Chanting Waheguru - Your View

humanbeing

Sat Sri Akal everyone....I have recently noticed that in Gurudwaras, the Raagi Jathas chant Waheguru name in a peculiar manner...i.e non stop without taking a breath and chanting very fast.

My personal view is that Waheguru should be chanted in a slow manner by feeling the word from inside and concentrating. The way the Waheguru name is chanted by some Raagi jathas, it just reminds me of Hindu rituals of chanting a name non stop without feeling for it. Chanting the name non stop and very fast seems as if we are playing a game as to how long we can chant something before we loose the pronounciation.

I think the whole idea of chanting Waheguru is to focus on the Almighty and says thanks in a nicer way rather than saying thanks very fastly.

Please share your views with me.

Regards

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

I like pizza with onions and olives. There are some who don't. Should I try to prove that everyone should eat oinions and olives on their pizza and those who don't are wrong?

Sorry Praji coudn't understand what you meant by that .... If I understood you correctly then you mean that chanting Waheguru in any way is correct?

I think it is not about what one feels good but what should be the right way. Let me explain this in a different manner. For eg, a person joins a construction company as an Engineer. He is given the job because he has to build a 10 storey office complex. This building has to be built as per the Govt Regulations. But the Engineer thinks that he can do whatever he feels is "Good" rather than the right way "to follow the Rules". So he builds only 8 storey office complex and that too by using sub grade building material.

Now does this mean that he did the right job? No...because he his building was not built in the correct manner that could stand the test of time....because he felt that whatever he did was "good" does not mean that he did it in the right way.

I hope I made my point clear. Waheguru is a way to say thanks and remembering God.....Just imagine your brother/son saying thank you to you...Would you like him to say that in a repititive non stop manner and very fast or would you prefer the person say it nicely, slowly by actually meaning it?

Everyone has there own way of doing it. You stick to your way and let others do it how they want. You should perhaps doing more simran rather than making topics like this. God isnt only exclusive to the people who do simran the way you do. God understands people know matter what language they talk...no matter if they can talk or not....and whether they do simran fast or slow doesnt matter aslong as they are remebering god surely.

O and....

"Just imagine your brother/son saying thank you to you...Would you like him to say that in a repititive non stop manner and very fast or would you prefer the person say it nicely, slowly by actually meaning it?"

Stupid example,jus because they say it "slowly,nicely" doesnt mean they actually mean it. In the same way just because a person does simran fast or slow,sirf rabb jaanda....

" You should perhaps doing more simran rather than making topics like this. God isnt only exclusive to the people who do simran the way you do. "

I didn't say anywhere that My way is correct !!! Please For God sake read the words carefully before jumping to reply....If you read my words I only mentioned..."I think" smile.gif

I only invited your views on the method of chanting Waheguru...I didnt ask you to get personal by commenting on what I should do...

By the way I dont need your advice as to what topic I need to raise...if you are not interested ....please just dont reply. laugh.gif

"Stupid example,jus because they say it "slowly,nicely" doesnt mean they actually mean it. "

Please be careful with the kind of words you use out here...I haven't used such words like "Stupid" and won't be accepting such words....

Please maintain your basic decency while replying to posts...

In my opinion chanting fast builds an atmoshphere of ecstasy, whether this is good or bad, im not really sure.

I agree with your original post, simran sounds sweeter when slow paced and deliberate. When its done rapidly, pronounciation goes out of the window, and people sound as if they are making animal noises.

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Spiritual experiences are not so straight forward like a profession. Some have disdain for Dhaarna being sung, while others are inspired into Sikhi by it and revel in it. Some find Keertan to be very complicated and hard to understand, where some find it their support and everlasting means of bliss in Sikhi. Some find Paath to be very boring, and others enjoy it for hours on end.

I understand your issue...but herea are a few things to consider: 1) Some Sikhs have actually been instructed to do Simran in such a way by Guru Sahib in the Roop of the Punj Pyare. 2) Unless we have an inner understanding of what the other is feeling/going through/experiencing, we cannot comment - do we really know what the person is experiencing? 3) We must begin to worry about ourselves. We spend so much time worrying about others, but remember, in the end, it is you and Dharam Raaj, not those doing slow or fast Simran, listening to Dhaarnas etc. 4) Nit-picking such issues does not assist in achieving any sort of unity in the Panth - they are your brothers and sisters. 5) The Sikhs, while staying in Gurmat, have many means of expressing love for the Almighty. We may not experience the same Anand as another when engaging in the same Gurmat activity. Tolarance is a very integral part of a civilized society, but we sometimes fail to apply it to our own brothers and sisters.

In My Opinion,

How Beautiful Would it Be;

Very Slow Simran Singing Each and Every Akhar and Laga Matra of GurMantar,

With Absolute Love, while In the BackGround is Playing The Sound of Rabab,

and The Gurus' Instruments.

The Nagaraa is in Absolute Sehaj, Thumping Slowly but Full of Conviction.

In The Fields Sat my Beloved Baba Nanak,

And He Looked Into the Skies With His Benevolent Smile,

And The Moon and Stars Bowed in Reverence.

The Great Bhai Mardanas' Heart Was Filled with Ecstasy,

And He Sat in a Position Filled with Love,

He Brought out His Rabab, and He Looked at The Master with Delight,

The Great Baba Nanak, Smiled, and Said that the Time is Right.

Bhai Mardana Struck Those Chords, and Raag Asa was Hit,

The Great Guru Nanak, Sung the GurMantar,

And Even Darkness was Lit.

In Such Sehaj, and in Such Prem,

In One Gurmantar, Four Jughs Had Passed!

The Planet Earth, was Awe Struck in Wonder,

Even The Birds and Ants, On The Creator Did Ponder,

Their Hearts were Filled with Bliss, and Their Eyes with Tears,

Even the Birds and Ants, and All Creatures Too,

Were AweStruck, and Removed were Even Their Birth and Death Fears.

Then The Great Bhai Mardana, Struck His Chords of Raag Bilaaval,

And Happiness was Even Felt in Realms Unknown,

They Too Stopped Their Games and Dramas, And Bowed in Love To The Guru of All.

In Sehaj and Prem, The GurMantar Was Sung,

To All Hearts, Love and Peace was Brung,

The Fortunate Gursikhs Were Bestowed This Gift,

Now the GurMantar Lies in the Panj Pyarehs' Fists.

So Slow and Steady, Was the Gurmantar Sung,

Even The Ants were Crying, Tears of Love,

The Sour Fruits Turned Sweet, and Bliss Unimaginable Felt,

That Cannot Even be Spoken Off!

In one GurMantar Jughs Had Passed.

Each Akhar and Laga Matra With Love was Sung and Grasped.

(I Personally Prefer Simran in Raag; Slow, not Fast.)

Then Bhai Mardana Struck the Rabab in Raag Kalyaan,

Many Realms Unknown to Man were Even Liberated,

All Creatures Big and Small,

All ManKind Cried Joyful Tears.

The Fortunate Gursikhs, Are Bestowed This Gift,

The GurMantar Which The Panj Pyarehs Hold in Their Fist,

Even Stone Hearted Hearts and Eyes Get Filled with Mist,

From the Palace of Guru Gobind Singh is Only Anand and Bliss.

In the Jugati of Rehit, is the Fathers' Love,

The GurMantar, should be Sung with Emotions of Raag in Love,

For Guru Nanak, There is Nothing Stronger Than True Love,

For the Creator, the GurMantar Sung with Absolute Love.

The GurMantar Too, Sung with Breath,

The Jugati of This Too, From Panj Pyareh, For The Khalsa are Blessed,

The GurMantar is The Key to Secret Doors,

From the Lotus, To the Tenth Secret Gate,

With Love in the Hirda, And Love as the Bait.

In One GurMantar, Many Jughs Can Pass!

But Each and Every Akhar and Laga Matra, Must be Sung and Felt,

The Meditation on GurMantar Erases Ego and Distress,

The Akhars and Laga Matras of The GurMantar Must Never Be Changed!

The Gurmantar, Must be Pronounced Correctly, Each and Every Akhar and Laga Matra!

Each and Every Akhar and Laga Matras of GurMantar,

Must Neither be Left Out, Nor Overly Exaggerated!

This is the Opinion; of The Writer of This Script.

Each and Every Akhar and Laga Matra of GurMantar, Must be Heard, in Sehaj!

All Eight!!

Then Bhai Mardana Struck the Chords of Sri Raag,

The Mood Changed, to The Seriousness and Beauty of This Heavenly Alaap,

The Gurmantar is From The Highest of Doors,

The Gurmantar; Lost Souls it Again Blends, with The True Source.

The GurMantar is Only Bestowed in The Hazooree of Sri GuruGranth Sahib Ji, by the RehitVaan Panj Pyareh and Khande-Pahul Amrit! (Khalsa Should do Seperate 2.5 hours of Simran Daily at Amrit Vela)

Chardi Kala!!

First of all it is childish to term chanting as a Hindu way. It is very much a sikh way. heretic kala afghanis

ans sikh missionaries say that to naam jap is useless excercise. It is wrong to assess one's stage of naam

passing comments. For Those who have done some kamai fast utterance is the best way as it brings peace.

This practice has come from experience.