Mixed Raced Marriages

Guest _confused.com_

Guest _confused.com_

are gurdwaras allowed to let certain marriages take place?

sikh and hindu

sikh and hindu punjabi

sikhi and white

sikh and black

sikh and muslim

sikh and jew

sikh and whatever?

when i recieved a wedding card regarding a sikh and hindu (south indian) wedding, i went to the concerned gurughar and asked them why they are allowing this.

i also told them what i knew about the maryada of a sikh marrying a sikh

they replied saying its all about the "love" and respect...

so if a muslim marrys a sikh and shows love and respect why do they object?

i am personally against the idea of a sikh marying a non sikh but i want to advise them and show them something to stop these kinds of marriages happening..

plz reply asap as many marriages have been booked in this season..

vjkk vjkf

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i really dont know much on this subject so i will give my personal opinion

if you think about it, a muslim marrying a sikh??????

what will their kids be

its such a great seva to bring up kids in sikhi but will those kids not be confused??????

if my memory serves me correct, guru nanak dev ji said that we should have kids and pass on the gift of sikhi

i dont think it matters what maryada says about it as its simple logical thinking.

Mixed race marriages amongst Sikhs ain't wrong, like Punjabi and Gora Sikh or Gora and Kala Sikh etc.

But MIXED FAITH MARRIAGES are wrong, like the ones you mentioned.

Rehitnamas clearly state not to have Roti-Beti (food-daughter relation) di Sanjh with non-Sikhs.

WJKK WJKF

Guest you may wish to change your title to "mixed faith" marriages.

There is some irony in how the question is posed, as race has the same non status as caste according to sikhi.

When we as sikhs understand sikhi, Gurudwara's will be a place where mixed race marriages between sikhs may have a special symbolic celebration. Mixed faith marriages are not the same.

Guest _confused.com_

sorry i meant mixed faith marriages thanks for correcting

if mixed faith marriages are wrong then why do gurdwaras allow it

they say it dont matter

u love ur religion ... he/she loves she/he ... u love some thing anything goes against it ur hurt ... he/she loves something and they are ready to against what others love ... so it all about love u see ... ur a religious guy when u hear about hindu sikh muslim wedding ... u thought it that way what about mareyada naam simren kids etc ... they dont think about it they may be not religious ... so do simren and let people decide how they want to go on ... we can guide but cant force them ... and lets do ardas ... there should peace in there homes ...

are gurdwaras allowed to let certain marriages take place?

sikh and hindu

sikh and hindu punjabi

sikhi and white

sikh and black

sikh and muslim

sikh and jew

sikh and whatever?

when i recieved a wedding card regarding a sikh and hindu (south indian) wedding, i went to the concerned gurughar and asked them why they are allowing this.

i also told them what i knew about the maryada of a sikh marrying a sikh

they replied saying its all about the "love" and respect...

so if a muslim marrys a sikh and shows love and respect why do they object?

i am personally against the idea of a sikh marying a non sikh but i want to advise them and show them something to stop these kinds of marriages happening..

plz reply asap as many marriages have been booked in this season..

vjkk vjkf

Race is not the question. Religion, beliefs, values and morals are the questions..

As long as those are clear, and accepted and respected, race is not the issue.

There is no difference between a black man, brown man, white man, asian man etc..

RACE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RELIGION

Guest ancient_jatt

i beg to differ. many spiritual beliefs, traditions and ways of worship are based on tribes, cultures and nations; this includes hindus, ancient greeks, ancient romans, pagans, aztecs and other american indians, aboriginals, african tribes and so on and soforth.

So this makes the statement race has nothing to do with religion to not be true. Although people who worship as part of their culture do not seem to have made separate religions of them, this does happen eventually in the more zealous of fanatical circles.

And to be honest, I see it as being hypocritical when preaching against one form of tribalism and practising another when it comes to marriage.

i beg to differ. many spiritual beliefs, traditions and ways of worship are based on tribes, cultures and nations; this includes hindus, ancient greeks, ancient romans, pagans, aztecs and other american indians, aboriginals, african tribes and so on and soforth.

In the past, cultures, customs and ways of life were closely bound to race. Since nowadays people are intermixed with each other, without isolation (talking about the western way of life here), the old customs and rituals are forgotten. How many white people are still pagans? Some, but not many. How many descendants of Native Americans still remember the old wisdom?

As above, when two people marry, they should have as much in common as possible. Their ways of life should be similar. Unfortunately, in Sikhi, marriage is losing its sanctity, as it has already been lost by the Western world. People marry, divorce and remarry numerous times. It's lost its value, its meaning, its holiness.

Where two walk similar paths in life, to walk the same path becomes very easy. Where two people walk completely different paths, to merge into one becomes more difficult. Honestly speaking, in my own experience, I have met the offspring of Sikh-X marriages (where X is any religion or even atheist) and they know nothing about Sikhi, or very little. They do not practice the Sikh way of life, nor do they care to.

This is a reflection of the parents and their attitudes. If they are not religious enough to want to bring up their children in the way of Sikhi, why do they bother to get married in a Gurdwara? IMO, unless both parties are interested in Sikhi and are shown to have some knowledge (or even better, are seen regularly in sangat) of Sikhi, they should not be married in a Gurdwara.

Why bother to marry in front of someone whose teachings you do not follow?

Guest ancient_jatt

well to be honest i have seen some, actually i would say many these days, sikh families that are into sikhi, but so out of touch with their cultural and traditional values that it would be better to marry into a traditional than one of them.

Also, since SGPC started the anand marriage act, the current form of marriage we do is most probably not the way it was done before anand marriage act, perhaps not even the direction of prakarma?

And I don't know how much knowledge each person has of Adi Guru Granth Sahib who takes part iin anand kartaj act.So can't really judge these days, well I don't think so anyway.

It even used to be quite a normal thing for sikh and hindu marriage 100 years ago. In hostory, nihang singhs used to go marry women in the area they were, perhaps conquering lol.

Again, its all perspective I guess.