Caterer Denies Using Eggs In Sikh Banquet

rupinder singh

I suppose this case highlight the negligence of the Sikh community in hiring caterers to prepare Guru Ka Langar.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/caterer-denies-using-eggs-in-sikh-banquet-1802035.html

Caterer denies using eggs in Sikh banquet

By Stephen Howard, Press Association

A caterer was ordered to pay £415,000 damages to the widow of a man who died from anaphylactic shock after eating a dessert at a Sikh wedding, Court of Appeal judges were told today.

Kuldip Singh Bhamra was allergic to eggs but believed he was safe because the wedding banquet was held in a Sikh Temple and observers of the religion do not eat eggs.

Lawyers for his widow, Amarjit Bhamra, had argued that Lucky Caterers were negligent for supplying a dish called ras malai which allegedly contained the egg.

Mr Bhamra, a research chemist, and his wife had travelled from Birmingham to the Ramgarhia Temple in Forest Gate, London, in August 2003, for the wedding attended by more than 500 guests.

Satinder Hunjan QC, representing the widow, told a panel of three judges at the Court of Appeal that eggs were "strictly forbidden" at the temple.

He said the caterer, Prem Datt Dubb, and all the Sikhs attending the wedding knew that there was an absolute prohibition on eggs.

"The deceased would be entitled in the circumstances to expect that there would not be any egg or egg product in the food which was being served at the temple."

Mr Bhamra was aware of his allergy but did not have his adrenalin pens on the day of the wedding. He fell into a coma and died three days later in hospital aged 49.

Mr Hunjan said there were more people at the wedding than had been catered for and it was alleged that Mr Dubb had bought in extra desserts which he had not prepared himself.

Mr Dubb, who charged £4 a head for the wedding meals, said he made all the food himself and said he had never used eggs.

He is appealing against the decision at Oxford County Court last November when a judge awarded the damages after ruling Mr Dubb had been negligent in supplying the dessert.

Christian Du Cann, representing him, told the court there was no established practice over warning guests about food ingredients.

"One wonders why any caterer should be under a duty to declare the ingredients."

He said Mr Dubb had prepared the ras malai himself and did not use any egg.

"There is no reason for the appellant to have sought to ignore his own tradition and serve a dessert using egg."

The appeal judges reserved their ruling to a later date.

Hiring professional caterers to prepare Guru Ka Langer really defeats the object of Langar.

The incident was very unfortunate and I pray that the family get the justice they deserve. The Gurdwara committee should also accept liablity in this death. If the evidence does prove that the egg dish was served to the sangat then they have defied Gurdwara maryada and are accountable to the wider Khalsa Panth.

General question - what counts as Langar?

Is it all food that is served in the Gurdwara, or only food which is prepared for Maharaaj Jee's Bhog and then distributed amongst in the Sangat?

Nearly all weddings these days in the UK have outside caterers for the Chaa/Pani after Milni. I would have thought this is not Langar, since no Bhog is done in front of Maharaaj Jee. However, if all food served in the Gurdwara is Langar, then the outside caterer's food also counts as Langar.

Any ideas?

The Sikh Langar or free kitchen was started by the first Sikh Guru, Guru Nanak. It is designed to uphold the principle of equality between all people of the world regardless of religion, caste, colour, creed, age, gender or social status. In addition to the ideals of equality, the tradition of Langar expresses the ethics of sharing, community, inclusiveness and oneness of all humankind. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langar_(Sikhism) In a party/restruant/chippy/etc they DO NOT consider equality in all beings, so it cannot be considered 'Guru ka langar'. That includes caterers too, if they are doing it for 'maya' then its not guru ka langar. The family deserves justice if 'Ramgarhia Gurdwara committee' are proven wrong...which as rupinder bhaji said...lets down the panth...

In My Opinion,

Guru ka Langar is made by Guru ka Sikhs (Amritdhari) while Lovingly Doing Paath, Simran, Keertan Etc., and being Extremely Cautious to the 100% Vegetarian Ingredients Being Used that no Non-Vegetarian Ingredients, such as eggs etc. even by accident is used, including All Sub-Ingredients.

By bringing food from a Restaurant, Caterer, etc. doesn't make it Guru Ka Langar. Guru Ka Langar is when the Vibes of the Shabad of Guru, Gurbani, is Put into the Food, by Gursikhs, Like Magic! When Proper Maryada is There when Making the Langar, and The Langar is Accepted by Guru and Panj Rehitvaan Khalsa, then it Becomes Guru Ka Langar in my opinion.

I believe Guru Ka Langar should be made by Khalsa and Then Shared with the World for All to Benefit Physically and Spiritually.

Bibek and Sarbloh Are Awesome!

I prefer not to argue on my opinions.

Chardi Kala!

Lol. Hey, But,

In the Times of our Great Sikhs, the On Lookers must have thought 'These Sikhs' are Magicians! When Bhai Mani Singh was doing Sukhmani Sahib and being Cut Piece by Piece. When The Great Gursikhs were being Boiled, Cut in Half, Smiling and Doing Simran; The Onlookers must have Thought, 'These Sikhs' are Magicians!

It is said of recent history when Gursikhs were jailed and their body parts were being pulled out, and severe torture being put on them, and still they were doing Simran and Paath and asking for Sarbat da Palla, the Police themselves were Shocked and used the Term 'Magicians' for These Great Gursikhs.

Hey, Maybe Khalsa are like Magicians, but,

The Real Deal! Some of Their 'Magic' is Certainly Passed Through Food Through Their Beautiful Hands and Bodies.

The Khalsa Do Certainly Have Some Power. They Certainly Do Have Some Kala! I guess it Would Be,

Chardi Kala!

In My Opinion,

Guru ka Langar is made by Guru ka Sikhs (Amritdhari) while Lovingly Doing Paath, Simran, Keertan Etc., and being Extremely Cautious to the 100% Vegetarian Ingredients Being Used that no Non-Vegetarian Ingredients, such as eggs etc. even by accident is used, including All Sub-Ingredients.

By bringing food from a Restaurant, Caterer, etc. doesn't make it Guru Ka Langar. Guru Ka Langar is when the Vibes of the Shabad of Guru, Gurbani, is Put into the Food, by Gursikhs, Like Magic! When Proper Maryada is There when Making the Langar, and The Langar is Accepted by Guru and Panj Rehitvaan Khalsa, then it Becomes Guru Ka Langar in my opinion.

I believe Guru Ka Langar should be made by Khalsa and Then Shared with the World for All to Benefit Physically and Spiritually.

Bibek and Sarbloh Are Awesome!

I prefer not to argue on my opinions.

Chardi Kala!

THis is so true, but i guess everyone is too high class to cook the food themselves and serve the langar. I guess it shows you don't have the millions.

The ones that hire caters are just <edited>. Your down right, one of the most lowly people. You are making a mockery of Guru Ka Langar.

Also the Gurdwara committees are to blame, but the <edited> that higher the catering company need the sharia law to punish them. Make them beat the fat off these <edited>. At least the sharia would be put to some good usage.

How <edited> can you be. Like honestly, how much more can you insult Guru Sahib.

There is no excuse for this <banned word filter activated>

<edited>

Welcome to the world of being under moderation