Is It A Crime To Look Good?

axesingh

Guest shastr

i am in no room to talk, but something to think about is that we make our selvs look all good and up-to-date. but are our jeevans like that as well? we have the apperance as if we are maharaj's khalsa. but do we act like his khalsa? do we have the nitnem his khalsa is supposed to have? do we know 5 bania by heart? do we know panj granthi by heart? do we know rehraas, kirtan sohela sahib by heart? do we know dass granthi by hear? how many hours of the day we spend doing simran???

its not about looking good singho. looking good from outside, and having nothing inside will not get u anywhere. who are we trying to look good for? other singhs? there singhnia? oh plz. maharaj already knows who we are and wat we look like. we should try not to care about name brands, maharaj labeled us as singhs and kaurs, he labeled us as khalsa mera satgur poora. do we need any other brands?? i think not, but if we take a look at today's khalse, i dont think it would fulfill that padhvi given to us by our father.

im sorry, but looking cool and slick with our huge dhumalle and all those nice shastrs we manage to stick in them, with our nice huge sri sahibs and thick gatre, we have our custom made chole and huge kare. but then when its time for nitnem, we seem to fall asleep. when its time for simran we hurry up and find other things to do. its true that a guru ka sikh has both bani and bani, but bani comes first. if we look at the bhagats whos bani has been given padhvi of guru maharaj, did they have nice shiny cloths? did they have sweet cool name branded cloths? most bhagats used to only have a few pairs of cloths, and those too ripped and torn. they used to live in makeshift houses, nothing fancy. and yet maharaj took them and gave them the higest status ever possible. lets teach ourselves to be low and garib, instead of being cool and slick. cuz being cool and slick with our name branded cloths wiill only lead us into our ego. "oh look, that singh's shirt cost more then my shirt, so the only way to beat him is buy a shirt that is more expensive then his right??? " WRONG!

may maharaj give us the sojhi and budhi to live life the way he intended for us to live

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im sorry, but looking cool and slick with our huge dhumalle and all those nice shastrs we manage to stick in them, with our nice huge sri sahibs and thick gatre, we have our custom made chole and huge kare. but then when its time for nitnem, we seem to fall asleep. when its time for simran we hurry up and find other things to do. its true that a guru ka sikh has both bani and bani, but bani comes first. if we look at the bhagats whos bani has been given padhvi of guru maharaj, did they have nice shiny cloths? did they have sweet cool name branded cloths? most bhagats used to only have a few pairs of cloths, and those too ripped and torn. they used to live in makeshift houses, nothing fancy. and yet maharaj took them and gave them the higest status ever possible.

=)

Guest Guest

This video should answer any doubts!

We are khalsa and when someone sees you, you should have such an overwhelming presence that the person knows you are the Sikh of the Great Guru Gobind SIngh. Remember we are sons and daughters of the greatest king, we should aspire to dress, walk and talk like hiim! he is our ONLY role model!!

i am in no room to talk, but something to think about is that we make our selvs look all good and up-to-date. but are our jeevans like that as well? we have the apperance as if we are maharaj's khalsa. but do we act like his khalsa? do we have the nitnem his khalsa is supposed to have? do we know 5 bania by heart? do we know panj granthi by heart? do we know rehraas, kirtan sohela sahib by heart? do we know dass granthi by hear? how many hours of the day we spend doing simran???

its not about looking good singho. looking good from outside, and having nothing inside will not get u anywhere. who are we trying to look good for? other singhs? there singhnia? oh plz. maharaj already knows who we are and wat we look like. we should try not to care about name brands, maharaj labeled us as singhs and kaurs, he labeled us as khalsa mera satgur poora. do we need any other brands?? i think not, but if we take a look at today's khalse, i dont think it would fulfill that padhvi given to us by our father.

im sorry, but looking cool and slick with our huge dhumalle and all those nice shastrs we manage to stick in them, with our nice huge sri sahibs and thick gatre, we have our custom made chole and huge kare. but then when its time for nitnem, we seem to fall asleep. when its time for simran we hurry up and find other things to do. its true that a guru ka sikh has both bani and bani, but bani comes first. if we look at the bhagats whos bani has been given padhvi of guru maharaj, did they have nice shiny cloths? did they have sweet cool name branded cloths? most bhagats used to only have a few pairs of cloths, and those too ripped and torn. they used to live in makeshift houses, nothing fancy. and yet maharaj took them and gave them the higest status ever possible. lets teach ourselves to be low and garib, instead of being cool and slick. cuz being cool and slick with our name branded cloths wiill only lead us into our ego. "oh look, that singh's shirt cost more then my shirt, so the only way to beat him is buy a shirt that is more expensive then his right??? " WRONG!

may maharaj give us the sojhi and budhi to live life the way he intended for us to live

:vaheguru: Great post Singh

Fateh ji sangat ji

Just wondering..

.. is it a crime to want to look good?

Everytime i go out to gurdwara, reinsabai's, work or social events i take about an hour or so to get ready. I comb and gel my beard, make sure dastaar is symetrical and that each larr is sufficiently spread out on each side of my dastaar, and make sure my clothes are looking very sharp and slick - ie. top brands such as versace etc etc.

I feel that dressing like this reflects my mentality. I am an upbeat and cool character i suppose. i don't do this pull or anything. i just feel that looking cool is beneficial not only for my esteem and confidence, but also i feel that looking good as a dastaar vala makes me a nice sikh ambassador in a white community. but also.. i am 22 and nearly on the marriage market too - so i guess this is good right?

the problem is.. when i go to gurdwara or even when i am in town I get a lot of looks. not like "eurrgh".. but more in a positive way.

should i stop making an effort? my chachi thinks i should ease up abit because if i distract people from god, (eg when at gurdwara) it is an indirect paap?

LOOOL, made me whitey

'if i distract people from god, (eg when at gurdwara)'

so your syaing you look soo good you can make people look at you in a darbar sahib, damn you must be good looking

'each larr is sufficiently spread out on each side of my dastaar'

do you use a ruler?

I am an upbeat and cool character i suppose.

After reading your post again, it sounds like you are advertising yourself, for i don't know............marriage?

go out to gurdwara, reinsabai's, work or social events i take about an hour or so to get ready. I comb and gel my beard, make sure dastaar is symetrical and that each larr is sufficiently spread out on each side of my dastaar, and make sure my clothes are looking very sharp and slick - ie. top brands such as versace etc etc.

Im pretty sure now.

but also.. i am 22 and nearly on the marriage market too - so i guess this is good right?

That was very crafty. :lol:

lol just kidding.

Guest Guest

And this is to all the sikhs who are reading this, someone mentioned we shouldnt wear too many shastar etc, we should dress dulled down like the bhagats in Guru Granth Sahib. That's ok, but if you have taken the amrit of GUru Gobind Singh's Bhata.....

YOU ARE MEANT TO DRESS LIKE THIS

http://photos1.blogger.com/hello/48/6622/6...cture%20047.jpg

and NOT LIKE THIS

http://www.preciouspeople.org/images/beggar2.jpg

Choice is yours, don't insult Guru Gobind Singh by looking messy.