Sikh Guy Dating Middle Eastern Muslim Girl

Guest Ranjit

There's a sakhi where the Singhz ask Guru Gobind Singh ji under what circumstances does a Sikh become a Muslim (if he's captured).

I can't remember it fully, but it's something like:

If he's forced to say Salaam, is he a Muslim? Answer: no.

If he's forced to say Shahada, is he a Muslim? Answer: no.

If he's circumsised, is he a Muslim? Answer: no.

If he has kutha forced in his throat, is he a Muslim? Answer: no.

Etc.

Then the 10th Master gives the answer: If he has relations with a Muslim woman, he becomes a Muslim.

Reason being that is under your control.

I can't vouch for the accuracy of the Sakhi, but it goes to show Sikhs have never accepted intimacy with Muslim women.

If you don't want to be an amritdhari Sikh, you'd be better off with just a normal patit Sikh girl. When you marry a Muslim, half of your children's family become Muslim. Your children's mamas (uncles) and grandfather are Muslim.

So while you're trying to teach them that God is in everyone, they'll tell them that's a lie. (Yes, Muslims actually don't believe God is in everyone, or in the entire universe. Rather, they believe God is just in one place, heaven.)

The question of marriage and kids arose and I want a Sikh wedding and to have kids that are within the Sikh religion,

if guru nanak was alive today, he would tell you that you dont have any right to chose your child's religion. whent he child grows up, he/she can decide for themselves who they want to be. the conclusion is, be good and dont cause harm to others. i hope your kids become like me, athiest!! but at the end of the day, you dont chose, THEY DO!!

hiya ji,

just somthing i picked up. u say that guru ji would say that we dont have the right to choose our childs faith. i believe that too. i also believe that we dont choose our parents thus, our religion. from a religous point of view, we dont choose our religon, god duz and if we go against that, we are going against gods hukam. i.e, what god sez. yea fine, kids that have parents frm 2different faiths, have a choice to make, to which it will be harder for them to make. they must search inside theire selves what they want. i have seen very strong trends that kids that com from a multifaith background, are more inclined to one faith than another. this may be governed by attention from one particular parent than the other, or a genetic thing. this is (or can be percieved as) the hand of god (gods doing). so children wil be more inclined to one faith from my observations. but, for one to disown th faith that god himself has given to that person, is to go outside of gods wish. with respest to conversons, my viewpoint is that one must search their feelings and fully understand the scripture that they are (so called) 'ment' to follow before thy actually make the decission to convert. converting on a whim or cus of life experences is just an excuse to change ones life, in an attempt to effect change in their mind, which should be, in effect, effected by ones own self understanding, and maybe with respect to relegion.

so i feel that before you talk about what guru sahib has done/would think, i think you need to take a look at your own life decissions. because you have denounced what guru sahib/god has chosen for you, and yu have llimited yurself in saying, >i dont want to understand what guru sahib want for me, i nly want to undestand what i want for me< may be a bit selfish/ narrow minded/ limiting yourself??

i dont mean to judge, just an observatin ji..

please dont take offence...? please?!!;)

c ya

I can't vouch for the accuracy of the Sakhi, but it goes to show Sikhs have never accepted intimacy with Muslim women.

Sikhi does not accept intimate relations with anyone who is not Amritdhari.

There is a rehatnama that states not to have relations with a Muslim women. That does not mean we cant have relations only with women. Had Hindus ruled India during those times the rehatnama would have read dont have relations with Hindu women. This rehatnama was intended for those Singhs who were surviving in the jungles. In the ancient times the Mughals tried to bribe the captured Singhs with delicious food, water, and women. The Turkhs would capture the Singhs and take them to the ruler of a partciular province. That ruler then would bring women from the Harem ( palace of Sex-servants belonging to king,governor,etc) and try to seduce the Singhs in giving information. They would also offer food ( meat, fruit, bread) , and water. They knew Singhs went on for long periods of time without such these items so they were used to seduce the Singhs.

There is another rehatnama that says "do not take water from the hands of women". Obviously this does not mean do not take water from all women. We must look at the historical context when understanding this rehatnama and take into account previous and proceeding Rehatnamas. This particualr rehatnama is referring to taking beverages from those women servants of the harem. The Singhs would prefer death then taking beverages from such people because Guru Sahib says

sUl surwhI KMjr ipAwlw ibMg ksweIAW dw sihxw ]

by accepting such bribes to avoid torture is the true torture of the Soul/concscience.

So I think your statement "Sikhs have never accepted intimacy with Muslim women" is misleading. Sikhs are not to have have relations with anyone other then their Amritdhari spouse. Your statement makes it as though Muslims are lower then Hindus. In the eyes of Guru Sahib all are equal

ihMdU qurk koaU rwPjI iemwm swPI mwns kI jwq sbY eykY pihcwnbo ]

Some are Hindus and others are Muslims. someone is lliifazi (ashiah=renouncer-follower of Ali) and another an Imam-Shafi (Sunni=adherent of the Prophet) but ye recognize all human race as one.

Ranjit Singh- Anand Karaj is meant for Amritdhari Men and Women who intend to live a high spiritual life with one another and recieve liberation. A person who does not want: Mukti, to take Amrit, and have any intentions of living a high spritual life with their spouse really has no need to be part of the Anand Karaj ceremony. Because then it just becomes a ritual and doesnt serve any purpose.

Guest sikhlove
She will probably end up being better Sikh than many other Sikh girls.

thats the best point ever!

at the same time Guru Gobind Singh Ji did say not to have relations with muslim women, although that was to ensure no sikh man raped a muslim woman in retaliation to the large number of muslim men raping sikh women at the time.

Coverting needs to be her decision though, she shouldn't just convert for you, you've got the knowledge so teach her and if shes clever and worthy she'll fall in love with sikhi.

• 5 years later...

I am a muslim iranian girl who is not a flirt and planning to marry my sikh boyfriend. He is a great man and we have an amazing relationship. Marriage is about love and union not about hate and fighting. Marriage is supposed to be a happy event and the joining of two souls in love not a job application that has certain requirements. If the relationship works it works and happiness is the only thing that matters in a relationship. I have been faced with alot of discrimination from the sikh community telling me I cannot marry the love of my life because I am not indian or sikh. I am educated and come from a good family and make their son happy. What is wrong with that. People need to step outside the box and look at life with open eyes. Obviously if someone at the age of 28 is not religious and is not from a religious family they will not become religious. I would understand if you were 16 and you could fear the personality change and the change in values.