what i find hard about going gudwara

you know what i go gudwara hunna and like most of the part i understand but you know i belive there's so much more that i aint got clu on what they are saying. like if the granthi is doing paath i ain't got clu in what he is saying n means. am i the only person finds this or any1 else feel the same? iv asked people to help me but like no1 exactly does. what should i do?

I know how hard it can be for you to understand Path/kirtan and lectures but don't give up. When you go to the Gurdwara Sahib, just close your eyes and concentrate on Guru Ji's suroop and do naam simran/recite waheguru waheguru or satnaam waheguru (anyway you can) slowly slowly. Though without learning Punjabi there's really no way you can understand everything which is said in Gurdwara Sahib, by doing simran you will atleast gain a lot.

You can also listen to these katha recordings in English to get some idea of what is preached at Gurdwara Sahibs: http://www.gurmatstudies.com/kathact.htm

also, you might want to find out if there are any programs by Akhand Kirtani Jatha (AKJ) in your town. At most of their kirtan programs they show the Kirtan's translation on the projector so everyone in Sangat can earn laaha. I'm sure this will help you a lot :umm:

You can post a message on www.akj.org if you want to find out about programs in your town.

i hate going to gurdwara cuz i hardly learn anything cuz i don't understand a lot of stuff :D

so i'm reading line by line english translation of gurbani along with the gurmukhi so i can understand the words that way. of course, that could take forever, depending on how much time you wanna put aside for doing that, but its a start :umm:

we were raising money for the new gurdwara, but that project is a long way off so now we have decided that we are gonna raise money to buy a projector.

Since i goto the gurdwara every sunday i will use my laptop and using the projecter we will do translations while sunday service is going on.

We have decided to sell Shabad CD's at the gurdwara. :umm:

Like SOGGS ji says, keep it up...continue to go to the gurdwara. This will help as it will all slowly sink in.

As for why katha cannot be in English. There are soo many words in gurmukhi that just cannot be translated into english as there is no equavilent word..and any similar word is not as deep and meaningful as the word in gurmukhi...

The best thing we can do is try and learn panjabi..because that will also ensure that we prononuce gurbani correctly.

Bhul Chuk Maaf!

Sat Sri Akal:

There was an awesome post about a Sikh and his becoming a Sikh. I, sadly, cannot find it, but will paraphrase from memory.

In the 1970s, the State governments in the U.S. were beginning to enforce the helmet laws. Every motorcycle rider would now have to wear a helmet or face legal consequences (fines). So this one biker was very upset at this law and thought "There has to be a way out of this". He had heard that those who wore religious headcoverings were able to exempt themselves from this helmet requirement. So he decided, I'll superfically join a religion with a headcovering, learn some rituals and then claim myself to be a member of that religion and be exempt from the helmet laws. He decided to visit a Sikh Gurudwara.

The first thing he noticed was the tranquility. Everything was peaceful. The Bhai Sahib of the Gurudwara passed him and gave him a warm, welcoming smile. He was drawn into the Darbar Hall, in which Kirtan was going on. He found it most soothing, even though he could not understand a word of it. After the diwan (service) was over for that day, he was attracted to go to the Gurudwara more and more frequently, until it became a routine (and still could not understand a word being said or sung). Finally, he decided to become a Sikh and slowly started to learn the Gurmukhi script and understand Gurbani and Katha.

Just Do It!!! Do ardaas for better understanding. It will come to you.

:e: