Sant In Sikhism

To throw Sant title on people only started becoming common in the past 100 year in Khalsa Panth.

it first started to be used ON Baba Attar Singh ji Mastuana Wale. (though he was indeed a Gurmukh as per Gurbani :) )

Some say Sant Teja Singh was the first one to use it...

SANT BABA title only evolved later on.....

Here is an intresting pic...

sant word has been added in gurmukhi like this----> (SANT)

it clearly shows it was used only on people with SAINTLY character/life.

BHai Attar Singh Matuana wale

now some people have even come up with more unique titles such as 108 Brahmgiani :rolleyes:

god knows what is next :huh:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, in Gurbani Bhagat Kabir Ji refers ti himself as 'Sant' at one point and Bhagat Prehlad is also called 'Sant' at one place. However, it's use has become much more widespread in the last few decades.

can you please post the Gurbani pangtees you are talking about ? (it will only take 2 minutes the most ;) )

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can you please post the Gurbani pangtees you are talking about ? (it will only take 2 minutes the most ;) )

ਸੰਤ ਪ੍ਰਹਲਾਦ ਕੀ ਪੈਜ ਜਿਨਿ ਰਾਖੀ ਹਰਨਾਖਸੁ ਨਖ ਬਿਦਿਰਓ ॥੩॥ - Bhagat Prehlad

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=3254 - Bhagat Kabir refers to himself as Sant.

im not aiming this at anyone.....but nowadays 2many mis-interpret gurbani to suit their own beliefs......theres no fear or respect for gurbani anymore........once a friend said to me that he was too scared to mis-interpret english translations of gurbani......let alone actual gurbani in gurmukhi.....and it makes me think of the state the rest of us are in!!

i suppose its kaljug.......the left hand deceiving the right

To throw Sant title on people only started becoming common in the past 100 year in Khalsa Panth.

it first started to be used ON Baba Attar Singh ji Mastuana Wale. (though he was indeed a Gurmukh as per Gurbani :) )

Some say Sant Teja Singh was the first one to use it...

SANT BABA title only evolved later on.....

Here is an intresting pic...

sant word has been added in gurmukhi like this----> (SANT)

it clearly shows it was used only on people with SAINTLY character/life.

BHai Attar Singh Matuana wale

now some people have even come up with more unique titles such as 108 Brahmgiani :rolleyes:

god knows what is next :huh:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, in Gurbani Bhagat Kabir Ji refers ti himself as 'Sant' at one point and Bhagat Prehlad is also called 'Sant' at one place. However, it's use has become much more widespread in the last few decades.

The pangtees, and many more, are referred to in the series of articles that i have already put up. How serious are you about learning if you're not willing to read the things people put up? Why engage in debate then?

http://khojee.wordpress.com/category/role-of-sants/

with all due respect to everyone i feel such debates are pretty pointless. I mean, how does probing someones avastha make our jeevan better? If someone uses this title sant then so be it! Its our haumai that stands in the way of being neutral about it, isnt it? We could be using this time for something far more constructive, THE thing that is going to bring us closer to Waheguru Ji but nahi huh.gif

with all due respect to everyone i feel such debates are pretty pointless. I mean, how does probing someones avastha make our jeevan better? If someone uses this title sant then so be it! Its our haumai that stands in the way of being neutral about it, isnt it? We could be using this time for something far more constructive, THE thing that is going to bring us closer to Waheguru Ji but nahi huh.gif

I agree vir ji. But those who claim sants do not exist, they are misleading sangat, creating confusion in their minds. This kind of reckless thing needs to be checked as I have seen first-hand just how damaging this kind of confusion can be to new seekers.

Read very carefully:-

"Sant anantehe anter naahi."

and

"Parbraham Gur naahi bheo."

By comparing both the Tuks, it is clear that there is no difference between

GOD and GURU( Sant word used as synonym of Guru)

I do not understand why this ample truth is not digestable to some of the

Waheguru ji ka Kalsa Waheguru ji ki Fateh

again, k. singh deep ji, just answer this one question. so when listening to katha by sant gurbachan singh ji khalsa, sant kartar singh ji, sant jarnail singh ji, or even gaini thakur singh ji, when they explain the meaning of sant as a person being of a certain avastha, or when gurbani says to do seva of the sants, they translate it as doing seva of an individual of high avastha, that means they are doing wrong arths of gurbani??

we should ask ourselves, why is there so much confusion? Why do so many "scholars" say that sants do not exist? I think there are two reasons for this:

1) To prevent people from being misled by a fake sant. – This viewpoint shows a lack of sharda on the individual’s part. Fake sants existed during the Guru’s time as well. Recall Sajjan Thag, who masquaraded as a holy man to steal people’s belongings. Nobody has any right to mislead people about Gurmat Marg. Those who do this for another’s “own good” are acting in haumai.

2) To deliberately mislead people as sants teach things that are different from the so called scholar’s own ideology. These “scholars” often use the excuse in number one.

-http://khojee.wordpress.com/2008/02/20/vichaar-on-the-role-of-sants-in-sikh-dharm-part-6/

again, k. singh deep ji, just answer this one question. so when listening to katha by sant gurbachan singh ji khalsa, sant kartar singh ji, sant jarnail singh ji, or even gaini thakur singh ji, when they explain the meaning of sant as a person being of a certain avastha, or when gurbani says to do seva of the sants, they translate it as doing seva of an individual of high avastha, that means they are doing wrong arths of gurbani??

I'd also like to hear a response to this. Note that so far in this thread, these people just pick and choose what they will answer.