Iron Blocks

Khalasthan86

Bhaji rather then trying to find blocks of pure iron, would it not be better to find iron tubing.

You could get different thickness of iron tubing and then all you need to do is cut and shape.

If you are in the UK, go to Yellow pages or Thomson local and search for ironmongers or wrought iron manufacturers or look for iron tubing.

and how will u make kare ... u need to have experience in the work of ironsmith ... i dont about there but here its done in bathi ... whose temperature is over 1500 c ... and then comes beating with the hammer time to give it a full round shape which needs load of experience and perfection ... and all this is work which should be learned under proper guidance ...

Well I would suggest to take the money and to do it in India. Go to a smith or more. There are still a lot of smith doing that. You dun have to buy it from the Mainstream bajaar or from the main ppl who produce the Sarbloh Karre. You could help some poor families or poor smiths with work financialy...

Bhul chuk maaf Wjkk Wjkf ji

Singh# -

I don't know if you have any machining experience bro but incase you do/don't AND you want to make karra for yourself, I would suggest using some kinda High grade Ferrous Metal C60. Mahteen was correct in saying pure 100% iron is a rare species, therefore you should be looking for Ferrous material with 0.83% C and with increase in Fe3C content there is an affect on material fracture toughness (it decreases). I would not suggest not looking anything beyond 0.83% as it simply transforms from ductile to brittle. The machinability is reduced beyond this point and if you are looking at making it yourself it would just get harder and harder.

As Bundha mentioned, it would be ideal to go with circular tubing for the size that you want and depending on your experience I would say you can go as fancy as CNC or you may find Lathe as the easiest operation.

Now finding the material is real easy if you go to a college or University, ideally every University has a machineshop with different Fe3C grade material and also it should have Lathe for machining. Incase, you do not have an access to a University machineshop, you can hit yellowpages.

Hope it helps,

Waheguru Ang Sang!

You need to get yourself round billets not blocks to make Karai. You will break your CNC/Lathe machine straight away if you put a block onto it. Ontop of that you will be wasting more then half the metal if you buy blocks, and increasing the time it takes to make your Kareh.

What machine are you going to be using?

What dimensions are you lookin for? Height / Width