Is Marriage Important?

khalsa50

I wanted to know what the sangat thinks about getting married. Does every sikh have to get married at one point in their life? Or is it ok if we don't. Is is compulsory to get married in Sikhi?? I wanted to know this because I am a girl who doesn't want to get married and whenever my parents or anyone else talks about getting me married, I get really mad. I really start to dislike whoever talks about it. I want to know what everyone else thinks about it.

@ chatanga - In an ideal world, then yes. But when one partner has other designs for the marriage, then trouble will always lie ahead.

what is stopping young sikhs getting married today? they worry about stuff like compatiblity, with 100% shared interests or that their husband/wife has to have movie star looks etc.

You obviously don't know me, but I also - like you - believe the above issues are superficial factors resulting from the modern world. Like you, I am from the traditional school-of-thought, which is, however, tempered with a grounding in the realities of the world we live in. However I cannot continually "hope for the best" as you seem to be suggesting. If this is incompatible with Sikhi, then I'm afraid that's my sin to bear.

To the dog 'minusing' my posts again - go make your mess somewhere else.

yes i hear what you are saying, it is obvious now, that the modern world has broken the sanctity of marriage, but sikhs who have knowledge of Gurmat and walk on this marg, are still falling prey to this notion of not getting married. And that will have repercussions on the panth in future.