalla shastar

because its a party with drinking and meat and possible smoking and it would be beadbi to the shastar. i agree with

her but i also have feelings about my shastar, i dont like being told i shouldnt and cant wear them. i like to think that

by wearing my shastar at these places, i am showing what sikhi should look like and not that just because im in a party

im going to take away my shastar. so i dont really know what to do.

take them of for the party

or keep them on.

i will take the most common choice that the sangat says

Its one of those places you shouldnt be going, period. Guru Gobind Singh jee's horse didn't even set foot on a drug/tobacco field, how can his son goto a place where drugs (drinks) are taken openly

i know what you mean bhaji. but u no hw family is. ive had so many fight with my parents and grandparents, i just

cant not go. im only 14, my parents still wanna be my physical god, if u no wat i mean but mark my words, as soon

as i turn 16, i will not go to a party again, hopefully i will be lucky to marry a singhni who feels the same way about

partys and stuff like i do.

thanx bhaji

if u absolutely have to go, keep the shastar, as mention above, gupt. wrap them into your keski or something

over time, our relatives and old family friends who arent yet amritdhari have learnt to accept that we dont go to parties and such, and the respect that. if they are open minded enough, consider talking with them, u, ur parents, and ur relatives

but remember, a singhs greatest weapon is his ardas :)

WJKK WJKF

sangat ji, unfortunately, my parents make me go to wedding partys because, they are family n they say if we dont go

to their program then they will not come to ours. Anyway my mum told me today to not wear my dumalla shastar

because its a party with drinking and meat and possible smoking and it would be beadbi to the shastar. i agree with

her but i also have feelings about my shastar, i dont like being told i shouldnt and cant wear them. i like to think that

by wearing my shastar at these places, i am showing what sikhi should look like and not that just because im in a party

or keep them on.

Veerji

I can understand ur problem. But my sincere advise is, not to be so rigid that it hinders or creates friction in family. One has to wear the according to situation. If you r Amritdhari, your parents are not saying to lay off ur kakkars, which shouldn't be done at all, but regarding Dumalla or Turban, one can change the style. There is no such compulsion that one has to wear only Dumalla wit or without shastars.

- If u r going to Gurudwara Sahib, Kirtan Samagam, ur Gursikh friends, then have Dumalla

- If u r going to Office, if Dumalla is ok, tie it, or have other type of Turban

- If you go to play any kind of sports, you wear the kind of uniform you should be, even patka/keski can also be tied

- If u r going to Fitness centre/Gym, u wear attire accordingly

that doesn't means you are doing something against sikhi. Don't compromise on Kakkars but Turban can have any style. Sikhi is not rigid, act according to situation without compromising on Gursikhi values.

Hope this helps.

Rab Rakha

WJKK WJKF

or keep them on.

what a wimp why dont u stand up 2 ur family and dnt go!!!!u shidnt be in such places!disgraceful. i never go to wedding partys tell my family why and if they have a prob its up 2 them im not bothered

WJKK WJKF

or keep them on.

what a wimp why dont u stand up 2 ur family and dnt go!!!!u shidnt be in such places!disgraceful. i never go to wedding partys tell my family why and if they have a prob its up 2 them im not bothered

bhaj, please dont call me a wimp because im not. i asked the sangat this question for a reason. anyway, i cnt help going.

its like saying that ur a wimp if you cant stop your parents from drinking or something. but i agree with you when you say

i should stand up to them. but whenever i do, i get into ferocious fights, and everyone gets very stressed, including my

mom, who doesnt need that kind of stress, she has had a nervous breakdown before, due to me standing up to them.

id rather not let it happen again

thanx for the comment tho bhaj.

I can't believe you said that Singh. Here's our younger brother asking for help and advice and you come out with that?

Veer Ji, if you are being "forced" to go, go how you are comfortable. Whether that is with or without Shastar. If I say do wear them others will say "You should respect your parent's wishes", if I say don't wear them, others will say "A Singh takes off his Shasters for NO ONE!! etc etc" Keeping them gupt sounds like a good idea though.