Urgent: Injured Pigeon

Tony

FATEH. ....

I may get laughed at for posting this here.

Came home and mother tells me theres been a pigeon in the garden all day who cant fly. Had a look. Poor thing looks ok but cant seem to fly. When I have tried to get close poor thing just runs away.

Surely he will get eaten by the cats or something else tonight. Called RSPCA who have passed the call to their field staff but were unsure if there would be anyone available tonight in London.

Oh well - any suggestions are welcome.

Fateh. . . . .

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Have you tried contacting a Veterinary Surgery/Wild life hospital? Check the yellow pages for your nearest one. If you can't get hold of one tonight try putting the pigeon into a box and placing it in your garage (assuming that you have one) and get it seen by a Vet tomorrow.

Also try http://www.londonwildcaretrust.co.uk/ and give them a call on their emergency line 020 8647 6230. They may be able to send a team out or offer you further advice on what to do with regards to handling the pigeon etc

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

FATEH. ....

I may get laughed at for posting this here.

Came home and mother tells me theres been a pigeon in the garden all day who cant fly. Had a look. Poor thing looks ok but cant seem to fly. When I have tried to get close poor thing just runs away.

Surely he will get eaten by the cats or something else tonight. Called RSPCA who have passed the call to their field staff but were unsure if there would be anyone available tonight in London.

Oh well - any suggestions are welcome.

Fateh. . . . .

You can ring RSPCA they will give you a number which you can quote they will also help you with a 24 hr vet ...quote the number when you get to the vet... they should not charge

Hope this helps

Fateh....

B SIngh

Birds are sometimes found in the garden, apparently looking uninjured, wondering and hopelessly trying to fly - here are the possibilities:

1. This behaviour is sometimes seen a few hours before death.

2. It is injured eg got clipped by a car.

3. Pidgeons are notorious for finding fermenting grains left in farm sheds at this time of year ie its drunk.

You can do the following:

Pick it up and open its wings to check state of feathers and bones - if broken, then its a gonna - leave alone. Otherwise you may want to attempt nursing it - if so be careful about flees and so keep it in a shed in a box, with newspaper shreds to keep it warm. Offer it a bowl of water and place worms (dead ones or alive) in the bowl. Check on it in the morning. If its still alive and behaving in that way, then its unlikley to get better - put it where you found it and let nature do the rest - even if that means a cat gets to it.

Even if not veggie - never eat an apparently ill animal!

Please let us know the outcome.

vgjkkvgjkf

about 15 years ago same thing happened to us. we had taken the bird in a box to some animal rescue place.... we were later told by a vetinary that they prolly killed the bird because birds hardly ever recover from shock or if they do recover the road is too long.... i duno how much truth there is in this. but we were told they would treat the bird just to put our minds (being children) at ease but they have enjections n stuff to do the job.

if i was you i would just aid the bird the best u can(see jangal da's post - do be particularly carefull as they do carry germs... ive heard pidgeons in london carry clamedia... again i duno if this is fact )... give some pani and leave it undersome shelter on your roof/shed as advised. if it lives it lives if it dies it dies.

pidgeon.jpg