Is Marriage Important?

khalsa50

research what is the status of love between man and woman, in gurmat and you will get your answer to this. i beleive that kuljit singh has written an essay about this somewhere on the net, if anyone knows where it it, copy and paste here for sangat benefit.

compatability or shared interests can become incompatibility and different interests the next day between man and wife. They are not stable, but your primary shared interest should be Sikhi, and both man and wife will learn to adjust to each others needs after mariage, that is why we are humans and not animals.

Of course, people change to some extent and people's interests change. That doesn't change the fact that some people's personalities are more compatible with eachother. A person's values and morality give you an indication of their personality, what they'd be like as a potential partner.. a whole depth of information. So they should be taken into consideration, rather than everyone just marrying said person who you don't even like because your parents want you to. Pfft. The bit in bold, well i completely disagree with that. I have lots of evidence to suggest that that's not the case at all, and it's a very backwards view that doesn't work in practice.

Of course, people change to some extent and people's interests change. That doesn't change the fact that some people's personalities are more compatible with eachother. A person's values and morality give you an indication of their personality, what they'd be like as a potential partner.. a whole depth of information. So they should be taken into consideration, rather than everyone just marrying said person who you don't even like because your parents want you to. Pfft. The bit in bold, well i completely disagree with that. I have lots of evidence to suggest that that's not the case at all, and it's a very backwards view that doesn't work in practice.

Your basing your post on two extremes. Why not take the middle path between these two extremes. Where you look at the person personality, which will change and and put more weight on the person view on Sikhi and how strong they are in Sikhi. It's not an either or decision to be made, where these traits in a person are pinned against each other, but work together to show what kind of person he or she is. If they can't stand on Sikhi together, then these two should not get married. But if personality difference is not shared to the last digit, this don't mean they should break it off. Like said before personality changes and as long as the couple keep there feet grounded on Sikhi teachings, they will have an actual marriage where problems arise, but their Gurmat paths will help them resolve and become stronger. There are so many marriages falling apart that just went on personality of the person.

And there is nothing wrong with parents picking a person for their son or daughter as long as the parents have their son or daughters best interest at heart and know what they want in their spouse.

A person's values and morality give you an indication of their personality, what they'd be like as a potential partner.. a whole depth of information. So they should be taken into consideration...

again these values and moral stance is not permanent and change in a instant. Even Gurbani is testament to this.

So a young man/woman steadfast in sikhi, may not like this or feel the same way he/she does in their 30s/40s the way they felt in their teens/20s.

As for assessing someone's personality, this will take you your whole life. The personality of a person again is not permanent.

• 8 years later...

I also donot want to marry just because i am not at all interested in getting married.. and i think guru sahib never has intention to force a person to get married...they can still get akaal purakh by true simran and path...

Also the fruits of one month bani by householder sikhs are equal to 12 times..and all are just for them ...it doesn't means that a person from his childhood  can't reach the lord or need 12 times more chanting ...

Actually true and pure intentions and proper following of teachings of guru sahib ji with connected naam bani is more important and is enough .

On 1/10/2011 at 3:45 AM, khalsa50 said:

I wanted to know what the sangat thinks about getting married. Does every sikh have to get married at one point in their life? Or is it ok if we don't. Is is compulsory to get married in Sikhi?? I wanted to know this because I am a girl who doesn't want to get married and whenever my parents or anyone else talks about getting me married, I get really mad. I really start to dislike whoever talks about it. I want to know what everyone else thinks about it.

there are actually some sikhs who are behingam (celibate)

Some Singhss who are in full time service in the Khalsa dals are Behingam

still Guru Nanak recommended grihast jeevan.

• 2 weeks later...