Whats The Point Of A Big Turban ?

Amrit79

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what ive heard....the nihangs used to wear big dumalleh to intimidate the people they were fighting AND for PROTECTION. Now wearing a large dumalla with the iron wire wrapped around i ( dno the name for it sorry) would impact blows from kirpans better than helmets and were very practical. Now what ive been wondering and if any1 can answer...did the nihangs wear big dumalleh generally too when they were not in battle too?

Is he fighting a great war where he needs to wear that just seems stupid and is killing his neck .. wouldn't be surprised if he had neck pains

why not just wear a regular pagh

From what ive heard....the nihangs used to wear big dumalleh to intimidate the people they were fighting AND for PROTECTION. Now wearing a large dumalla with the iron wire wrapped around i ( dno the name for it sorry) would impact blows from kirpans better than helmets and were very practical. Now what ive been wondering and if any1 can answer...did the nihangs wear big dumalleh generally too when they were not in battle too?

Is he fighting a great war where he needs to wear that just seems stupid and is killing his neck .. wouldn't be surprised if he had neck pains

Don't you got anything else better to do. Than slander another and judge.

How do you know it's killing his neck?

Admin just close the topic.

Don't you got anything else better to do. Than slander another and judge.

How do you know it's killing his neck?

Admin just close the topic.

1 tone on your head about 20 hours a day ( yes he does not take it off most of his nights )

is not going to be good for your neck.... still think I'm wrong go try it your self

y r u worrying about his neck pains?

with the power of nitnem, as proven in sikh history, even getting cut in half from head to toe has no pain, even getting burned alive has no pain, sitting in a boiling water pot has no pain, gettting cut bit by bit has no pain, taking a ride on the charkharree has no pain, walking 3 miles with ur head in ur left palm and a khanda in ur right palm, even this has no pain.

and we are only talking about a dastaar here bro, come on now. do we know how much nitnem bhai major singh ji does? no we do not. do we know how much simran bhai sahib does? no we do not, so y do we worrying if his dhumalla is bothering his neck. i think based on past history, bhai sahib is in chardikala and does not need any shanke to be done about his neck pains, which i highly doubt he has any in the first place.

dont wanna be mean or anything, but these kinds of topics is wat u call "pani vich madani", which doesnt get u anywhere.

yes, he is fighting a great war...with a fierce smile. the enemy is blustering ignorance.

The doctor told you to get some 'fresh' air, not 'french' air. :p

Who said anything bad about the man in the picture? So, if you saw him walking down the street, are you telling me you wouldn't stare and be curious about it?

That's all I see here. People are just wondering why he wears such an extraaaaaaaaaaa large turban.

"Servant of the Khalsa", before you give a tongue lashing next time, please check if there is something obstructing your view between you, and the masses.

o thank god some one who dose not flame...

back to topic ....

did guru say bigger the turban the better ??

a turban is a turban size not mattering

i dont know how true this is buh i heard a sakhi once...........in the battle of chamkaur............the two younger sahibzadey wanted to fight the jang like their older brothers...............but baba jujhar singh said to baba zorawar singh............no you cannot, your too small................so in an effort to be accepted to fight.............baba zorawar singh tied a massive bunga and dhumallaa..............he still didnt fight in the jang.............but ive been told that that is where the tradition of wearing a big dhumalla comes from...................

sorry if the above is a load of rubbish...............

Guest HaRdKaUrWaRrIoRz

Who said anything bad about the man in the picture? So, if you saw him walking down the street, are you telling me you wouldn't stare and be curious about it?

That's all I see here. People are just wondering why he wears such an extraaaaaaaaaaa large turban.

"Servant of the Khalsa", before you give a tongue lashing next time, please check if there is something obstructing your view between you, and the masses.

o thank god some one who dose not flame...

back to topic ....

did guru say bigger the turban the better ??

a turban is a turban size not mattering

i dont know how true this is buh i heard a sakhi once...........in the battle of chamkaur............the two younger sahibzadey wanted to fight the jang like their older brothers...............but baba jujhar singh said to baba zorawar singh............no you cannot, your too small................so in an effort to be accepted to fight.............baba zorawar singh tied a massive bunga and dhumallaa..............he still didnt fight in the jang.............but ive been told that that is where the tradition of wearing a big dhumalla comes from...................

sorry if the above is a load of rubbish...............

no no thats not "rubbish" that's true, i know of that as well

maybe some people are jealous that they cant tie a dumalla (big turban) cus its just so fly and unfortunately their " neck" cant handle the "pressure" ;)

• 11 years later...
Guest Gurnoor singh

It all started when sahibzada fateh singh first tied a big dumalla to look tall and show their brothers that now they are also big and they can fight too. This is when guru gobind singh ji said the larger turban a sikh ties, the more he will bw loved by guru.  The actual turban is dumalla meaning “do malla”- two cloths it is the original and only sikh dastar. The pagh was started by the king of patiala as royalty. The actual dastar is dumalla only as it is very hard for enemy to remove while battle. Otherwise today we see sikhs going on protests and getting their turbans easily removed-they should tie a dumalla that was actually the one and only sikh dastar. And at last a big turban is not a bad thing and a small one is not too it is not like if one has small turban he should feel shame or something but what matters is first a person should be sikh from inside and then from outside. Being a sikh only from heart is not okay and being a sikh from outside only is not okay too.