Disparaging Remarks about Sikhs Made on SNL!

Waheguru Je Kha Khalsa, Waheguru Je Ke Fateh:

I happened to be up late last night watching NBC's broadcast of Saturday Night Live, and was upset to hear SNL actor Jimmy Fallon make some disparaging remarks about Sikhs during a skit that he did with the Olsen twins within the first half-hour of the show....

I cannot remember what he said exactly, but to the best of my recollection, it unfolded as follows:

He was playing the role of a radio DJ and during the skit, he also took on the role of several different characters, using different voices to distinguish between them.

One of the voices he used was done imitating a fictitious Indian named "Sanjey" or "Sanjay." A dialogue ensues in which another character voiced by Jimmy Fallon says something to (paraphrasing here)

"Hey Sanjay….you damn Arab…"

"I’m not an Arab, I’m a Sikh"

"Then why are you wearing that towel on your head?"

Now, I'm just curious as to whether anyone here happened to catch last night's show (broadcast in the USA and Canada only I believe) and if you can confirm whether what I heard was correct?

FYI, I sent off a quick e-mail to SMART a few minutes ago about this, as I think at the very least, it is worth looking into. I've also made them aware of the fact that I was going to start a thread on this forum to see if other Sikhs out there happened to see the broadcast and/or taped it.

I welcome your thoughts and comments on the matter. Likewise, I will try to keep you guys posted if I learn anything more.

-Gurfateh

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not watch that show. The person who called turban "towel" must have vision problem and needs to see the doctor asap. He should have opned his eyes and saw the difference between the town and turban. Sometimes these people who think they are americans and look at us as arabs, don't know that this country belogns to Native Americans....

Guest mehtab

Indians are jealous, why? coz they have to call every Sikh as sardar JEE even if its an ordinary Sikh!

Goray are jealous, why? coz they think they rule the world yet Sikhs are the ones who wear a crown all the time!

Besides taking action, lets feel pity on these illiterate people who spend a good part of their life at an institution they call school/college/university.