What Would You Have In The Ideal Gurdwara

If I was a Pardhan for a day I would

1. Inform everyone that the darbar sahib IS NOT a Concert or Bhangra Hall and therefore not have the speakers so LOUD.

Children and babies have a danger with their hearing. Sangat that has not gone DEAF as yet are not able to concentrate on Gurbani shabd in peace with such LOUD speakers.

2. Announce throughout the day, the merits of listening and singing along to shabd keertan AND NOT TOO gossip and have unessacary chiter chater.

3. Provide small cushions to sangat so they are able to sit longer.

4. BAN Thadi singers.

1. LOl, haha it can be quite loud, when I read up to bhangra hall I was gonna get offended, I thought you were disrespecting a specific jatha lol ahem (lets not get onto a touchy subject) :D

2. Very nice! (y)

3. Maybe... :gg:

4. That is completely out of order, Dhadi is full of josh, also most importantly, Dhadi originated from the sixth master, Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji as they used to have it in their Darbaar.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a few thoughts (limited it to 10):

1. Indoor and outdoor akharas - employ some top pehlwan & gatka instructors. Get latest gym equipment.

2. Pay decent wages for santhiya teachers - ideally ones born and brought up in the same country.

3. Ferrari car to carry GGS Maharaj in when neccessaarry.

4. 5 Hummer jeeps to flank the above Ferrari when out and about - filled with Nihang khasadars.

5. State of the art (steel benches, decent ventillation...) kitchens.

6. Farmland attached to the gurudwara to grow food on, teach the youth farming methods and for cross-country practice. Oh yes, and stables for the horses.

7. GP led health centre with physiotherapists.

8. Ban speakers.

9. Gardens with beehives and fountains.

10. Foundry for making high quality shastars.

Here's a few thoughts (limited it to 10):

1. Indoor and outdoor akharas - employ some top pehlwan & gatka instructors. Get latest gym equipment.

2. Pay decent wages for santhiya teachers - ideally ones born and brought up in the same country.

3. Ferrari car to carry GGS Maharaj in when neccessaarry.

4. 5 Hummer jeeps to flank the above Ferrari when out and about - filled with Nihang khasadars.

5. State of the art (steel benches, decent ventillation...) kitchens.

6. Farmland attached to the gurudwara to grow food on, teach the youth farming methods and for cross-country practice. Oh yes, and stables for the horses.

7. GP led health centre with physiotherapists.

8. Ban speakers.

9. Gardens with beehives and fountains.

10. Foundry for making high quality shastars.

Vrooom vrooom, like the sound of that! lol.

I think we need a structure to establishing unity among the young, sounds silly but adopting " team building like exercises ".

Regular activity clubs sports etc.

slightly off topic :

oh and a good local sikh business directory, i rather call a sikh electrician then a someone else.

Vaaheguroo Jee Kaa Khaalsaa Vaaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!

If i was spiritually high enough I'd like to think I'd run classes to educate sikhs as well as people from the community who have a general interest in sikhi. I am so fortunate to have found this path and would like others to discover the jewel and beauty of sikhi. Through these classes I'd like to discuss key topics and questions that many individuals have to help them on their path -whether it is there destiny to follow sikhi or not.

I've always thougt too of adopting a new approach of worshipping Vaaheguroo - for why does it have to be confined to keertan? I'd promote the use of poetry and "songs" like those of 'Keep on Walking' - which may appeal more to the youth. Also a room would be dedicated to continuous keertan to be performed by anyone who has wanted to 'perform'.

The translation of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Jee would be projected onto the wall so many people who want to understand the essence of sikhi can do so, which may help them get more into sikhi. An audio of an 24/7 Akhamd Paath would also play in areas of the gurdwara to discourage gossiping and general banter amongst individuals.

English signs and posters internally and externally would aid to encourage general members of the community e.g. outside of the sikh community to feel they can approach the gurdwara to aid with their understanding, spiritual search or to eat langar etc.

There are many more things I would do, but I think i'll stop there.

Fateh!

1. i would get rid of old members of the committee who run gurudwara and get people of my age to lead.

2. start projects like feed the homeless, charity, clean up the streets(anything that gets people to know who sikhs are)

3. start a sikh awareness project and rent a huge billboard on the main road and get a picture of a singh and a singhnee with dastaar, shastr and bana and have something like "do you know who sikhs are" and leave details of sikh awareness project and contact details.

4. have a gursikh speak and tell meanings of shabads and sikh history in english something like bhai sukha ji of uk.

5. start weekely classes on importance of bana, shastrs, kesh, dastaar etc (the speaker must speak in english)

A nice big asthan where pita ji will be parkash like suchkand sri darbar sahib (no palki)

Full purataan maryada :closedeyes:

nice big suchkand sahib for guru ji :vaheguru:

Giani Singhs From Taksal like parji (menu ki patha) :D sed a vidarthee of dam dami taksal... so the sangat can benefit from shudh banee uchran..

also good teachers in keertan..raag nd normal

anddd loadsss off youth prog like every day

24/7 bani ie Akand paths , japji sahibs, sukmani sahibs going on

like soho rd Gurdwara

• 4 months later...