Congratulations

Khalasthan86

Fateh parwaan karo jiyo,

And Democracy also rhymes with autocracy.

The Indian Media keeps referring to 1984 Genocide as 'riots'. Cannot be riots because Sikhs were targeted and killed in cold blood and most cruelly and there were non Sikh casualties. Gujarat was a riot because there were both Muslim and Hindu casualties, though I do agree there were more Muslim casualties.

My Camp Office was in Delhi as I was negotiating with the Government for a Order. I flew down to Mumbai for a few days and was to fly back on Oct 31. On Oct 30 I told my wife that something within me was telling me not to go to Delhi. I had been blessed with a son on 31 July 1984 and I thought my love for him was acting up. Anyway my wife told me that in the evening we would be going to Gurudwara and I could take my decision based on the Hukam of the day. After our marriage my wife and I had made it a habit to walk to Navy Nagar Gurudwara from our home in Colaba (about 4 Kms). The Hukam in the Gurudwara was:

basant savarag lokah jittay parithvee nav khandnah.

They may live in heavenly realms, and conquer the nine regions of the world,

bisrant har gopaalah naanak tay paraanee udi-aan bharamneh. ||1||

but if they forget the Lord of the world, O Nanak, they are just wanderers in the wilderness. ||1||

ka-utak kod tamaasi-aa chit na aavas naa-o.

In the midst of millions of games and entertainments, the Lord's Name does not come to their minds.

naanak korhee narak baraabaray ujarh so-ee thaa-o. ||2||

O Nanak, their home is like a wilderness, in the depths of hell. ||2||

Something in me told me 'see now don't go'. After returning home I took a taxi and went to the Airline Office and got the ticket cancelled.

Had I gone to Delhi I'm sure I would have been killed on the road. Because as the news of I Gandhi's killing would have come and Offices closed down I would have gone to Bangla Sahib Gurudwara. In those days come rain or shine I would do my best to reach Gurudwara Bangla Sahib for Rehras. And while returning as I would have passed the area where they took out Sikhs from cars and killed them, I too would have been killed.

Couple of incidents hit me hard and partly caused my leaving Mumbai and settling down in Chandigarh. Without a doubt there was anti Sikh feeling injected into the system and people were anti Sikh. Every pooran Sikh was looked upon as a terrorist.

Guru Rakha

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow,

maybe one already exists, if not maybe we should have a website where any person caught up in those riots can leave their account as a lasting legecy. I think there is an untapped pool of resource here that needs to be captured before it passes out of conciousness.

I would also agree, we have not done enough for those who suffered, especially those families whose members made great sacrifices. I know that a lot of money at one time was collected for the widows etc , but alas none reached those who really needed it.

Fateh parwaan karro ji,

Wound has been scratched.

I was flying form Delhi to Mumbai. I was sick with the looks I got from the staff and others checking in at the check in counter. During the security check a 'haryanvi' cop pointing the doona of parshad in a small plastic bag in my handbag said ' Yeh kyaa hai'. I knew he as trying to act smart and I told him it was Parhsad and then I added ' You know it is Parhsad'. He responded ' Why it could be a bomb.' Something in me snapped and I gave him a tongue lashing and I was very threatening and very abusive. The Inspector on duty was a Sikh and he came running one hearing my raised voice. I told him what had happened and he gave the Haryanvi Cop a scolding. When I moved ahead tis Sikh Inspector came up to me and said ' Times are bad you should be careful.'

A month or so after the riots my wife with my son in her lap and me were driving back home from the Gurudwara. Just next to my apartment block, we call it building' a crowd had collected near a parked truck and some people were beating up a Sikh. His turban was on the ground and his kess were open.

I parked the car and told my wife to go up to our apartment. I came out and tried to intervene. The people who were beating up this Sikh started shouting at me and threatening me. Just opposite my building there was a Chemist shop run by a Punjabi from Rawalpindi and he also a gangster type of guy. Seeing me surrounded by these people he came running out and shouted out that if anyone touched me he'd take him to task. These Maharshtrains who were hitting this Sikh and then who threatened now beat a hasty retreat. This Chemist then asked me ' Bhaaji time kharaab hai eh tussi ke keeta'?

Guru Rakha

Sardar Vikramjit Singh ji

You are blessed to have survived that hell, and it is for a purpose. Please do share more stories, those which you know from first hand account, and others that you may have heard from others, like family, friends, co-workers, etc. These stories need to be told, shared and remembered till eternity, so that no one forgets what the Sikh kaum had to face.

Come what may, each and every drop of blood of an innocent killed, each and every scream of every mother/sister/daughter who was gang-raped, WILL be avenged!

Fateh parwaan karro jiyo,

My brother in law had shifted to Chandigarh earlier than me. He had put up a paper mill on the outskirts of Chandigarh,but in Punjab. One day he was sitting in the Office andsome boys came in and locked the door from inside. They told him they werekhadkoos and that they needed his vehicle. He gave them the keys and they toldhim ' After we go you will report this to the police'. He told them that theMill had no phone connection and he'd have to walk a couple of miles to phonethe cops. They heard this and said that they knew that my brother in law'sfactory heeded their calls of 'Bandh'that it was owned by Gursikhs and they walked out. After some time one of themcame back and told my brother in law that the vehicle was not starting. Mybrother in law came down and started the vehicle for them and went back to hisOffice.

After they left my brother in law walked to the Petrol Pumpwhich had a phone and informed the cops. When he returned to the Factory thecops were waiting for him and they told him that the labor had informed them thathe had helped the terrorists to start the car. He asked the Cops what they wouldhave done if they had been in his place.

Then when the Police found the car they tried to implicate mybrother in law and when they did not succeed they demanded money for release ofthe car.

Second incident …. a helper in factory was badly injured andhad to be taken to his village. My brother in law put him in his Jeep andproceeded to the village. Near the village he had to go off the road and itshere that all of a sudden flood lights came on and some firing took place.After some time a Cop came out of the bushes and signaled my brother in law tomove in a certain direction. He did so and ahead came into highly fortifiedarea. He got out of the Jeep and after some interrogation he was told that thecops had laid a trap for terrorists and that he was very lucky because theirsharpshooters were on the verge of shooting him.

This second incident he narrated to us in 2007 during a family get together. And as he narrated this i saw the shocked look on his Dad's , my father in law, face. Aftergetting out of the shock he just thanked Guruji.

Guru Rakha

But think about the ghallughara happened there after wherein +20000 innocent

sikhs ( old/young/ children/women nobody was spared) died and +10000 sikh homes

( these figures are on record whereas actual number is far more)were put to fire.

Was it not reaction of killing one lady ? This one murder costed how much? We must

think about all this and assessment of our past should be made.