What Do You Think???

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

From first hand experience being addicted to watching bad movies on the internet in the past and then being addicted to chatting with people all night on MSN, everyday, and getting bad grades in school, and then being addicted to impulsive e-mail checking, I know from experience how the internet can ruin your Sikhi.

Coming from this perspective, it hurts me when people are wasting time on Sikhsangat.com (or Sikhawareness or any other forum) not doing Sikh Sangat

:(

What I mean is that there are some threads where people post messages that have nothing to do with Sikhi - now I can understand jokes and I appreciate jokes. Laughter is a great medicine. But the line "laughter is the best medicine" must have been made by an atheist or a nigura. Because they didn't realize that in fact, laughter of the body cannot do very much for us in the end. Laughter of the soul - okay, yes, that is the best medicine. Naam - the true laughter of the soul is our cure.

"maerae man har har har har har jas ootham lai laahaa har man haseeai " :umm:

blush.gif

-endemo-->

But we are so engrossed in other ways to entertain ourselves - today I spent more than an hour watching TV. It was so pathetic. And I don't know why I did it, I just didn't get up from the TV. :D

I am not shunning or putting down the people who post in the Fun / Sports section. I am NOBODY to do that anyway, and I wouldn't do that. I just wanted to ask how you feel about the posts in that section - and if they are distracting or helpful to you. :T:

Because if this website is called Sikhsangat, shouldn't it keep you focused on Sangat?

When people come to this website - If they're not doing Sikh Sangat, they're doing "some other Sangat"

and Bhai Gurdas Jee says

swDsMgiq ivxu sMg hY sB kcw cwau]

"saadhhasa(n)gath vin sa(n)g hai sabh kachaa chaaou"

doing sangat outside of "saadhsangat" is all fruitless, Bhai Gurdas Jee's vaars - the Key to Guru Granth Sahib Jee - says this...

Also in Gurbani it says "japo thaa(n) aeko naamaa, avar niraafal kaamaa"

And throughout Gurbaanee it says to "be careful not to be to engrossed in Maya"

I just couldn't take it anymore that so many of these kids are wasting their time and maybe if there was less of those posts here they would be more attracted to the other posts ..

Please understand that by posting this I'm trying to teach MYSELF to avoid distracting posts too... I am not trying to preach to anybody... I would just like the saadh sangat's thoughts on this topic.

So please share you

r thoughts... What constitutes a gurmat discussion? What are unacceptable posts? What is distracting? Is the Fun section a good attraction or a waste of time? I have no wisdom. I am really sorry if I said something against gurmat.

bhul chuk maaf karnaa jeeeeeee

-daas

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fatehh

Great post veerji! I have to say i always love reading your posts :umm:

From your ideas and points... u have great knowledge and agree wit some of your points..

u have said how this is a sikhi website and do sikhi parchaar here. But reli what is our aim, to attract sikhs, attract others from other religions, punjabis, hindus ... who are we aiming for...

I think our aim is our sikhi youth... which to my view some, well majority are going towards the wrong side and away from sikhi... to make them towards sikhi u gotta have some laughter and not always the 'strict' way. SIKHI is not strict... and while a lot think about it like that, and a lot move away from sikhi cuz they think its strict. We gotta get that idea away from todays youths!!!!

I dont have anythin against the sports sections, i just think its good to see apne sikhs getting invovlved in sports and talking about physical activity ... which guru gobind singh said himself is good for us!!!

Sikhi teaches us not to have anger, ego, greed, evils like this in our life... its always good to have al ittle fun here and there .. and joke around.

About the TV thing. HAHA.. i totally agree wit u its a total waste of time. I only watch TV if i am watching sports or eating. Other than that... the next bamari is INTERNET. I think i myself, spend hours on computer everyday. Not only on sikhsangat... which is good,, cuz ur learning and sharing ur views wit others... but a

lso on msn and other programs like this!!(Im on it rite now :wub: @ )

You can have two parts to the children argument. One, they will get attracted wit less of 'those posts' then they will find sikhi intersting. But u can also say, wit more of

those posts', they still will enjoy sikhi. (Did i make sense tongue.gif )

Hmmmm.... i dont know what else to say. But i really think there is nothin wrong with it, but i also agree wit veerjis views on spending less time on internet, TV. Play some sports sangat jio, anyone looking for sangat who not in sikhi, play sports a lot will come out, do some parchaar, tell them what sikhi is about and what it offers. This is what i enjoy doing, not just hiding sikhi within myself, but sharing it wit others.

Jun nanak mangai dhoor tis gursikh ki, jo aap japai, avra naam japavai :D

(Guru Nanak asks the dust of that gursikhs feet, that recites wahegurus name, and gets others to also!)

If i have said anythin wrong sangat ji please forgive me!

bhul chuk maph! :(

^_^ :wub: :nihungsmile:\

Also in Gurbani it says "bhajo thaa(n) aeko naamaa, avar niraafal kaamaa"
Singh ji Its Japo Ta Eko Naama Not "Bhajo"
vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

From first hand experience being addicted to watching bad movies on the internet in the past and then being addicted to chatting with people all night on MSN, everyday, and getting bad grades in school, and then being addicted to impulsive e-mail checking, I know from experience how the internet can ruin your Sikhi.

Coming from this perspective, it hurts me when people are wasting time on Sikhsang

at.com (or Sikhawareness or any other forum) not doing Sikh Sangat

:(

What I mean is that there are some threads where people post messages that have nothing to do with Sikhi - now I can understand jokes and I appreciate jokes. Laughter is a great medicine. But the line "laughter is the best medicine" must have been made by an atheist or a nigura. Because they didn't realize that in fact, laughter of the body cannot do very much for us in the end. Laughter of the soul - okay, yes, that is the best medicine.  Naam - the true laughter of the soul is our cure.

"maerae man har har har har har jas ootham lai laahaa har man haseeai "  :umm:

blush.gif

But we are so engrossed in other ways to entertain ourselves - today I spent more than an hour watching TV. It was so pathetic. And I don't know why I did it, I just didn't get up from the TV.  :D  

I am not shunning or putting down the people who post in the Fun / Sports section. I am NOBODY to do that anyway, and I wouldn't do that. I just wanted to ask how you feel about the posts in that section - and if they are distracting or helpful to you.    :T:

Because if this website is called Sikhsangat, shouldn't it keep you focused on Sangat?

When people come to this website -  If they're not doing Sikh Sangat, they're doing "some other Sangat"

and Bhai Gurdas Jee says

swDsMgiq ivxu sMg hY sB kcw cwau]

"saadhhasa(n)gath vin sa(n)g hai sabh kachaa chaaou"

doing sangat outside of "saadhsangat" is all fruitless, Bhai Gurdas Jee's vaars - the Key to Guru Granth Sahib Jee - says this...

Also in Gurbani it says "bhajo thaa(n) aeko naamaa, avar niraafal kaamaa"

And throughout Gurbaanee it says to "be careful not to be to engrossed in Maya"

I just couldn't take it anymore that so many of these kids are wasting their time and maybe if there was less of those posts here they would be more attracted to the other posts ..

Please understand that by posting this I'm trying to teach MYSELF to avoid distracting posts too... I am not trying to preach to anybody... I would just like the saadh sangat's thoughts on this topic.

So please share your thoughts... What constitutes a gurmat discussion? What are unacceptable posts? What is distracting? Is the Fun section a good attraction or a waste of time?  I have no wisdom. I am really sorry if I said something against gurmat. 

bhul chuk maaf karnaa jeeeeeee

-daas

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

bravekhalsa jee,

thank you for the correction - i've edited my original post

i am very sorry sadh sangat jee for the misquote of gurbani

guru jee kirpa karan

bhul chuk maaf karnaa jee

-daas

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Kulpreet Singh Ji, your each and every point is right. I waste tooooooo much time doing all the things that you mentioned in you post. We know what is wrong and we also know what we should not be doing it, but we keep doing it anyway. i don't know why. it is very very very very hard to turn our minds from the things that we have been doing for sooo many janams. there is always a quest of something, a kind of desire that keeps the mind haunting for soooo many years.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

hmmm you guys are right about the fact that maybe people will get attracted to the sikhi posts when there is something to invite them in..

but i don't know if that is sikh tradition... sounds more like islam

you can have this much wine, this many virgins and this many palaces in heaven if you do this and that... sounds like islam to me

guru jee does not intice us with physical pleasures - but the spiritual wealth...

i don't know i'm lost in this ...

bhul chuk maaf karnaa jeeee

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Powerful post! ^_^

Good points by Dasn Dass veerji, that the 'FUN | SPORTS' section is to get the youth into it, say someone posts something funny, and they send that link to someone, and they decide to check out the whole site, they can find something informative, and also learn more about Sikhi, and know that Sikhs aren't all strict, they have a sense of humor as well. In Guru Nanak Dev ji's sakhia, he jokes around with Bhai Mardana, sorry can't quote a specific one, you may have to go into detail to find some, but I know they're there.

It also depends on your avastha, moorakhs like myself aren't on that stage to have naam/bani going 24/7 but still holding onto guru sahib's hand and trying to walk on the path, and always striving.

Some may see that section as pointless, but if it makes someone smile is that bad? :umm: I don't think so, and if it "MAY" bring someone closer to sikhi by browsing other topics is that bad? :D I doubt it.

Instead of debating about whether that section is good or

not, one can always do Naam/Bani on their own, goto the gurdwara sahib, and do sadh sangat there, where you will get more laha, rather than visit SikhSangat.com or SikhAwareness.com.

My two cents, bhul chuka muaf! ^_^

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!