Gnnsj Gurudwara Hounslow

Guest Pangati

p.s. caveman your signature statement

I HATE EVERY FANATIC!!!!!!!!!

is not very appropriate as using the same logic you would be expressing hatred for our Gurus!!

let me elaborate:

During the times of Guru Nanak Dev Ji women were considered second class citizens and people of low casts very extremely oppressed and abused.

Guru Ji was VERY FANATICAL in his ideals and standards:

fanatic: marked by excessive enthusiasm for and intense devotion to a cause or idea; "rabid isolationist" being filled with excessive, uncritical zeal, particularly for an extreme religious or political cause or in some cases sports, or with an obsessive enthusiasm for a pastime or hobby. ...

applying the logic of fanaticism we can say all our Gurus were extremely fanatical as they turned the accepted wisdom on its head!!

Nihung's are the most fanatical as they were, and still are the most staunch supporters our our Gurus!!!

the picture you have as your avatar, that Singh was also very fanatical as he and his regiment defied logic choose to stand and fight to the death, even though they were vastly outnumbered by the Japanese and had lost their chain of supply!!!

Maybe the issue is lack of physical excercise and bad eating habits within our community. Most of our elder generation have neglected physical excercise, whereas in olden times all Sikhs would have a good regime of physical excercise, from Kethi Baari, Mehntha, Dand Behtaks, Shastarvidiya, Mal Yudh, Pehri Par Behtna which kept them in good health and promoted well being. Nowadays most Sikhs (including young'uns) are unhealthy, do not excercise and over indulge in bad food.

The Gurdwaras should reform the way they cook langar, make it more healthier and provide classes for old and young to participate in physical excercise. Most people are probably beyond help due to their age but even individuals like Fauja Singh the runner are a great inspiration. Even if each old person had a group who they could walk with they would automatically improve their health, sorting out issues which are currently plauging our community, diabities, cholesterol, high blood pressure, stress, mainly caused by bad eating and no excercise. If everyone was fit and well they could sit on the floor no problem. Most westerners are so unflexible they cannot sit down chaunkri maarkeh.

Excuses are no reason to change the maryada of the Guru, instead we should change ourselfs. By submitting to peoples ailments and installing tables and chairs we are adding to the problem, by encouraging and improving healthy living we are helping and aiding the older and younger generations.

From the times of Guru Arjan Dev Ji, physical excercise has been key to the lifestyle of each Sikh, get up and do some! If your body is healthy your mind is healthy, if your mind is healthy you can focus your mind on meditation easily, Its all connected.

Gurbar Akaal, you have hit the head on the nail! physical prowess is a thing of the past amongst most sikhs. We should try and bring this back into sangat. gona take time but its something that should definetly be discussed.

sitting on floors is more than equality. we could have chairs in Gurus darbar and raise the palki by one metre and we would technically all still be sitting b4 Guru ji at an equal level, but somehow you cant picture it can you?

in indian and probably most cultures, the servants always sit on the floor in thier masters house to eat. We go to our masters house(guru) and we are slaves of that house and His servants. If we have nimrata and beleive we are the golae of Guru ji then we should keep our Mann Neeva and Matt Uchi. THis way there would nt be any arguments.

........ theres only two tables in the corner with 8 chairs.

Nah Singh, they've changed it now - they've put tables and chairs everywhere except where the old table in the corner was. That's been replaced by two tiny strips of carpet.

look, GNNSJ hounslow, do have very elderly people who come to the gurdwara, if you see them then you will understand why they cannot sit on the floor, some of them find it hard to even do namaskar! theres only two tables in the corner with 8 chairs.

I think its reasonable to have chairs and tables for those that cant sit on the floor, but unfortunately people try to take advantage of this policy for the eldery/handicapped. The same way people take Handicap parking spots! There should be signs that read chairs for those who cant sit.

........ theres only two tables in the corner with 8 chairs.

Nah Singh, they've changed it now - they've put tables and chairs everywhere except where the old table in the corner was. That's been replaced by two tiny strips of carpet.

serious?

i havent been to the langar hall in months i shall check it out asap, but everytime i wlak past the langar hall i dindt see it full of tables :S

• 1 month later...
Guest B'ham Singh

Sangat Ji

It is also HUKAM from GURUJI to be initated into the KHALSA. Lets look at getting people initated into the Khalsa rather than worrying about things like this as a whole.

Singh from Birmingham

• 2 months later...
Guest Simranit

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki fateh

I hope i am not wrong, but was langar not introduced to make all people of all religion caste creed race etc equal.

If this is the case then why does it matter what level we sit at to eat our langar, so long as we all sit at the same level.

all sitting on floor = same level

all sitting on tables and chairs = same level