Rakhriya

While you are at it you might as well ban Mothers Day and Fathers Day and your own birthdays, many may agree with this but AkaalPurkh gave us these relationships and there is nothing wrong in celebrating them, to an extent. There is nothing wrong with a birthday celebration, as long as it does not involve partying and booze, if we celebrate these relationships with AkaalPurkh in mind, that He has granted us a daughter whose birthday we are celebrating or another year of my life has passed with Gurus grace, or I celebrate my brother / sister relationship then there is nothing wrong here.

I'm not saying you are wrong for your opinions, but I must point out:

Mothers Day, Fathers Day and a birthday do not have any sexist reasons behind them, like Rakhdee does. Unlike rakhdee, there are no ideologies attached to birthdays, Mothers Day, and/or Fathers Day.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Rakhri merely symbolizes a special day between brother and sister, it reminds brothers to look out for their sisters and vice versa.

An excuse to give the daughter of the house a present / pyaar in the form of a gift.

An excuse for a sister to go out and choose a nice rakhri for a brother.

A way of promoting Love and Respect between siblings.

I for one think it is a good thing and great tradition we have had for years

Useless ritual, your better off keeping your shoe laces in your Air Max's. anyone who argues for it needs to go speak to Frank cos ur high on bhang (or do they call drugs a more acceptable name these days? Sukkha Prasad maybe, that sounds more acceptable doesnt it?? Glastonbury anyone :6 )

at the end of the day you don't believe in it, why knock it?

whats the point saying that YOU'RE better because YOU dont do it?

does it make you a better person if YOU dont do it?

all this TU TU MEH MEH is a load of BULL, just relax and try your best to be a good person

Thats fine if its just a day, but you dont need a piece of STRING to remind yourself to protect your sister! This in itself is a RITUAL which sikhi strictly is against!
It's good that people think of protecting their sisters...except the problem lies in the significance of this day/belief.

It is important for a guy to protect his sister.

It is important for a girl to protect her brother.

It is important for a guy to protect a guy.

It is important for a girl to protect a girl.

It is important for a guy to protect all girls.

It is important for a girl to protect all guys.

It is important for a guy to protect all guys.

It is important for a girl to protect all girls.

For those who want to celebrate this day strictly to show love to their sisters and brothers, that's a good thing. However, why with a rakhdee? It is actually a promise. The rakhdee means "I will protect you sister. In one year, I shall renew this agreement, due to the (one-year) expiration date."

A guy is sitting in India, and his sister is in Australia.... That is what I call an unsuccessful raakhee lol. :lol: It will only be God doing everyone's raakhee.

But meh.... If someone wishes to follow this Hindu ritual for even a day...that is quite sad.

Instead of money, sweets and of course the rakhdee, why don't we Sikhs give other gifts?

If you really wish to celebrate this day because it is as important to you as mothers day/fathers day etc... Then make it your own.. Why do it in the Hindu way, which is meant for guys telling sisters they will protect them..?