Destiny

Sikh Steel

I have always been confused as to what sikhi teaches us about what is and what isnt written for each person. I know that birth, death and marriage are all written before we are even born but is there anything else in out lives which has already pre-destined to happen and for which we do not have control over? For example jobs, how much money we will have in this life etc. Is it already written how much naam simran/bani we will do in this life or do we control this? For someone who commits suicide-is that also written to happen?

Would appreciate anyone who could share their knowledge on this

Fathe

Fateh Ji.

God can change anything which is written. Let me give you a sakhi

There were two friends who had grown together since childhood. One of the friends was always getting into trouble and the other one was as good as can be. Now both of them grew up and the trouble friend started asking the other friend about why he is so good and what it gets him. Then he went on to explain how he doesn't bother with all this praying and still he gets the same as him.

So the story continues. One day they arranged to meet at a tree. The trouble maker friend was there and was wondering why the other friend had not arrived. As the trouble friend was waiting he saw something shiny in the ground near the tree. He began to dig and he found 2 gold pots. Next to the two he noticed marks for 2 more pots but no pots. This did not bother him though and he rejoiced at his discovery.

When he looked around he saw his friend limping as a thorn had cut into his foot. He looked at him and couldn't stop laughing and again said how he does so much good, and how he does this seva yet he recieves a thorn whereas the trouble friend did no good and look at his find of 2 gold pots.

This hurt the the good friend so he persuaded the trouble maker friend to visit a local saint who could explain this injustice. They asked the saint why one person did so much seva and got nothing and the other person who did negative got so much more. The saint listened and said to the good friend 'you think you got nothing but you got more in this life than your other friend'.

He then explained that in the past life of the good friend he was a very bad theif. He has a lot of debt to repay and on this day he was supposed to be hanged however he did so much seva and good that his debt got reduced to little thorn stinging into his foot.

Then he looked at the trouble maker friend and said how in his past life he did good and on this day he was to be rewarded with 4 gold pots but because he did no good in this life the other two pots were taken away. With this the trouble friend realised he has infact seen two marks next to the pots he had taken. He humbly bowed his head and both of them realised that things are not what they seem.

So what I learnt from this is that anything can happen. I think sometimes we focus on what is happening and look at other etc but instead if we just do the best we can then we will be fine.

Maharaj Ji only does what is 'good' for us. As he is our parent, he doesn't do anything 'bad' for us.

Suicide and all those negative things are out of the question because a parent will never write such horrifying things for you. But if it does happen, it'll be you---all your decision. You will make this decision and therefore, give your parent a lot of grief to deal with.

And about all the other things, I was confused too... :happy:

So I went to Maharaj Ji. At first, he just sighed and said "Oh, it's you! You're back again!"...And then he gave me a lovely smile and said "Awww, I was kidding! What is it that you want now, my child?"...

And so I asked..."Maharaj Ji, I have many questions. First, How do I find peace?"

Maharaj Ji says:

ਜੀਅੜਾ ਅਗਨਿ ਬਰਾਬਰਿ ਤਪੈ ਭੀਤਰਿ ਵਗੈ ਕਾਤੀ

jeearra agan barabar thapai bheethar vagai kathee ||

My soul is burning like fire, and the knife is cutting deep.

14 Gaurhee Guru Nanak Dev Page 98 Line 29

ਪ੍ਰਣਵਤਿ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਪਛਾਣੈ ਸੁਖੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਦਿਨੁ ਰਾਤੀ ੧੭

pranavath naanak hukam pashhanai sukh hovai dhin rathee ||6||5||17||

Prays Nanak, recognizing the Lord's Command, I am at peace, day and night. ||6||5||17||

15 Gaurhee Guru Nanak Dev Page 98 Line 30

Then I asked, "what is that Hukam by which one can be at peace day and night?".

Maharaj Ji answered:

ਗੁਰਮੁਖ ਸਉ ਕਰਿ ਦੋਸਤੀ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸਉ ਲਾਇ ਚਿਤੁ

guramukh so kar dhosathee sathigur so lae chith ||

Make friends with the Gurmukhs, and focus your consciousness on the True Guru.

301 Salok Vaaraan Thay Vadheek Guru Amar Das Page 95 Line 301

ਜੰਮਣ ਮਰਣ ਕਾ ਮੂਲੁ ਕਟੀਐ ਤਾਂ ਸੁਖੁ ਹੋਵੀ ਮਿਤ ੬੬

janman maran ka mool katteeai than sukh hovee mith ||66||

The root of birth and death will be cut away, and then, you shall find peace, O friend. ||66||

302 Salok Vaaraan Thay Vadheek Guru Amar Das Page 95 Line 302

And then I asked, "Who are those blessed ones that walk according to the Hukam?"

Maharaj Ji said "You ask too many questions kiddo!". And then he said, "I was kidding again! That was a Good Question".

And he answered:

ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਲੋਕੁ ਭਗਤਿ ਕਰੇ ਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਸਬਦਿ ਸਮਾਇ

anadhin lok bhagath karae gur kai sabadh samae ||

Night and day, people worship the Lord with devotion, and are absorbed in the Word of the Guru's Shabad.

268 Salok Vaaraan Thay Vadheek Guru Amar Das Page 95 Line 268

ਆਪੇ ਸਚਾ ਬਖਸਿ ਲਏ ਕਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਕਰੈ ਰਜਾਇ

apae sacha bakhas leae kar kirapa karai rajae ||

The True Lord Himself forgives them, and showering them with His Mercy, He leads them to walk in His Will.

269 Salok Vaaraan Thay Vadheek Guru Amar Das Page 95 Line 269

And then I said, "Maharaj Ji, You are just awesome!". He just smiled. :happy:

I have always been confused as to what sikhi teaches us about what is and what isnt written for each person. I know that birth, death and marriage are all written before we are even born but is there anything else in out lives which has already pre-destined to happen and for which we do not have control over? For example jobs, how much money we will have in this life etc. Is it already written how much naam simran/bani we will do in this life or do we control this? For someone who commits suicide-is that also written to happen?

Would appreciate anyone who could share their knowledge on this

Fathe

God is constantly shaping and forming the Universe.

Each human being is an extension of God's Power. We all have the capacity to shape the Universe.

However, we are bound the rules of Dharamsaal, in that what we sow we shall reap in the next life.

This does not mean that your every thought and action has been written like a script. But the conditions of your birth in next life, and if you are lucky the meeting of Guru, or self realisations may be deemed given to you in this life. You may choose to listen or disregard them, thus perpetuating the cycle of Karam.

If you live Dharam, then you eliminate these bondages if the Guru so wishes of you.

The reality is, you must create the world in which you live

A good example is when Guru Amar Das Ji was meditating, and one of his daughters noticed that the pedastal upon which he was sitting was about to break and fall. She placed her arm underneathe so that Guru Ji's meditation would not be disturbed. Upon coming out of Samaadhi, the Guru saw his daught'ers arm bleeding and said why have you done this, now I must give you whatever you request.

She requested that the Guruship remain in her family for all times to come.

Thus, Guru Ji stated, new hardships will fall upon this lineage now that a change must be made. However, your wish shall be granted.

In this way, the lineage of the Guruship remained in the single family until ultimately reaching the current form of Shabad Guru.

God is the Creator of millions of planets, Universes, and heavens.

This Creation is being formed and the stream of life is moving in whatever way it is to be fashioned.

just wanted to say i think this is a reallly good question asked...personally i dont know much and i ask the same questions to myself too..but i think that repleys that others have given are really enlightening and wonderful i love the story that Barfi n Mithai have given thats a story i will deifnatly rember when i think why did i not get the exam results i wanted

:vaheguru: