Sikh approved Parties?

dalsingh101

Its important that no parties take place on gurdwara premises even if meat/alcohol isn't served.

I personally wouldn't go that far. If harmless kiddies bday celebrations were to take place (without the boozing and meat), I wouldn't have an issue myself.

Nothing antiSikh is taking place. Unless I'm missing something?

Akal Takht's sandesh expressly forbids naach, gaana and tapnaa, so there is an issue with non-alcoholic and non-meat parties with Bhangra and Giddha. There are some Gurdwaras which permit kids parties, with bouncy castles, toys, games, egg-less cakes, etc., which is fine, as there is no Bhangra, Giddha or Western Music.

Akal Takht's sandesh expressly forbids naach, gaana and tapnaa, so there is an issue with non-alcoholic and non-meat parties with Bhangra and Giddha. There are some Gurdwaras which permit kids parties, with bouncy castles, toys, games, egg-less cakes, etc., which is fine, as there is no Bhangra, Giddha or Western Music.

Let's not miss the opportunity for developing a close emotional bond between kids and Gurdwaray if we can. Kids are kids and the best way to teach them is through fun things. If there earliest memories of Gurdwaray are positive and fun then it will go along way in my opinion. We should try and make it someplace more than where the young just run around or are forced to sit and listen to stuff they have no hope of understanding. This doesn't necessarily involve breaking out the tumbhi, dhol etc. by the way.....

I'm digressing, that is a whole other topic about the possible role of Gurdwaray with very young kids in the diaspora.

Admin feel free to delete this post should it be deemed too off topic.

Thanks.

'tapnaa' (jumping around) is forbidden, so bouncy castles are OK?

i dont think prohibited "nachna tappna" include games and other fun games with the kids. You could involve the kids in games, the type they have at the Sikhi camps and stuff. But no music, dance, bhangra-giddha would be acceptable. If you wanna play something at the Gurdwara saheb, it would only be keertan. Including meat or alcohol at a "party" at a Gurdwara saheb is not even a question as it is strongly prohibited.

I personally wouldn't go that far. If harmless kiddies bday celebrations were to take place (without the boozing and meat), I wouldn't have an issue myself.

Nothing antiSikh is taking place. Unless I'm missing something?

Paa jee if there is no drink and other illicit activities going on then it should be fine. If you look at the horrors that take place at wedding parties, you can see why some of the brothers would object to anything with the word party in it!

But there are great things you can do with bache.

Paa jee if there is no drink and other illicit activities going on then it should be fine. If you look at the horrors that take place at wedding parties, you can see why some of the brothers would object to anything with the word party in it!

But there are great things you can do with bache.

I've seen those horrors paji. But to use them as an excuse to deny and sort of punish children for the actions of these people seems a bit off.

The best way to get kids to learn is through fun activities. Equating a child centred, innocent party to say celebrate some success or attainment (i.e. through positive reinforcement) is no sin. It doesn't always have to come down to dhol driven, booze fueled, kebab munching, bhangra antics that our people are so famous for.

In any case I'm not promoting having parties for kids all the times, just saying that it can be a useful tool that isn't necessarily a negative one with sharabi-kebabi connotations.

We shouldn't miss the point that often it is apnay (especially apneean) who are from the most suppressed backgrounds who many times grow up to do the wildest stuff once they fly the nest. That's what I witnessed in university in England anyway.